Does a microphone hear a stereo image like a person?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Does a microphone hear a stereo image like a person?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I had a lucky accident the other night when I was recording some backing vocals. I'd forgotten to mute the speakers, fortunately I generally monitor at a low level and I was deliberately going for a close-mic'd, heavy proximity effect so the signal to noise ratio was such that I got away with my amateur mistake.
But that got me thinking.

Say you have a standard pair of stereo monitors set up in front of you in a typical near-field position. You then put a mic in front of you to sing into such that it's pretty much forming the third point of the equilateral triangle.
Now, assume a mono signal is sent to those speakers, and let's also assume a nicely treated room with a stable phantom image in the centre of the speakers.

Would a cardiod mic give better rejection than a hypercardiod?

I.e. Does the microphone respond to the phantom image or the actual sound sources?

Most of my brain is saying the phantom image is made by the actual interaction of soundwaves in the air and therefore that is what the microphone will respond to.
But a niggling part of it is thinking that this seems a little oversimplified.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24610 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Re: Does a microphone hear a stereo image like a person?

Post by Tim Gillett »

Any mic can only respond as per its polar pattern. So in this case the hypercardioid rejects better assuming its deepest null points align with the speaker positions. The cardioid is better with a single speaker directly behind it.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Kwackman »

I remember an article or interview about this sort of thing years (maybe decades!) ago.
Where they used the speakers as you did with a mono signal, then swapped the wires on one of the speakers so it's polarity was reversed. Theory being there'd be a lot of cancellation at the mic.
I'm not sure if it worked, or even if I read it properly!
Dave Stewart & Annie Lennox maybe?
Anyone else with a better memory?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Aled Hughes »

Tim Gillett wrote:Any mic can only respond as per its polar pattern. So in this case the hypercardioid rejects better assuming its deepest null points align with the speaker positions. The cardioid is better with a single speaker directly behind it.

I don’t think you’ve understood his question. He is asking whether or not a microphone ‘hears’ a phantom central image.

My gut feeling is that a phantom centre image relies on two ears and a brain in between, so the single mic wouldn’t be aware of it. But I have nomidea really!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1747 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Ramirez wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Any mic can only respond as per its polar pattern. So in this case the hypercardioid rejects better assuming its deepest null points align with the speaker positions. The cardioid is better with a single speaker directly behind it.

I don’t think you’ve understood his question. He is asking whether or not a microphone ‘hears’ a phantom central image.

My gut feeling is that a phantom centre image relies on two ears and a brain in between, so the single mic wouldn’t be aware of it. But I have nomidea really!

Yep, that's pretty much it. Is the phantom image a property of the ears and brain or the interference pattern of two independently produced waves?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by CS70 »

blinddrew wrote: I.e. Does the microphone respond to the phantom image or the actual sound sources?

Not sure if I fully follow you, but insofar I know we perceive position due differences in level and timing of the sound that gets to the two ears, the sonic "shadow" of the head and the angle with which the sound wave front hits our ears (which is why ears aren't flat).. stereo out of two fixed speakers deals mostly with the first two (and the third, well, it's always there and matters more for low freqs).

So no, a microphone doesn't hear a stereo image, but the mono summation of what arrives at its position.

An hypercardioid has a back lobe, hasn't it? In this case, yes I'd say it would pick up more sound from the speakers (or as u say, a cardioid would have better rejection)
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

blinddrew wrote:Would a cardiod mic give better rejection than a hypercardiod?

No, the hypercardioid would give much better rejection than the cardioid -- assuming ycather align the nulls towards the speakers. (Actually, a supercardioid would be even better as its nulls are closer to the required angles for your scenario). This is a standard setup for floor wedges on stage under a hypercardioid vocal mic, after all!

I.e. Does the microphone respond to the phantom image or the actual sound sources?

The actual sound sources!

The phantom image is entirely a construct of our human sense of hearing being fooled by sounds arriving at both ears at the same time and amplitude. In real life, that can only happen if the sound is being emitted by a source on the median plane, so our brain invents a phantom image.

The sound waves from the two speakers will interact, of course, and produce a horizontal interference pattern, but there will be multiple peaks and troughs occuring at different angles for different frequencies -- not a single central lobe!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by CS70 »

Kwackman wrote:I remember an article or interview about this sort of thing years (maybe decades!) ago.
Where they used the speakers as you did with a mono signal, then swapped the wires on one of the speakers so it's polarity was reversed. Theory being there'd be a lot of cancellation at the mic.

I did try - probably after reading the same article as you :) - and I still have the XLR phase inverter in the drawer somewhere.

Even if I spent lots of time carefully positioning the speakers and the mic, I wasn't at all impressed by the cancellation... but admittedly I tried in a poor room with no absorbers so it could be that in a better, less reflective room it works better.

Another variation is the "Beatles trick" where you have a figure 8 microphone and two people singing against each other, with the base on speakers at 90degrees.

That I've tried as well, and it works much better and it's easier... no complete "cancellation" as you can still hear the base a little but definitely usable.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by CS70 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: assuming you can align the nulls with the speaker axes.

Right, good point!
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Kwackman wrote:Where they used the speakers as you did with a mono signal, then swapped the wires on one of the speakers so it's polarity was reversed. Theory being there'd be a lot of cancellation at the mic.

Yes it works, and he's you remembered it correctly. It's a workable technique for recording vocals in the control room with live monitoring over the speakers... If the artist doesn't mind outof phase speakers... Makes me feel I'll!
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The phantom image is entirely a construct of our human sense of hearing being fooled by sounds arriving at both ears at the same time and amplitude. In real life, that can only happen if the sound is being emitted by a source on the median plane, so our brain invents a phantom image.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if that phantom image was a human construct or a wave interference pattern. :thumbup:

In that case, going back to my original lucky break, I got even luckier than I thought. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by James Perrett »

Kwackman wrote: Where they used the speakers as you did with a mono signal, then swapped the wires on one of the speakers so it's polarity was reversed. Theory being there'd be a lot of cancellation at the mic.

An alternative to this would be to record two tracks - one with the vocalist singing as normal and the other with the vocalist in the same position but quiet. If you invert the polarity of the second track you should end up with just the difference between the two.
James Perrett
Posts: 14366 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Tim Gillett »

James Perrett wrote:
Kwackman wrote: Where they used the speakers as you did with a mono signal, then swapped the wires on one of the speakers so it's polarity was reversed. Theory being there'd be a lot of cancellation at the mic.

An alternative to this would be to record two tracks - one with the vocalist singing as normal and the other with the vocalist in the same position but quiet. If you invert the polarity of the second track you should end up with just the difference between the two.

The difference being the vocal itself? What would be the benefit then over the vocal track?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by The Elf »

James Perrett wrote:

A trick I use is to do both of the above - reverse the polarity of one speaker (keep them equidistant from the mic position) AND record a no-vocal take and flip it. Between these techniques you can get something pretty clean.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Tim Gillett »

The Elf wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

A trick I use is to do both of the above - reverse the polarity of one speaker (keep them equidistant from the mic position) AND record a no-vocal take and flip it. Between these techniques you can get something pretty clean.

I get it now. Use a hypercardioid mic and that would make three stages of attenuation.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Inglis »

blinddrew wrote:
In that case, going back to my original lucky break, I got even luckier than I thought. :)

Either that or your speakers are wired out of phase...
Sam Inglis

Post by shufflebeat »

Kwackman wrote:I remember an article or interview about this sort of thing years (maybe decades!) ago.

I've seen it done but room reflections spoil the effect. In a suitable space it works quite well but a mic with good rejection is probably more practical for mere citizens like us.

If memory serves it was an article on Rod Stewart where I first heard of it. Otherwise nothing of interest in the article as I remember.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Tim Gillett wrote:The difference being the vocal itself? What would be the benefit then over the vocal track?

James is describing the technique of performing to a backing track being replayed over the speakers in the control room.

You record the vocal performance + backing track spill, and then just the backing track spill on its own. Mix the two together afterwards with inverted polarity and the backing track spill is substantially reduced.

Well known and effective technique in studio circles.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Tim Gillett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:The difference being the vocal itself? What would be the benefit then over the vocal track?

James is describing the technique of performing to a backing track being replayed over the speakers in the control room.

You record the vocal performance + backing track spill, and then just the backing track spill on its own. Mix the two together afterwards with inverted polarity and the backing track spill is substantially reduced.

Well known and effective technique in studio circles.

Yes Drew had described the in the opening post but for a moment my brain temporarily forgot about the backing track played by the speakers. In my stupour It seemed as if James might be describing a method of attenuating random studio background noise which didnt make sense to me. It doesnt make sense because it wasnt what James meant.

Sorry James, just an elderly antipodean man's 4am brain fade.

But yes as I implied in reply to Elf the use of three separate types of attenuation - all using some sort of cancellation mechanism - is an impressive use of technique.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

shufflebeat wrote:I've seen it done but room reflections spoil the effect.

Which is where adding an opposite-polarity 'blank' pass helps to mop up this last bit of bleed.

It genuinely works very well.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.