Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

Post by Steve Ciccarelli »

So about a year or two ago I finally started taking home recording a little more seriously when my band broke up. I was using a Scarlet 2i2 since 2013 and knew I wanted to upgrade to something with external power, hopefully better preamps (and I want 4 instead of 2), MIDI I/O, and kind of whatever else.

Lately I'm not too sure if that's still the interface for me.

The Universal Audio stuff has been really intriguing to me for the plug-ins and how it seems it's a standard choice among musicians I follow, but no MIDI I/O. And will I use the plug-ins that much?

There's also the Steinberg stuff with the Neve preamps which caught my eye but still not totally sold.

So basically, can anyone help me either decide that my choice was not a bad one or inform me of some great alternatives?

I work in Logic, usually try to mic my guitar amp, use an eKit to trigger EZDrummer and then edit from there, and I'm usually recording heavy punk/indie/alt stuff.

ANY help at all would be worth its weight in gold, so thanks in advance! :)
Steve Ciccarelli
New here

Re: Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

Post by James Perrett »

If you stay in this game long enough, eventually you'll end up with an RME interface.

The cheapest way to get onto the RME bandwagon is probably to buy a Digiface USB and partner it with a Behringer ADA8200. As you move up you can replace the Behringer with something better but chances are you won't need to change the RME interface for many years.

If you use DIN style MIDI connections you'll need a separate MIDI interface but there is no problem with having different interfaces for MIDI.
James Perrett
Posts: 14249 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

Post by The Elf »

I'd go RME every time. Long time support commitment from them and the incredible TotalMix, without which I never want to work!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

James Perrett wrote:If you stay in this game long enough, eventually you'll end up with an RME interface.

Ain't that the truth! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by IAA »

As a logic user I’ve had a Clarett, and liked it a lot. I’ve settled on an Apogee Element. It has DSP so you can run their plugins within the interface if you wish plus for me it’s seamless with logic’s mixer allowing easy gain settings without faffing. I used to have an Apogee ensemble FireWire and whilst it was lovely, apogee discontinued support. This is where RME win out. They seem to support hardware much longer than some (most) other companies. Anyway it’s another option for you.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Dave Rowles »

I've got a Clarett 4pre, and it's great. I use it with Logic and use a combination of Slate Digital plugins and Logic's own. Sound quality and build are great, it's a solid bit of kit, and has even gigged and had some rather significant flight hours too. Gigging it takes the place of outboard reverbs and FX when lower quality units are supplied, or are non-existent.

That said, it's hard to argue with the guys who've been in the game a little longer. I don't expect this to be the last interface I ever buy, so I'm not as worried about the longer term support than maybe others are. As it's USB C and class compliant, I expect it'll last quite a while though.

UAD is a great platform, and has some amazing plugins. So at the end of the day I suspect it all boils down to...what do you want to use it for?

I use my 4pre for location and small recordings. I've also got an X32 Rack married with a Midas DL32 stage box which I use for larger channel counts. The Clarett has the edge on the pre-amp quality, though the Midas ones aren't that far behind.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Happy UAD Apollo user here but has been said the only real reason you'd go with UAD is to access their plug-ins and preamp emulations.

If I was starting afresh and had no need for their plug-ins I'd probably go with RME based on trusted comments around here - even though, and oddly enough, after 25 years in the game, I still haven't used RME!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Steve Ciccarelli »

Dave Rowles wrote:I've got a Clarett 4pre, and it's great. I use it with Logic and use a combination of Slate Digital plugins and Logic's own. Sound quality and build are great, it's a solid bit of kit, and has even gigged and had some rather significant flight hours too. Gigging it takes the place of outboard reverbs and FX when lower quality units are supplied, or are non-existent.

That said, it's hard to argue with the guys who've been in the game a little longer. I don't expect this to be the last interface I ever buy, so I'm not as worried about the longer term support than maybe others are. As it's USB C and class compliant, I expect it'll last quite a while though.

UAD is a great platform, and has some amazing plugins. So at the end of the day I suspect it all boils down to...what do you want to use it for?

I use my 4pre for location and small recordings. I've also got an X32 Rack married with a Midas DL32 stage box which I use for larger channel counts. The Clarett has the edge on the pre-amp quality, though the Midas ones aren't that far behind.

Hi Dave, and thanks everyone - basically the goal here is to record my music mostly at home (including bass, vocals, drums via sample, and hopefully some live drums). UAD does have some amazing plugins, but I still feel like I can hear the difference between their Softube Marshall Jubilee (which DOES rule) and a real amp.

Don't think I'll be using it in any live setting, but will likely bring it to various friends houses to record with. A whole rack unit is too much for what I'm trying to do, though I like the OctoPre as an option.

But lon story short, I've never really looked into RME. As IAA said, I was also looking at Apogee stuff but it's also way over my price range and again doesn't have MIDI I/O as I saw.

My best friend has become popular in the subgenre of "alternative metal" (think Jesu meets something doomy meets really pretty parts) and he just yells at me that all I need is something like a Tascam like he uses. But I'm pretty set on investing a little bit into this for features that would help any part of my process.

Going on RME's site now, will report back. Thanks, all!
Steve Ciccarelli
New here

Post by manwilde »

+1 for RME here. If you can get a 1st gen Babyface for a good price you´ll have an excellent plattform to build upon. And Totalmix is something else... :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Post by Kwackman »

manwilde wrote:+1 for RME here. If you can get a 1st gen Babyface for a good price you´ll have an excellent plattform to build upon. And Totalmix is something else... :thumbup:

A super unit, but only has 2 mic inputs. OP wants 4.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by dbfs »

Rme here. Love the raydat and ufx devices.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Post by manwilde »

Kwackman wrote:
manwilde wrote:+1 for RME here. If you can get a 1st gen Babyface for a good price you´ll have an excellent plattform to build upon. And Totalmix is something else... :thumbup:

A super unit, but only has 2 mic inputs. OP wants 4.

Oooopss, my bad, sorry. Nevertheless, a 2nd hand Babyface paired with an 8 pre ADAT expansion would strecht to around 800-1.000€, depending on the kit. Don´t know what the OP´s budget is...
manwilde
Regular