Headphone level & Fader at Unity query?? Thank you : )

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Headphone level & Fader at Unity query?? Thank you : )

Post by Jpjb14 »

Hello all,

So I'm really enjoying playing around and learning the ropes of my new zoom F6 recorder, but have come to a couple of questions if I may....

1) Headphones volume level control on the recorder - I have a pair of Focal Listen Pro headphone and it occurred to me what volume should I have these at for recording? or does this not matter as it will be relative to what every input gain / output fader (for stereo) has been set?

2) Faders at Unity method - I have seen mentioned a number of time a method for using the faders, of having them at 0 then set the gain, then adjust the fader from there.... is this the normal way of using faders or is there a more conventional/traditional way? which way is better/more efficient?

Thank you : )
Jpjb14
Poster

Re: Headphone level & Fader at Unity query?? Thank you : )

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Jpjb14 wrote:...it occurred to me what volume should I have these at for recording?

At a level that let's you hear what you're doing when the ISO recording and/or stereo mix signals are at their appropriate levels! Ideally, you will find a setting that works and never touch it again. That way you will learn when the levels are in the right zone and will be able to set levels well by ear and so rely far less on having to look constantly at the meters.

Faders at Unity method - I have seen mentioned a number of time a method for using the faders, of having them at 0 then set the gain, then adjust the fader from there.... is this the normal way of using faders or is there a more conventional/traditional way?

We've already covered this. Faders are for mixing. Gain controls are for setting the initial signal levels.

The fader '0' position is the 'do nothing' default.

When you are setting levels you can EITHER set the faders to '0' and then use the output meters to set levels with the gain control, OR you can use the PFL facility to set the levels which monitors the signal before the faders but effectively assumes they will be in the '0' position when in use.

The ideal starting point for a mix is with all the faders at '0', so some people effectively try to set up their first mix using the gain controls...

However, if you have a loud source element that doesn't need to appear high in the mix, this approach means you'll record that specific source with a very low gain, potentially compromising it's signal-noise ratio. So you have to look at these things intelligently and bend 'the rules' to suit the situation.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Jpjb14 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Jpjb14 wrote:...it occurred to me what volume should I have these at for recording?

At a level that let's you hear what you're doing when the ISO recording and/or stereo mix signals are at their appropriate levels! Ideally, you will find a setting that works and never touch it again. That way you will learn when the levels are in the right zone and will be able to set levels well by ear and so rely far less on having to look constantly at the meters.

Hi Hugh, thank you for this, what you say they're makes total sense and I very much appreciate these tips.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Jpjb14 wrote:Faders at Unity method - I have seen mentioned a number of time a method for using the faders, of having them at 0 then set the gain, then adjust the fader from there.... is this the normal way of using faders or is there a more conventional/traditional way?

We've already covered this. Faders are for mixing. Gain controls are for setting the initial signal levels.

The fader '0' position is the 'do nothing' default.

When you are setting levels you can EITHER set the faders to '0' and then use the output meters to set levels with the gain control, OR you can use the PFL facility to set the levels which monitors the signal before the faders but effectively assumes they will be in the '0' position when in use.

The ideal starting point for a mix is with all the faders at '0', so some people effectively try to set up their first mix using the gain controls...

However, if you have a loud source element that doesn't need to appear high in the mix, this approach means you'll record that specific source with a very low gain, potentially compromising it's signal-noise ratio. So you have to look at these things intelligently and bend 'the rules' to suit the situation.

Thank you for this one too and for you help on the other thread.. Apologies for the slight duplication. I realised after writing this post that this particular question probably lived on the other forum, hence the other thread. But yeah as always your help and support if very much appreciated : )
Jpjb14
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

... and you got the same answer here as you did from Curtis Judd... ;)

Great minds... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Mike Stranks wrote:... and you got the same answer here as you did from Curtis Judd... ;)

Phew! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Jpjb14 »

Mike Stranks wrote:... and you got the same answer here as you did from Curtis Judd... ;)

Great minds... :lol:

Haha yeah I thought when I joined the live, why not ask aha… But no you have all been really really helpful and such a supportive & welcoming community :)
Jpjb14
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Curtis is one of the best... you won't go far wrong following him - as well as the esteemed writers of SoS of course!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by forumuser840717 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Who he? :?
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

forumuser840717 wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Curtis is a well-respected equipment reviewer and live-streamer from the States. He has a live-stream on Sundays to which I regularly drop-in. The O/P here asked the question on last-Sunday's live-stream. I recognised that it was him, because the kit list was identical, not to mention the question! :)

Curtis is a practising audio-for-video guy who works mainly in the corporate sphere. Calm, reasoned and no hype.... just like SoS reviews of course! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Mike Stranks wrote:
forumuser840717 wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Curtis is a well-respected equipment reviewer and live-streamer from the States. He has a live-stream on Sundays to which I regularly drop-in. The O/P here asked the question on last-Sunday's live-stream. I recognised that it was him, because the kit list was identical, not to mention the question! :)

Curtis is a practising audio-for-video guy who works mainly in the corporate sphere. Calm, reasoned and no hype.... just like SOS reviews of course! :lol:

Oh, ok. I'd never heard of him and imdb has nothing on him (unless he's actually called Judd Curtis who was apparently an uncredited camera operator on a 1958 Disney film about a horse!).

Anyway, now I know; thanks.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

His YouTube channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5_6sZEVufCP2AlIzuYCHQ

One of the more sensible and trustworthy YT'ers IMHO
Hugh Robjohns

Hugh Robjohns wrote:His YouTube channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5_6sZEVufCP2AlIzuYCHQ

One of the more sensible and trustworthy YT'ers IMHO

Thanks Hugh (and Mike).

With my high level of engagement with social media :crazy: I keep forgetting that YouTube is more than a good resource for obscure music and pointless time wasting.

I just had a look at his channel listings (haven't watched anything yet) and anyone who can put up a 1:04:39 video entitled "Sound for Video Session: Cleaning Audio Cables and Q&A" sounds like a man after my own heart :tongue:
forumuser840717
Regular