Display placed on keyboard with colour rectangles. What is this? How to use it?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Display placed on keyboard with colour rectangles. What is this? How to use it?

Post by AMusicPlayerPlus »

Dear Friends,

On the following image in studio of Hans Zimmer I can see display placed on keyboard with colour rectangles. What is purpose of this rectangles? If it's something related to shortcuts/functionality of Cubase? Why and how it's used? Please clarify. Thank you!

AMusicPlayerPlus
Poster

Re: Display placed on keyboard with colour rectangles. What is this? How to use it?

Post by Luke W »

It's a custom touch screen controller, there's some info about it along with the system in general here:

https://cdm.link/2012/10/interview-mark-wherry-man-behind-hollywoods-digital-musical-instruments-hans-zimmer-collaborator/
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: Display placed on keyboard with colour rectangles. What is this? How to use it?

Post by AMusicPlayerPlus »

Luke W wrote:It's a custom touch screen controller, there's some info about it along with the system in general here:

https://cdm.link/2012/10/interview-mark-wherry-man-behind-hollywoods-digital-musical-instruments-hans-zimmer-collaborator/

Thank you!
AMusicPlayerPlus
Poster

Post by resistorman »

Luke W wrote:It's a custom touch screen controller, there's some info about it along with the system in general here:

Wow, that’s quite the setup!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by BJG145 »

...from SOS hack to Zimmer director. Cool. ;)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

Touch Portal or Stream Deck will do much the same job as that touch-screen. I use both with Cubase, but I prefer Stream Deck. I have buttons set up for all kinds of tasks, including switching screen views/filters, opening favourite folders, copying mixes to favourite destinations, invoking Macros, adding tracks, deleting unwanted control data... about anything you can imagine.

It's worth investigating these things, because it can massively speed up and simplify your work.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20049 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.