Soundtrack MTK 12 - sick of this console...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Soundtrack MTK 12 - sick of this console...

Post by Frank Rideau »

Still new problems with my MTK 12.
Channel 5 and 6 are getting distorted and noisy, sometimes sound can completely disappear. I crank up the preamp gain knob, it gets very scratchy and then sound is coming back.
This happens on top of the sudden bursts of volume I get in the right group 2 channel, something I already posted about here that I had temporarily fixed with Deoxit for faders, but it seems to be coming back again.
I also have to mention this console have been sent to repair once to change a defected capacitor on the power supply, which the whole episode cost me about 10x the value of the capacitor itself.

I use this as an USB interface and i really like the multi track capacity as well as the different mixer routing options. I am very pleased with the set up, but my patience is reaching is limit. I wonder if all these issues are normal wear or the symptom of a cheap made in china device.

I was looking at the similar Tascam model 16, but I've read some bad things about it and it's quite more expensive. Would it be a better option than the Soundcraft?

My console is pretty much used every day, and because there is no on/off button, it can stay opened quite a long time, I wonder if this could not be a cause of the premature problems I have...
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Re: Soundtrack MTK 12 - sick of this console...

Post by James Perrett »

If there are inserts on those channels then I'd check those sockets first. I ended up making special dummy insert plugs with the tip and ring connected for one of my mixers because the inserts became so flaky when nothing was connected to them. With the dummy plugs things were much more reliable.
James Perrett
Posts: 14248 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Frank Rideau »

No inserts on this console.

Here's a picture of the set up
https:*?*?*/KNDy8Q1
Frank Rideau
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

One other thought - which Deoxit did you use for cleaning? If it was D5 then you also need to lubricate the faders afterwards as D5 removes the fader's lubrication.

Do you smoke in the studio?
James Perrett

Post by Frank Rideau »

I used the Deoxit F5 for faders.
No smoke in the studio. Humidity and dust relatively controlled.

Maybe I'll open it and have a look, do a cleanup.
A thing is sure is I will not send it again for repair. This will be the end of it and I'm open to hear about alternatives.

Regards,
Frank Rideau
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Only F5? Or a cleaning spray first, as I believe F5 is only lube, not an actual cleaner.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16998 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by James Perrett »

As Wonks says, using Deoxit is a two stage process. Use D5 to clean and F5 to relubricate the faders.

Other brands, like Servisol, combine the two in one product but Caig keep the products separate (and charge quite a bit more than the alternatives).
James Perrett

Post by Frank Rideau »

Yes, D5 + F5 is actually what I did.
Frank Rideau
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

You must always cover your mixers, it’s not an option, I’ve always done this, it keeps dust at bay, or stray bits of rubbish that may sneak into faders etc.
All of my friends cover their stuff too, anything with faders, or lots of knobs, some aren’t sealed very well.
All you need is an old table cloth, or any piece of suitably sized material, bubble wrap is cool, but don’t cover it and leave the mixer on, that could be a fire risk.
This may not be your current issue, but it might prevent problems in the future.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DarthPaul »

Arpangel wrote:You must always cover your mixers, it’s not an option, I’ve always done this, it keeps dust at bay, or stray bits of rubbish that may sneak into faders etc.
All of my friends cover their stuff too, anything with faders, or lots of knobs, some aren’t sealed very well.
All you need is an old table cloth, or any piece of suitably sized material, bubble wrap is cool, but don’t cover it and leave the mixer on, that could be a fire risk.
This may not be your current issue, but it might prevent problems in the future.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK. I keep it (and everything else in my studio) covered when not in use, and i use JackCaps on all unused sockets to prevent dust etc from entering the mixer via the sockets. I wash the cloth covers very regularly to ensure that they don't carry dust to the equipment either.
I clean everything with a Numatic Henry vacuum cleaner with a VERY soft brush to dislodge any dust and hoover it away.

I might sound obsessive but dust and airborne contaminants are the sworn enemy of electronics.

My Signature has always given me impeccable service and excellent quality sound. I'm sorry to hear the IP has had a problem. I hope you can resolve it.
DarthPaul
Poster