Successor to my E-MU 1820

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Successor to my E-MU 1820

Post by walkingbeard »

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new interface, and I wanted to go in a different direction from the first-gen Scarlett 2i2 I've been using for several years. Prior to that, I had two E-MU 1820s, which both eventually died - I think capacitors blew, because that was a common problem with them. At the time, I let them go because the 1820 was a PCI-based card, which wasn't very practical.

Trouble is, I've never liked the sound I get from the 2i2. I've always felt it was dry and clinical, and lacking in the richness I got from the 1820s, even when I left the 1820's DSP largely ignored.

When I got the first 1820, it was touted, possibly by SOS, as having really excellent preamps and converters. I'm not good enough with the technicalities to know if these are why it sounded so much better than the Scarlett 2i2, but perhaps you know.

Please can anyone offer any advice on recent small interfaces that might live up to the E-MUs?
walkingbeard

Re: Successor to my E-MU 1820

Post by Zukan »

I have the Audient id22 and the pres are excellent. It's well built, has a sensible routing matrix and decent headphone amp...all in all very happy with it.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Re: Successor to my E-MU 1820

Post by walkingbeard »

Thank you! I will check it out.
walkingbeard