Studiospares SN10

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Studiospares SN10

Post by oggyb »

I'm not thinking of buying any new monitors yet but a friend has the Studiospares NS10 ripoff speakers, and he and lots of others seem to rave about them.

Do they actually do the same thing better than the original for a lower price?

I've limited experience with Studiospares, and mostly with their horrid, awful isolation booths.

(prompted by Professor Nutt's thread)
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1079 Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:00 am Location: Leeds, UK

Re: Studiospares SN10

Post by ken long »

oggyb wrote:I'm not thinking of buying any new monitors yet but a friend has the Studiospares NS10 ripoff speakers, and he and lots of others seem to rave about them.

I've limited experience with Studiospares, and mostly with their horrid, awful isolation booths.

Not to sound curt, but this thread has been done to death.
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3550 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Post by Gary M »

oggyb wrote:I'm not thinking of buying any new monitors yet but a friend has the Studiospares NS10 ripoff speakers, and he and lots of others seem to rave about them.

Lots of history on this. They are not bad for the money, Marmite speakers you'll love them or hate them.

As for the booths!!! Dont know about any issues with them, There not mix rooms they are recording rooms that sound reasonably dead. great if that's what your after. Majority of people are impressed with them and most think they are great. Depends on your expectation. When i worked at studiospares many years ago they installed them in Elstree for a new new program called "Big Brother". Bit of trivia there for ya!

p.s. I don't work for Studiospares any more!!!
Gary M
Regular
Posts: 278 Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:00 am Location: Harrogate, UK

Post by oggyb »

Ken, well if the search function was better I'd know that :headbang:

Gary M wrote:

Lots of history on this. They are not bad for the money, Marmite speakers you'll love them or hate them.

As for the booths!!! Dont know about any issues with them, There not mix rooms they are recording rooms that sound reasonably dead. great if that's what your after. Majority of people are impressed with them and most think they are great. Depends on your expectation. When i worked at studiospares many years ago they installed them in Elstree for a new new program called "Big Brother". Bit of trivia there for ya!

I'll file that under "amusing insider information"!
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary M »

oggyb wrote:Ken, well if the search function was better I'd know that :headbang:

Gary M wrote:

I'll file that under "amusing insider information"!

Honest info. The sn10's some people rave about hem others hate the things. I personally found them to have harsh mid's ans be very 80's hi-fi sounding. Great if you have a good set of monitors and you want to a-b a mix.

Esmono rooms I seen a lot of installs (including the one on site) and thought they were great. If I had he room and cash I would have one. I know thee are a few manufacturers that have them as their uk test rooms. Their not totally dead by any means and ten bigger ones need more treatment, some of the smaller ones need diffusers to make them less dead but generally less sound treatment is needed thanon your average room. The 80mm room stops and average of 35dB of attenuation.

Cheers

Gary

Once Studiospares then tascam then Studiospares again then audio technica :):headbang:
Gary M
Regular

Post by oggyb »

They have a couple at my old uni. Not dead at all like you say, especially in the low register, but certainly good for isolation. Great if you want a simple room-in-a-room configuration but I wouldn't have one.

My friend seems to get decent mixes on his SN10s, better than mine and I've been trying for at least 3 years more! Food for thought when the time arises anyway, which will be a while yet.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Post by ken long »

oggyb wrote:Ken, well if the search function was better I'd know that :headbang:

Here you go mate. Don't say I don't love you.

Studiospares

and a more recent one

Studiospares bis.
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by ken long »

There are further links to past threads in those threads and probably links in those past threads to ancient threads ad nauseum.
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by andy cross »

I got an Esmono booth when they first became available - indeed, Mike Senior came to the studio to check it out for an SoS article back in January 2003. Absolutely no problems with it being sufficiently "dead" - you can listen back to audio and there is no room sound whatever. I suspect any issues for other users in this regard might be down to the choice of flooring, which is left to the customer's discretion.
andy cross
Regular
Posts: 190 Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, England

Post by oggyb »

Thanks Ken. First link was a good read.

The flooring in the esmono room was standard issue stuff I think. Made booming noises when walked on.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Post by andy cross »

oggyb wrote:The flooring in the esmono room was standard issue stuff I think. Made booming noises when walked on.

Perhaps standard issue now, but not when I got mine. All I got was a leaflet with suggestions. Maybe my sandwich of some nasty soundproofing material and loft flooring contributed to the more-or-less anechoic nature of the booth. Or maybe not.
andy cross
Regular

Post by oggyb »

I don't think any studio designer would have used this material.

Here's an excerpt from a 2007 impromptu booth-jam to showcase the room: http://ogonline.org/mightyf/Jam_Sesh_Hitchy_Excerpt.mp3

:D
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary M »

oggyb wrote:I don't think any studio designer would have used this material.

Here's an excerpt from a 2007 impromptu booth-jam to showcase the room: http://ogonline.org/mightyf/Jam_Sesh_Hitchy_Excerpt.mp3

:D

are we talking about the same rooms???

I can honestly say I have never heard a booth sound that bad. Did they cover the walls with something or try treat it themselves in some way? The floor if done correct should definitely not make any noise but it depends if the cheap option was taken and they decided to install the floor themselves or get Studiospares to do one. The ones that studiospares do are not cut back in any way and are definitely done correctly and to a spec to stop sound transmission through the floor.

Your audio recording sounds like a completely different room to what the esmonos sound like. I do recall someone recently buying a second hand one that had lots of marks on the walls so they partitioned around it with plasterboard. This gave a really boxy sounding room that needed full treatment and took a good foot off the internal size of the booth.

There is no way I would want a booth that sounded like your recording, not a chance!
Gary M
Regular

Post by andy cross »

Potential dance floor filler that recording may be (insert winking emoticon here), but it sounds nothing like I've recorded in my Esmono booth in terms of hearing the sound of the room. I've recorded VOs for BBC TV and radio, Nat Geo, Channel 5 and countless others in mine, and the deadness of the room has never been an issue. (It's capacity to stay cool is another matter...)
andy cross
Regular

Post by oggyb »

Some of the boom sound was getting to the mics through the stands rather than through the air, but I can say with confidence that it wasn't much better than that when standing in the room.

I think they probably just got their guy to make a floor out of timber and roadkill.

Interestingly, the control room of that facility has a pair of NS10s in it.
oggyb
Frequent Poster