Neumann KM-D Digital Microphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Neumann KM-D Digital Microphones

Post by forumuser840717 »

Resuscitating an elderly thread but Just in case anyone likes the idea of these mics, the following appeared on the Neumann website early in 2020:

The digital Neumann microphone technology (Solution-D) will no longer be part of the Neumann product portfolio from 2021. Last order date for dealers will be 31 July 2020. After that, the products will be available as long as stock lasts. Service for all Solution-D hardware products is guaranteed until 31 Dec 2030.

The Remote Control Software (32 Bit, available also as VST plug-in) for the digital Neumann microphones is compatible with Windows 98SE – Windows 10 and Mac OS 8.6 – Mac OS X 10.14.6. There will be no further updates of the RCS software.

I missed it until earlier this year but all the digital stuff is now under the "Historical Microphones" section of the Neumann website so it seems that's it for Neumann and digital mics. They looked like a good idea but perhaps were a solution looking for a problem and not enough people wanted them. I bought the KK capsules but with KMA analogue bodies (which are still in production) so didn't really help the cause of digital mics.

I liked the KMDs when I tried them and the digital control tricks were fun and interesting but they didn't offer enough advantages and added a lot of complication to run them alongside my other mics so I stayed analogue. Maybe there'll be some bargains around as any remaining stock is cleared, which might make it worth having a small all-digital rig for chamber music or something, particularly as Schoeps seem still to be working on digital with their new CMD42 in beta testing to replace the CMD2.
Last edited by forumuser840717 on Sun May 09, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hmmm... Didn't realise they've shelved the digital range. Not really surprised, though. Thanks for the update.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Seems that Sennheiser also dropped the MZD 8000 digital output module for the MKH8000 series. Not surprisingly given the Neumann - Sennheiser link.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Hmmm... Didn't realise they've shelved the digital range. Not really surprised, though. Thanks for the update.

I remember how well these mics were reviewed when they first came out. What do you think led to their demise, then?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12935 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Wonks »

Poor sales. If they sold in sufficient numbers, they'd still be churning them out or bringing out a revised model.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, very poor sales possibly due to a misunderstanding of the market.

With a digital mic all you can do is place it and plug it in. Where's the fun in that when there is no scope for golden-eared tweakery in choosing specific cables and /or preamps.

And that's inevitably going to make them unattractive for the kind of pros with the budget to invest significantly in digital mics.

I imagine Sennheiser and Neumann assumed the traditional broadcasters would buy into the idea, but the money's no longer in that market for this kind of radical operational reform and, surprisingly, few large digital consoles support the AES42 connection format directly either -- a supply and demand issue presumably.
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Folderol »

Well talk of late to the party. This is the first I've heard of these - just in time to see them disappear over the horizon :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Hugh Robjohns wrote:With a digital mic all you can do is place it and plug it in. Where's the fun in that when there is no scope for golden-eared tweakery in choosing specific cables and /or preamps.

That's one of the things I like about them :tongue:

If they could automatically select which of them were the right mic for a given situation, and position themselves too, they'd be approaching my perfect mic!
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

forumuser840717 wrote:That's one of the things I like about them :tongue:

:lol: Yeah... but I don't think you an be considered 'normal' by the standards of most recording engineers! :mrgreen:

If they could automatically select which of them were the right mic for a given situation, and position themselves too, they'd be approaching my perfect mic!

Isn't Waves working on a plugin for that? :think::lolno:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by MOF »

I was very impressed with the miniaturisation of the A-D circuitry, all inside the microphone body.
I was interested in the technology but had no real use for it, especially since back then it would have required a digital mixer with remote control software incorporated and extra cost.
Later on I bought a Sound Devices mixer which accepts AES microphones but won’t control them. So for me they’ve come and gone, for now, maybe like the Ambisonic microphone they’ll make a come back.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: Yeah... but I don't think you an be considered 'normal' by the standards of most recording engineers! :mrgreen:

Fair point :tongue:

Isn't Waves working on a plugin for that? :think::lolno:

Oh I do hope so! Preferably with presets and an 'Auto' function.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by John Willett »

I still have my pair of KM-D with two pairs of omni capsules (nearfield and diffuse field) and still like them.

A friend had some and loved the fact that you could run 200m of cable with zero RF interference and noise on the run.

But, as Hugh said, probably not enough sales - sadly.

But the series is still current in the fact that there is the analogue KM-A (analogue) module and all the capsules and accessories as a continuing series - in fact Neumann discontinued the excellent KM100 series and replaced it with the KM-A series - much to the sadness of many KM100 series users who wished they still had it. In many ways I wish they had just updated the electronics in the KM100 module and kept the old series going.

And, as far as I know, Schoeps still do the Super CMiT gun mic. which is an AES42 microphone.
Last edited by John Willett on Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Willett
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Nites »

They were going after the wrong market. Should have come out with USB or TB mics for the voice over artist, streamer and podcaster markets. In the current market all the USB mics on offer are plasticky low end offerings. Nothing studio quality.
Nites
Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Nites wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:25 pm In the current market all the USB mics on offer are plasticky low end offerings. Nothing studio quality.

Not sure that's true... some of those in this round-up are non-plastic:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ch ... microphone

And Marantz offer their MPM-4000U which is a USB microphone, based around a 14mm aluminium-plated cardioid capacitor capsule.

More info: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/maran ... microphone
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:22 pm The Box is quite useful once you've learned how to interpret it (which doesn't take that long)

hugh

Oh yes it does, I’ve got one, and can never remember how it works, I use it as a crude level meter, and to see if my M&S is working correctly.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 pm I’ve got one, and can never remember how it works...

I am not even slightly surprised... :lol::silent:
Hugh Robjohns

Arpangel wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 pm I’ve got one, and can never remember how it works,

Depends whether you have the original wooden box or the newer plastic box version.

On the original, you squirt electricity into various holes in the back and it shocks the pixies inside, making them jump about on the switches that turn the little lights on and off. Louder signals make for more electricity and more jumping pixies in the crowd.

There's a little see-saw just inside the input holes that bounces from side to side in time with the incoming electricity and turns the power on to different pixies at different times so they turn the lights on and off in time with the electricity from the two inputs.

When you send exactly the same thing to both inputs, the seesaw gets stuck in the middle and only the pixies working the red lights up the middle get any shocks. When the electricity is very different between the inputs, then pixies at the edges of the crowd get more shocks.

Simple, but effective.

The newer one uses fairies because the box is smaller and the pixies wouldn't fit.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve got the newer black "Box"
It’s built into my mic amp, it’s also very temperamental, works intermittently, but it is very useful, once you use one it’s difficult to do without.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

I agree. I've got one of the older wooden box ones that I've had for about 35 years and once you get the hang of them they're very useful. When they're lined up properly one can get away without using any other meters for general mixing. And they were a lot easier to carry around on location jobs than an oscilloscope! (Though mine pre-dates the perspex fronted boxes and has a glass front that needs a bit more care in transit than the perspex version.) Sounds like you have one of Mike Skeet's preamps or mixers.

Mike wrote a good article in a 1984 edition of Home Studio Recording magazine about how "The Box" works and how to read it..
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

It was an ingenious design in its day, but with a current price of £450 completely impractical when the infinitely more informative TC Clarity meter provides a better stereo vectorscope display, and so much more besides, for half the cost!
Hugh Robjohns