Capstan Dirty after almost every playback - Tascam TSR-8.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Capstan Dirty after almost every playback - Tascam TSR-8.

Post by ken long »

Everything on this thread is speculation until you can try a different batch/brand of tape. Do that first then report back.
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3513 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Post by Arpangel »

bruceyripper wrote:So the picture above is the dirt that comes off.

As I said, it only requires 2 wipes and then it's clean again, BUT, this is happening after EACH play through, which I would presume is not normal.

I think the tension explanation seems to be on point so far. Although I have slacked the tension and now it doesn't happen after every single play back, but is still happening after 3 play backs.

I know cleaning is all part and parcel of reel to reel, but everything I've heard and read states cleaning is only required, beginning/end and every 2 hours or so in the session, NOT, after each play back or indeed after 2 or 3 playbacks, which I believe is not normal and means something is up. Right?
:think:

These look very clean to me, it depends on the tape condition, type, amount of use, FFW/RW how often you do those things, I’ve owned Tascams and only used to clean them once before a session, that was about it, but it’s a case of clean when you need to.
Is there any really bad degradation in quality because of this? If not, I wouldn’t worry about it. Drop-outs can be caused by all sorts of things, the heads look in good shape on your machine, the brand of tape might be an issue, how long it’s been on the shelf, does it suite your machine, have you lined-up your machine for this tape?
The joys of analogue....

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by bruceyripper »

Good advise that.

I have just looked up the right tape for this machine which is the SM911.

My tape is not that, so I am ordering this new tape. Will try it out and get back.
bruceyripper
Poster

Post by bruceyripper »

Oh God...

Just checked the tape I'm using and it is this;
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rtm_sm911_1_2 ... ancake.htm

Which by my knowledge IS a SM911.

So I am using the right tape according to this.

The plot thickens.. :cry:
bruceyripper
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

The 'correct' tape will depend on what tape the machine was last lined up for which may be a different brand/spec of tape to the 'recommended' type (and may well be out of spec anyway unless it's been lined up recently). Either way it won't be that which is causing the oxide shedding issue but a mechanical problem, either something in the tape path or the condition of the tape itself.

Did we ascertain whether the oxide is depositing on the capstan or the fixed cylindrical guide next to the erase head?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by bruceyripper »

JUST the capstan.

No other residue on any of the other components.
bruceyripper
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

The suggestion to try a different brand of tape is because some tape formulations have, in the past, been more prone to shedding oxide than others, a different brand will most likely use a different formulation so, hopefully, should show whether the issue is with the tape or with the machine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:The 'correct' tape will depend on what tape the machine was last lined up for which may be a different brand/spec of tape to the 'recommended' type (and may well be out of spec anyway unless it's been lined up recently). Either way it won't be that which is causing the oxide shedding issue but a mechanical problem, either something in the tape path or the condition of the tape itself.

Did we ascertain whether the oxide is depositing on the capstan or the fixed cylindrical guide next to the erase head?

Sam is right, depends on the line-up, if it’s ever been done, there isn’t really a "correct" tape for any machine, it’s what you prefer, I always preferred Scotch 226, as it had a flatter response to me, but it’s up to individual taste. Some brands do shed oxide more than others though.
ATR Magnetics are an alternative brand, you might try that, I didn’t realise, there isn’t much about these days, I haven’t owned a RTR for years. It’s amazing, the cost, £85 a reel for about 30 mins recording time!

:o
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by bruceyripper »

I know but the recording quality has something special to it that I've never found with digital.
Plus I like working with my hands and body.

Little update, I tried an old tape I had which was the same make and this hasn't dirtied the capstan as much. Did about an hour mixing last last and cleaned at the end of the session with minimal dirt coming off, I'd say normal, hardly any.

Sooooo.....

Reckon it is just this particular tape then? Someone on here said about storage in the Wearhouse etc.

Should I contact the manufacture? I feel like now I know there must be something wrong with that new tape.
bruceyripper
Poster

Post by Tim Gillett »

Sometimes tapes are manufactured slightly narrow or wide of the nominal 1/2" tolerance limits. The too wide the tape can foul on the tapes guides. Perhaps that is going on here.

If so you should see more tape muck closer to the edges (top and bottom) of the tape path. On your machine this should normally only happen at the entry and exit guides at each end of the headblock. Possibly also on the large guide which substitutes for the missing head but only if the guide now has a tape sized groove worn in it.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by ken long »

Tim Gillett wrote:Sometimes tapes are manufactured slightly narrow or wide of the nominal 1/2" tolerance limits. The too wide the tape can foul on the tapes guides. Perhaps that is going on here.

Thought that too but that would come off as swarf. Doesn't look like swarf in his picture.
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by bruceyripper »

Hey ya'll

Solved it. Was the the tape, the guy who serviced it gave me a new tape and so far no problems at all, spent 4 hours recording, no problems.

Now.......

What should I say to the place i have bought these tapes from? I can't believe they have caused all this hassle, and they are expensive and advertised as new. Really bad craic that isn't it.
bruceyripper
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Might be worth getting in touch with RTM themselves as they need to know if there are problems like this. While the RTM formulas were originally created by BASF, as I understand it, RTM are part of Pyral and Pyral tapes in the past haven't always been good. BASF tapes were generally consistent and have lasted well. I hope RTM are sticking to the BASF formula rather than trying to incorporate production techniques from the old Pyral days.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ken long »

bruceyripper wrote:
Was the the tape

Bingo.

What should I say to the place i have bought these tapes from? I can't believe they have caused all this hassle, and they are expensive and advertised as new. Really bad craic that isn't it.

Just get a refund or get them to replace it with a different batch. The batch number might be on the leader (if there is one) or on the back of the tape. These things happen.
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Give the supplier a call, they may be genuinely grateful for the information if it helps prevent similar customer problems from the same batch.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24655 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

It could well be from a bad batch, or it could have been stored in inappropriate conditions before sale to you.

Because tape use is a tiny fraction of what it once was, the whole production process has been scaled back and there is a greater variation between batches as a result. Also, tape is stored for much longer before sale and use, which can also affect its condition.

But the guys are right -- have a discussion with your retailer to explain the problem and organise replacements.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39030 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...