rc 505 loop station measure/beat issue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

rc 505 loop station measure/beat issue

Post by gert goemaere »

I'm currently working on a solo project where i stack layers on my loop station with one big caveat: all the loops have prime numbers as the amount of beats/bars.

Because the preset rhythm options in the station are much more basic, i've programmed the drums/clicks for each song and imported them onto the station as wave files.

However, the loop station is still shifting the tempo compared to the original import and trying to force it onto a 4x4 grid. The option to set measure on 'free' also doesn't appear when editing tracks containing wave files for some reason...

Anyone knows how to get past this problem? To summarise: i want the rc-505 to simply play what i insert without trying to adjust it to any grid, but i can't figure out how.

Thanks for your help.
gert goemaere

Re: rc 505 loop station measure/beat issue

Post by The Elf »

Welcome! :thumbup:

There are loads of sync options in the RC-505. I will admit that I find them overwhelming, and I remember what they do for as long as I'm setting things up for a new purpose! I'm sure I've had it set where each of the loops was completely independent (which was not what I wanted), and I had to make changes to a few settings to fix it. It sounds like you want the opposite.

The manual's pages 12-15 are where the sync, alignment, tempo and such is explained. I'm sure the answer will lie in there somewhere.
Last edited by The Elf on Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: rc 505 loop station measure/beat issue

Post by gert goemaere »

Hello, thanks for your response

I went through the manual multiple times before posting and now twice more. Perhaps it's my lack of english & terminology understanding, but i can't find anything about what i'm trying to do.

All i need is the loop to accept the base length of the wave file i insert and sync other tracks to the same length, i don't need anything else in terms of measure/tempo. I assume i could do this by setting everything to 'free measure' but the track that holds the wave file doesn't allow me to go lower than 3 bars. Even if i set it to free first and then add the file, it'll change it to a preset of bars which is never the amount i need...
gert goemaere