help the noob :(

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

help the noob :(

Post by SYNN92 »

Hello all,

I'm looking to record using Reaper & my Focusrite scarlett 2i2, after 90 minutes of trying to get reaper to acknowledge the interface (which ended up just being a simple usb port swap) I finally have them compatible and ready to go.

My problem is the audio output; isn't having any of it.

I have headphones plugged into the interface and I have a track playing that I can't hear.

The headphones work in the interface for any other sound in the computer, just nothing in reaper.

The input levels are shown when the track is playing and the track is not muted. Inputs are ticked as enabled, the only outputs I can select are output 1 and output 2, nothing for headphones?

I can't find a solution anywhere online.

Thanks <3
SYNN92
New here

Re: help the noob :(

Post by Dave.P »

Hopefully someone who knows Reaper well will see this.
In the meantime I would check the setup in the Focusrite Control software and make sure the output is not muted or set incorrectly. It can be a confusing thing to set up I find.
Hope that helps!
Dave.P
Regular
Posts: 316 Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm Location: Scotland

Post by James Perrett »

Can you share a screen shot of your audio device settings in Reaper? You'll need to put it up on an image (or file) sharing site as this site doesn't host images.

Do the master level meters move in the mixer window in Reaper? What output do you have the master output set to?
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

Check your Reaper preferences, options>audio>devices, is the Scarlett there? has it been selected as an output, and as James said, check your master routing in Reaper.
This guy is great, his videos are indispensable, check this one about routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAfF6lNlMQk
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by SYNN92 »

James Perrett wrote:Can you share a screen shot of your audio device settings in Reaper? You'll need to put it up on an image (or file) sharing site as this site doesn't host images.

Do the master level meters move in the mixer window in Reaper? What output do you have the master output set to?

Appreciate the response, didnt realise how quick people would get back to me!

Hopefully this link works which contains a screenshot of my audio device settings and what i believe(?) to be the master output
The only outputs i can select are output 1 & 2 - i figured there would be an option for headphones if they are plugged into the scarlett?

Much appreciated :)

(images hosted here: https://filebin.net/v51atl6h0m0x6zgi)
SYNN92
New here

Post by James Perrett »

As far as I can tell the Scarlett only has 2 output channels so the headphones will receive the same mix as the main outputs. To check you can click on the dropdown box next to "last" in the Output Range section and see if it gives you any more channels (one thing I find with Reaper is that it doesn't always automatically show all channels when you select a new interface).

One other thing - I usually leave the "Request Sample Rate" box unticked. The interface could be getting confused if Windows is working at 44.1kHz and Reaper is asking for 48kHz. The Focusrite interface that I have needs to have the sample rate set in its control panel to work properly.
James Perrett

Post by SYNN92 »

James Perrett wrote:As far as I can tell the Scarlett only has 2 output channels so the headphones will receive the same mix as the main outputs. To check you can click on the dropdown box next to "last" in the Output Range section and see if it gives you any more channels (one thing I find with Reaper is that it doesn't always automatically show all channels when you select a new interface).

One other thing - I usually leave the "Request Sample Rate" box unticked. The interface could be getting confused if Windows is working at 44.1kHz and Reaper is asking for 48kHz. The Focusrite interface that I have needs to have the sample rate set in its control panel to work properly.

Yeah on the first/last drop downs output 1 & 2 are the only options :( I also unticked the box, any other suggestions? Or anywhere i could have gone wrong in the set up process? Thanks
SYNN92
New here

Post by SYNN92 »

James Perrett wrote:As far as I can tell the Scarlett only has 2 output channels so the headphones will receive the same mix as the main outputs. To check you can click on the dropdown box next to "last" in the Output Range section and see if it gives you any more channels (one thing I find with Reaper is that it doesn't always automatically show all channels when you select a new interface).

i decided to restart the computer after unticking the request sample rate box and ITS WORKED - THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU want a christmas card this year???
SYNN92
New here

Post by manwilde »

What I see in the image that you posted is the routing for track 1, and I´m afraid you got it wrong, regardless of your original issue being solved. You need to delete the "hardware output". Just having ticked the first field in the routing window ("master parent send") will do the job. Otherwise you are sending Track no.1 audio TWICE to the outside world: once through Reaper´s master track (that´s what "master parent send" does) and yet another time through that "hardware output", but this time outside of the DAW´s master track.
manwilde
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

Well spotted manwilde - yes, track 1 should only go to the master (unless you are trying to do some very fancy routing). The master should be connected to outputs 1 and 2.
James Perrett