Hardware compressors around £400

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hardware compressors around £400

Post by jaminem »

CS70 wrote:
jaminem wrote: - Controlling singers with piss poor mic technique and big transients - yes its better for them to learn good mic technique but I'm not giving them a lesson in that if they're in full flow and I just need to capture it.

Agree on the rest but if you can't control singers without a compressor when recording at 24 bits, it's not only their technique that's piss poor! :D

Easy tiger...

...more of a safety net really, and most importantly avoiding the 'mic technique lesson' when they are firing because that's more important than anything - just one less thing to worry about...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by ken long »

James Perrett wrote:I'd look at the FMR RNC which is very transparent and won't colour the sound too much.

Came here to say exactly this. :)
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3510 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Post by CS70 »

jaminem wrote: Easy tiger...

...more of a safety net really, and most importantly avoiding the 'mic technique lesson' when they are firing because that's more important than anything - just one less thing to worry about...

Apparently the one loudest female singer in the world can do 121dB so I stand corrected - you need a compressor if you have a piece of music with her starting with a whisper and ending with her loudest note! :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by James Perrett »

Ramirez wrote: It's a similar conundrum with the AMS RMX16 reverb we have. I love its sound, but it's very rare that I actually mix through it and render the tracks in real time!

Though in that case you have the option to sample an impulse and then use that impulse in a convolution reverb. I had exactly the same issue last year when the client loved the reverb he was hearing in the headphones from an H3000 and wanted it for the mix. I wasn't confident enough to sample the H3000 right in the middle of a mixing session but it is something I ought to do for the future.

It isn't so easy to sample compressors - although not impossible for a real DSP expert.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote:
Ramirez wrote: It's a similar conundrum with the AMS RMX16 reverb we have. I love its sound, but it's very rare that I actually mix through it and render the tracks in real time!

Though in that case you have the option to sample an impulse and then use that impulse in a convolution reverb.

Now that's a neat idea.

We also have a H3000 here, and a Lexicon PCM91, but I haven't really paid much attention to them. There's an EMT140 in bits in the workshop too...
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by muzines »

Ramirez wrote:We also have a H3000 here, and a Lexicon PCM91, but I haven't really paid much attention to them. There's an EMT140 in bits in the workshop too...

You could go to the effort to make impulse responses of some of the settings of those items, and it can be fun and a learning experience, but others have probably already done it (google for impulse responses) - and of course you can get plugins which reproduce those things in detail with *all* the settings, so if you like the sounds those things make, grabbing the plugins would probably get you 95+% of the way there a lot quicker...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Aled Hughes »

desmond wrote:
Ramirez wrote:We also have a H3000 here, and a Lexicon PCM91, but I haven't really paid much attention to them. There's an EMT140 in bits in the workshop too...

You could go to the effort to make impulse responses of some of the settings of those items, and it can be fun and a learning experience, but others have probably already done it (google for impulse responses) - and of course you can get plugins which reproduce those things in detail with *all* the settings, so if you like the sounds those things make, grabbing the plugins would probably get you 95+% of the way there a lot quicker...

True. To be honest I don't feel I'm missing too much when I load the Eventide 2016 or Arturia plate plugins instead of using the hardware reverbs.

I do want to get the plate up and running though (though there might be an issue with asbestos in the case...).
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

I found a great resource a few years back - someone who had made IRs of the Lexicon 480L .. I've used them quite a bit over the years and they sound good, even if lately I use more the Lexicon native.

Let me see.. yes it seems still around, here: https://www.housecallfm.com/download-gn ... xicon-480l
CS70
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

CS70 wrote:Apparently the one loudest female singer in the world can do 121dB so I stand corrected - you need a compressor if you have a piece of music with her starting with a whisper and ending with her loudest note! :lol:

Not really. She can reach 121dB SPL at the loudest, but what's a whisper? 40dB SPL? The noise floor in my room is around 30dB SPL during the day, and a whisper must be louder than that or it wouldn't be inaudible...

So you're talking about a recorded dynamic range from whisper to ouch of around 80dB, maybe 90dB if we're feeling generous...

You could capture that perfectly well on a 16bit DAT machine if you set your levels carefully, and it wouldn't be even slightly difficult on a 24 bit format. So still no absolute need to use a compressor for the recording.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Aled Hughes »

CS70 wrote:I found a great resource a few years back - someone who had made IRs of the Lexicon 480L .. I've used them quite a bit over the years and they sound good, even if lately I use more the Lexicon native.

Let me see.. yes it seems still around, here: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/0 ... responses/

That's cool, thanks!

Would anyone be interested if I did some IRs of a few of the RMX16's presets?
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
CS70 wrote:Apparently the one loudest female singer in the world can do 121dB so I stand corrected - you need a compressor if you have a piece of music with her starting with a whisper and ending with her loudest note! :lol:

Not really. She can reach 121dB SPL at the loudest, but what's a whisper? 40dB SPL? The noise floor in my room is around 30dB SPL during the day, and a whisper must be louder than that or it wouldn't be inaudible...

So you're talking about a recorded dynamic range from whisper to ouch of around 80dB, maybe 90dB if we're feeling generous...

You could capture that perfectly well on a 16bit DAT machine if you set your levels carefully, and it wouldn't be even slightly difficult on a 24 bit format. So still no absolute need to use a compressor for the recording.

Yes ;-).. I was merely trying to be a little bit accommodating... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Post by CS70 »

And on a side note: 121dB!! Probably short bursts, but holy cow!
CS70
Jedi Poster