Neumann KM-D Digital Microphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Neumann KM-D Digital Microphones

Post by John Willett »

I agree and it's on my list - after the MKH 8020 stereo set, the MKH 8040 stereo set, the Nagra VI, the U87 Anniversary Edition and a new PC. :roll:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Aural Reject »

John Willett wrote: and a new PC. :roll:

Stop using them then, and use a proper recording system ;)
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster
Posts: 987 Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 12:00 am Location: Lancashire born, living in Yorkshire :s

Post by John Willett »

Aural Reject wrote:Stop using them then, and use a proper recording system ;)

I *do* use a proper recording system.

You don't think I actually use a PC for recording do you? It's far too risky - I don't trust them that far.

But I *do* use a PC for editing and mastering. If it all goes tits up I still have all the original material.

Using a PC for recording - madness - whatever next. :headbang:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Aural Reject »

Trust no-one ;)

Editing? You mean they don't get it right first time like my lot? :headbang::roll:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster
Posts: 987 Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 12:00 am Location: Lancashire born, living in Yorkshire :s

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

John Willett wrote: You don't think I actually use a PC for recording do you? It's far too risky - I don't trust them that far.

I use a PC for recording -- with the SADiE LRX2 -- but for critical stuff (what isn't?) I back up with a Genex 8500 Hard disk recorder. But to be fair, I've not had any problems so far recording to the laptop with an external drive....

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by John Willett »

As I promised - I *have* now bought the KK131 flat-omni heads for the KM-D.

I have yet to use them in anger, but will probably use them more than the 183 once the current recording project is finished.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by John Willett »

Update:-

Neumann have released, in the last week, updated RCS software (v2.0.1) that complies with the latest version of the AES42 standard.

They have also released new software updates for the DMI-2 controller and the KM-D series, D-01 and TLM 103-D microphones.

I have just updated all my kit.

The new software also works with the new Sennheiser MZD 8000 digital module that is due for release very soon.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by John Willett »

Update -

Neumann have recently launched more new capsules for the KM-D series including the KK 133 omni with ball head and KK 120 fig-8.

They have also launched the new KM-A analogue version of the KM-D so the same capsules can be used AES42 digital or conventional analogue.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by icarus22 »

The Neumann KM 185 D has come out and it's not bad. It has a good A/D converter. I used it to record a pianist at a piano teaching academy
icarus22

Post by DaisyMarie »

Why not? We are using them in for our guitar lessons london
DaisyMarie

Post by John Willett »

icarus22 wrote:The Neumann KM 185 D has come out and it's not bad. It has a good A/D converter. I used it to record a pianist at a piano teaching academy (PTL - piano teachers london )

The KM 185-D was one of the original 3 launched in 2006.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by John Willett »

Neumann have just launched the DMI-2Portable - it's a slimline DC powered version of the mains DMI-2.

Shipping starts next week (week 3, 2011) and I have already ordered a pair of them so I can record four AES42 digital mics at the same time into my Nagra VI.

For some reason it's not on the Neumann website yet; but I'll post the link when it's up.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services