SDC Pair, which to choose?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

SDC Pair, which to choose?

Post by Funkyflash5 »

After my last session used all of my SDCs at once, I decided that I should probably use some of the proceeds there-of on a new pair to have choices in future sessions. What I already own (as far as SDCs) are a pair of Lauten Audio LA 120, a Mxl V67n, a Shure Beta 181/BI, an Audix ADX51, and several Shure Beta 98s. The new pair will be used for drum overheads, acoustic guitar, violin/viola, possibly as a room pair for a horn section, probably some aux percussion. Budget is approximately $600USD.

So far the top contenders are:
AKG C451 B
Oktava MK-012
Rode NT55
sE Electronics sE8

I'm happy to consider others I've overlooked and would stretch the budget a bit if there was a compelling reason. What would you choose and why? Is the hypercardioid caps with the Oktavas enough reason to chose those? Or is having the omni option with my LA 120's good enough and having my second pair cardioid only fine?

If I've left something out let me know, I'm excited to hear what y'all think
Funkyflash5
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: SDC Pair, which to choose?

Post by djangodeadman »

There are omni capsules available for the SE8’s now, although they don’t come with them.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Mike Stranks »

Not very well known on your side of the pond I think, but I'd check-out the CM4 and OM1s from Line Audio...

They punch way above their weight and you could probably get a pair of each within your budget or thereabouts!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Funkyflash5 wrote:So far the top contenders are:
AKG C451 B
Oktava MK-012
Rode NT55
sE Electronics sE8

I'd swerve the AKGs. The C451 is an pale imitation of the original. I don't know the sE8s so can't comment on those. The Oktava is good and you can add different capsules to gain flexibility, and the same with the NT55 which are both good mics... but I would opt for the Oktavas, not least because they sound great and come with the three capsules -- hypercardioids are very useful!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39024 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by manwilde »

Not that I have compared them to lots of other SDCs, but I've been using my Oktavas for several years now and they have never let me down. And the three different capsules get used a lot.
manwilde
Regular

Post by Funkyflash5 »

Looks like I'm going to go with the Oktavas! Thanks everyone for the input
Funkyflash5
Regular

Post by manwilde »

:thumbup:
Swapping capsules without changing anything else on a given setting is a great learning experience, and lots of fun.
manwilde
Regular

Post by Funkyflash5 »

Oktavas were supposed to arrive today, but FedEx decided to drop them off for pickup at Walgreens and they have gone missing :( Customer support has asked me to try again tomorrow in case it was mis-scanned and is still on a truck :wtf:
Funkyflash5
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

:(:headbang:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by John Willett »

Mike Stranks wrote:Not very well known on your side of the pond I think, but I'd check-out the CM4 and OM1s from Line Audio...

They punch way above their weight and you could probably get a pair of each within your budget or thereabouts!

I agree - these are my no.1 recommendations for people who need good mics on a limited budget. :thumbup:
John Willett
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Macca_25387 »

Oktavas would be my choice also from my own personal experience. Great mics.
Macca_25387
Poster

Post by Funkyflash5 »

Several days of nonsense from FedEx later, the Oktavas have arrived! I'll be giving them a test run tomorrow
Funkyflash5
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Well at least they've arrived! :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/