Timestretch plugin recommendations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Timestretch plugin recommendations

Post by alexhedleymusic »

Hi,

i allways have a problem with getting the right bpm for a track and i think im definitely 100 percent right about it while recording only to quite often finish a track and start thinking it could be a bpm or 2 different. Im just wondering if theres any magical plugin out there that specializes in this and can timestretch with virtually no glitching... (cant seem to achieve this with the logic one) obviously there will allways be a bit of degrading in the audio but im just trying to find one that can do this and make it sound worthy of putting to mastering. this would make my life a lot easier as i allways seem to have a different opinion on the speed of the track after iv actually recorded everything which is not ideal at all.

any recomendations if this is even possible would be great. il never be shifting more than a bpm or 2 so maybe there is something out there that can cope with this without completely destroying the audio

thanks
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Re: Timestretch plugin recommendations

Post by James Perrett »

Does Logic allow you to use different timestretching algorithms? Reaper gives you the choice of something like half a dozen different algorithms for its built-in timestretching and I often find that I need to use different algorithms on different sources.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

I'd have thought any pitch/time plugin should be pretty unnoticeable at a couple of BPM, if you can live with the slight change of pitch the you'll get better results by not preserving pitch. If you are getting glitching with the Logic plug it something is definitely amiss...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by The Elf »

As above, if you can hear degradation over 1/2BPM there must be something wrong. Try other algorithms.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

The Elf wrote:As above, if you can hear degradation over 1/2BPM there must be something wrong. Try other algorithms.

Thanks to all who replied!

by algorithms do you mean the monophonic polyphonic etc settings? if not il look this up on how to change the algorithms
thanks
alexhedleymusic
Poster

alexhedleymusic wrote:
The Elf wrote:As above, if you can hear degradation over 1/2BPM there must be something wrong. Try other algorithms.

Thanks to all who replied!

by algorithms do you mean the monophonic polyphonic etc settings? if not il look this up on how to change the algorithms
thanks

iv'e just checked this out and can see what you mean. il have a try with some of these as im sure this will now do the job. thanks!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

The best - by far - time/pitch stretcher I've come across is the one in iZotope RX. I use it constantly on spoken word where the speaker is either a bit 'gabbly' or two deliberate in their delivery. Also used sometimes with pre-recorded music (hymns) which have been recorded at a very drab and dreary tempo.

I'm more often fiddling with the timing rather than the pitch...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster