DI box(es) on a patchbay?!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DI box(es) on a patchbay?!

Post by Mike Stranks »

uselessoldman wrote:So you North or South not that it now makes any difference since you are both still in the EU that is a sore subject with my family right now.

Yeah I know a lot of none essential Businesses are currently closed, but only to the public, many are still at work cos they still get orders to complete for essential businesses who are still open or completing orders made on line.

whilst the rest of us have time on our hands to play with all our toys :bouncy::bouncy:

Fixed that for you... :lol:

I say again: CAPITALS IS SHOUTING in a forum post :angel:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by bradshc »

uselessoldman wrote:SO you North or South not that it now makes any difference since you are both still in the EU that is a sore subject with my family right now.

I’m in the South. No interest in the politics of it all, but economically the North really do seem to be caught in the middle. Can’t be easy.

uselessoldman wrote: whilst the rest of us have time on our hands to play with all our toys :bouncy::bouncy:

Well, it’d be rude not to :lolno:
bradshc
New here
Posts: 7 Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 pm Location: Ireland

Post by uselessoldman »

kudos to you bradshc, I look on with envy at your hardware, but my lass who is a Southerner would never tolerate such gross extravagance. She is always full of ideas on how I should spend my own money. Although it has taken her 6 years to get me to finally decorate my own place, I did hers the minute she moved in. I have this problem see, I cannot see my walls there covered with speaker cabinets !
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by bradshc »

Quick update, for no other reason than to highlight Sequential's great customer service (in my opinion).

I checked with Sequential and getting the synth fixed by a local tech would have invalidated the warranty (there are no authorised repair centres in Ireland, unfortunately).
Fair enough.

However, for the paltry sum of $25, plus the the cost of sending the voice boards to Sequential in San Francisco (€27), they repaired the problem for me and paid for return postage, all within 3 weeks (most of which was transport time).

Result!
:clap:
bradshc
New here
Posts: 7 Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 pm Location: Ireland

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sounds pretty good to me! :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Martin Walker »

Wow, that IS impressive service! :clap::thumbup:8-)

No wonder they have such a good reputation among their customers.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

I see no reason to worry about balanced outputs on keyboards and DI boxes in a home studio, it’s a waste of time, and just adds more things to go wrong.
Unless you’re running cables over many metres, in an RF hostile environment, it makes no sense.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

I disagree. The more balanced connections you can make the cleaner system as a whole you will have. It is neither complicated, nor inherently prone to problems. It's not a waste of time at all.

I can cite several studio owners that have been smacked of the gob when I've re-wired them with balanced cable and the veil has been lifted from their eyes and ears. Typically the response is 'why didn't I do this years ago?'.

(DI boxes would be my third choice.)

Use balanced cables every time you can. Your audio will thank you for it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:I see no reason...

I suspect that's because you don't understand the issues involved!

...just adds more things to go wrong.

There is nothing more to go wrong in a balanced interface.

Unless you’re running cables over many metres, in an RF hostile environment, it makes no sense.

You're right in that interference isn't the problem, but the balanced interface is about much more than just reducing interference.

In a complex studio with myriad connections between lots of different bits of equipment, ground loops are frequently a major problem and notoriously difficult to resolve.

The balanced interface, being fundamentally ground-free, eliminates that problem at a stroke (when implemented correctly).
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...