Behringer UMC204 low output.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Behringer UMC204 low output.

Post by Arpangel »

Strange, the output has suddenly dropped, for no reason.
It’s plugged into my Mackie 1202 sub mixer, which then goes into my MixWiz, I have to have the gain on the stereo channel at maximum, and even then it’s still about -12dB on my meters, with the UMC volume of max too.
It’s suddenly happened, and it’s puzzling me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Behringer UMC204 low output.

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote:Strange, the output has suddenly dropped, for no reason.
It’s plugged into my Mackie 1202 sub mixer, which then goes into my MixWiz, I have to have the gain on the stereo channel at maximum, and even then it’s still about -12dB on my meters, with the UMC volume of max too.
It’s suddenly happened, and it’s puzzling me.

Check 'Playback Level' in Windows Sounds Settings.

Those budget AIs don't chuck out much anyway.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16524 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

So is the lack of level apparent at the Mackie sub mixer or the MixWiz?

Does it affect only the Behringer output or other sources too?

If it was working yesterday and not today then finger-trouble is the more likely -- routing buttons mis-set or something like that. But partially pulled out connectors is equally likely.

And I don't know if the interface has a software mixer but check the settings of that, and your routing to the interface from your DAW.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by DGL. »

I did notice that the windows master volume affects both the regular WDM sound output and the ASIO output if the Behringer is used as the main audio output (I also have a UMC204HD). So as has been said before that might be an issue,.
Also check to make sure the master output and mix controls are in the right position if you are using the main/mix 1/4" output rather than the individual output RCA's.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:too?But partially pulled out connectors is equally likely.

Good point, I’ve checked everything else, all is fine, this could be the issue, my new rack box makes checking these things a real pain!
Also, I’m having trouble setting levels on both my UMC1820 too, the line inputs are way too hot when set to line level, but when set to instrument, all is fine, I have no trouble setting levels in Reaper, I’m running the 1820 from its main outs, straight into the monitors, the 204 through a mixer.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:....the line inputs are way too hot when set to line level, but when set to instrument, all is fine

This makes no sense. Line inputs are alwaysless sensitive than instrument inputs. So for a given source level it should be the instrument inputs reading too hot, not the line inputs! :crazy:
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:....the line inputs are way too hot when set to line level, but when set to instrument, all is fine

This makes no sense. Line inputs are alwaysless sensitive than instrument inputs. So for a given source level it should be the instrument inputs reading too hot, not the line inputs! :crazy:

You would think so Doc' but the (rather limited) specification gives the max input for the line input as +11dBu, same as the mic input but the instrument input can handle +18dBu! The conclusion seems to be that the line ins have more gain?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Not sure where your figures come from Dave.

The specs I found* for maximum input levels are:

Mic: -4 dBu / Line: +20 dBu / Instrument: -3 dBu

They conform to my normal expectations. as described above.

*These numbers came from page 42 here: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/he1/hdc/8849614274590.pdf
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Not sure where your figures come from Dave.

The specs I found* for maximum input levels are:

Mic: -4 dBu / Line: +20 dBu / Instrument: -3 dBu

They conform to my normal expectations. as described above.

*These numbers came from page 42 here: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/he1/hdc/8849614274590.pdf

I got them from the 'quick start guide' for the 1820. That link does not include the 1820 AFAICS and there is no page 42?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

I assure you, the gain is higher if I select line on the 1820, much higher, than the instrument input, I line my system up so that Reapers inputs correspond to -12bB and the green lights are just flashing on the 1820 inputs, to get that to happen with line, everything overloads, and I can’t reduce the input level in Reaper to -12dB, if I select instrument, all is OK, and lines up fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ef37a wrote:I got them from the 'quick start guide' for the 1820. That link does not include the 1820 AFAICS

Apologies... I thought the discussion was about the UMC204, per the thread title. I hadn't realised Tony had moved on to more problems with an 1820... I can't keep up! :crazy:

So, having checked the paperwork for that model instead (page 22 here) it does indeed appear to claim that the maximum input levels are: Mic:11dBu / Line:11dBu / Instrument:18dBu

How utterly bizarre and baffling! I'd have assumed that was a paperwork typo but Tony's description would suggest it's really correct. Madness!

Oh well... use the instrument input for high-level line signals then... :eh:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ef37a »

". I can't keep up!" Comes to us all Hugh!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:I got them from the 'quick start guide' for the 1820. That link does not include the 1820 AFAICS

Apologies... I thought the discussion was about the UMC204, per the thread title. I hadn't realised Tony had moved on to more problems with an 1820... I can't keep up! :crazy:

So, having checked the paperwork for that model instead (page 22 here) it does indeed appear to claim that the maximum input levels are: Mic:11dBu / Line:11dBu / Instrument:18dBu

How utterly bizarre and baffling! I'd have assumed that was a paperwork typo but Tony's description would suggest it's really correct. Madness!

It is weird, only thing I was worrying about, is , are these instrument inputs designed for things like guitars? will they alter the tone or response on anything plugged into them, but I guess, it’s just a pad, nothing else.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

It is weird, only thing I was worrying about, is , are these instrument inputs designed for things like guitars? will they alter the tone or response on anything plugged into them, but I guess, it’s just a pad, nothing else.

Some do, some don't. There is no technical reason why an instrument, high impedance input should be any 'flatter' or less linear than any other but some mnfctrs use a discrete FET and make big play of the 'attitude' produced thereby. Personally I would rather have things 'flat, 'clean' and 'dry' !

You could always make up some simple resistive attenuators?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Some do, some don't. There is no technical reason why an instrument, high impedance input should be any 'flatter' or less linear than any other but some mnfctrs use a discrete FET and make big play of the 'attitude' produced thereby. Personally I would rather have things 'flat, 'clean' and 'dry' !

You could always make up some simple resistive attenuators?

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I can’t "hear" any difference between the inputs, I guess it is just a pad, sounds clean enough, just the same as the line.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster