Second set of monitors?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Second set of monitors?

Post by Arpangel »

All is well, at Angel Towers, no major concerns about the studio, but I’ve expanded on a side table, so the whole set-up is in a big L shape, monitors and computer in front, keyboards etc to the side, so I need another pair of speakers.
I’m OK when mixing etc, but I need another set for when I’m sitting at the synths, as I can’t hear very well to the side. I’ve got a hi-fi I could have used, but my partner has commandeered it for conservatory music duties.
I can’t think, do I say goodby to my Behringer monitors, and use those for programming, getting a better pair of main monitors, or should I just get a cheap pair for programming and keep the Berry’s as usual?

Yours, confused.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Second set of monitors?

Post by resistorman »

Same thing happened to me. I bought Eris E5XTs with an Eris Sub 8 for synth duties. A lot of fun and surprisingly accurate, though maybe a bit too flattering for critical mixing. Still, it’s nice to shake the room up a bit with those low notes for extra synth inspiration.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

I don't think I have ever read an SoS review of the Behringer monitors? You seem to rate them and in truth (see what I did there!) I have not read anything bad about them but maybe this is an opportunity to get something REALLY top notch?

Phil Ward was very taken with a pair of (Polish?) speakers a while ago and I think they were sub £1k5 a pair?

Regarding the 'stolen' hi fi speakers, bit risky putting synths through them unless they were unusually massive?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by MOF »

The KRK range are very good value for money. I’ve got the VXT6 version.

https://www.krkmusic.com/
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by ore_terra »

MOF wrote:The KRK range are very good value for money. I’ve got the VXT6 version.

agree. the non rokit KRK's are good and usable.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1066 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by Mike Stranks »

ore_terra wrote:
MOF wrote:The KRK range are very good value for money. I’ve got the VXT6 version.

agree. the non rokit KRK's are good and usable.

Yup! :thumbup: I have the VXT4s
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm going to plug the Adam T5Vs again, I have no connection with them but when I went to listen to some with a friend last year they were definitely the best in the sub £300 category to my ears.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by shufflebeat »

blinddrew wrote:I'm going to plug the Adam T5Vs again, I have no connection with them but when I went to listen to some with a friend last year they were definitely the best in the sub £300 category to my ears.

I'll second that. My meagre folkie offerings translate much better to the car and other systems since I started using them.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9092 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by uselessoldman »

I have a set of Adams T7Vs and love them to bits. Besides the 5 yr warranty when I was researching and testing studio monitors I found them to be miles better than anything in their price range and better than some that cost significantly more.

I found the 7s had just that little more bottom end punch than the 5s, yes they do cost a little bit more but worth it.
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Dave, the Berry’s are absolutely fine, for the money, they don’t have any major glaring issues, that distract me, I can remember searching very hard at the time for something cheap and cheerful, and these were the best of the bunch, and of course, over the years, my ears have got even more used to them.
In my last flat I had loads of spare speakers that never got used, but now I’m in this house, they’ve all got used up, on various things.
Monitors I’ve heard and liked, what I call "serious" ones, are Event Opals, ATC SCM20 Pro, SCM25, and the venerable Yamaha NS10, I always liked I like a lean sound, so many monitors seem to have a bass hump, another one I liked was the Acoustic Energy AE1.
The Presonus system with the sub as mentioned here sounds like it could be good for programming, I like their stuff, I may give them a try anyway, but for main monitoring, I really don’t know, if I replace the Berry’s they will be used for my synths anyway.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OK, decided no sub, could be really bad, I just need two speakers.
Prepared to spend on either of these two, Eris 5 XT, or Adam T5’s, any overall opinions appreciated, it’s no big deal, I don’t want to ad any more to the equation, either of these could be good.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

How are you planning to switch between these two sets of monitors?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...