Second set of monitors?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Second set of monitors?

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote:ONCE upon a time... the quality of speakers, both in the upper echelons of 'hi fi' and studio monitors was compared to REAL acoustic instruments!

I would say the ideal of becoming 'imprinted' on a set of speakers would be totally alien to the old guard that I was brought up with? People such as John Crabbe, Angus McKenzie (Hi Fi News) Hugh Ford (Studio Sound) Peter Walker (Acoustical 'Quad') Percy Wilson and many others that went to CONCERTS!

Comparing speakers to 'speakers' is to me a Zanzibar fallacy.

Ok, apart from that rant Arp'. Having a "less than perfect room" is to me no obstacle to getting some highly accurate monitors. Surely the listening experience can only be enhanced and at least you know you have a solid baseline from which to consider treating the room? Cannot have a silk room with pig's ear speakers!

Dave.

I’m happy though, with my speakers, if not I wouldn’t be using them, my recordings are OK, I can hear what I’m doing fine. What I’m saying is that there isn’t such a big difference between certain speakers, in the real world of my studio.
There are various schools of thought, like you say, comparing with the natural sound of acoustic instruments as a reference point, that’s fine, and I agree, if you’re working a lot with acoustic instruments, or making classical recordings, that’s a good way of judging things, but I don’t work with acoustic instruments most of the time, and I have no real world reference, as the sounds I make haven’t been heard before, largely, so there’s nothing to be compared, in this scenario, I go for a speaker that sounds best with my music or the type of music I make, that’s where comparing speakers with speakers comes in, what else am I supposed to do?
When I record piano and Marimba here, it sounds fine on my speakers anyway, this whole thing about reference points, the whole monitor shebang, is all a bit of a joke sometimes, you just have to go with what you like, and that’s it.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Sorry, just picked up on this thread again. I like the Genelec monitors because they have a nice clear sound that is not dissimilar to my KH120s (now my main monitors). I particularly like the way that sound is common across the family which makes moving between the various monitors (and to the KH120s) unproblematic. Almost all my recording is acoustic and very little with the synths, which suits them well. However when I have listened to electronic music on them I have not felt discomfited. Also they feel well made (another trait they share with the KH120s).

At the end of the day they're just nice speakers.

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Arpangel »

ConcertinaChap wrote:Sorry, just picked up on this thread again. I like the Genelec monitors because they have a nice clear sound that is not dissimilar to my KH120s (now my main monitors). I particularly like the way that sound is common across the family which makes moving between the various monitors (and to the KH120s) unproblematic. Almost all my recording is acoustic and very little with the synths, which suits them well. However when I have listened to electronic music on them I have not felt discomfited. Also they feel well made (another trait they share with the KH120s).

At the end of the day they're just nice speakers.

CC

Hmmm? I used a pair of K+H 110’s for awhile, they were OK too, but I had to give them back, are the 120’s any different to those?

:think:
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

No idea, sorry.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Arpangel »

Problem over, my friend has taken the Geny's back, I’m either getting another pair of Berry's, which seems like the logical thing to do, to keep the sound consistent, or second choice, a pair of M-Audio BX8's, but because I’m a cheapskate, probably the Berry's.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Stickman0_3 »

I may be a little bit late. In my setup in my flat, I also have two sets of speakers, they are a pair of Yamaha NS10m's and a pair of Spirit Absolute 2's.
Stickman0_3
Regular
Posts: 255 Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 pm Location: Birmingham

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote:Problem over, my friend has taken the Geny's back, I’m either getting another pair of Berry's, which seems like the logical thing to do, to keep the sound consistent, or second choice, a pair of M-Audio BX8's, but because I’m a cheapskate, probably the Berry's.

"Consistent"? It will be interesting to see how similar the new Behringers are to the originals. How long have you had them Tone'? Two factors are involved.

1, How well do B's keep sound consistent over time? This is notoriously difficult to achieve even for top flight speaker makers.
2, This might shed light on the 'Burning in' debate? Yours are surely AS 'burned' as they are going to get. I will bet the new ones EITHER sound about the same as the incumbents...OR they are brighter and brasher but never get any different!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Problem over, my friend has taken the Geny's back, I’m either getting another pair of Berry's, which seems like the logical thing to do, to keep the sound consistent, or second choice, a pair of M-Audio BX8's, but because I’m a cheapskate, probably the Berry's.

"Consistent"? It will be interesting to see how similar the new Behringers are to the originals. How long have you had them Tone'? Two factors are involved.

1, How well do B's keep sound consistent over time? This is notoriously difficult to achieve even for top flight speaker makers.
2, This might shed light on the 'Burning in' debate? Yours are surely AS 'burned' as they are going to get. I will bet the new ones EITHER sound about the same as the incumbents...OR they are brighter and brasher but never get any different!

Dave.

Dave, I’ve had the Berry's for about seven years, they are the B3031's, 8 inch, ribbon tweeter.
It doesn’t matter anyway, and it's the reason why I never get to buy "anything" these days post Brexit, is that there’s no stock, anywhere, same for a lot of other monitors too, it’s doing my head in, totally.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Great, found a pair of Berry's for next day delivery’, problem solved.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster