OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

Post by Martin Walker »

We've had quite a few discussions about various 'Cheap OEM' web sites on the SOS Forums recently, and they trade on the confusion that the term OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) seems to generate (largely because so many PC hardware/software sites offer both Retail and slightly cheaper OEM versions of products that come without extras, manuals, and so on).

Sadly some people fall for it, and even think they are paying for the real thing, so rather than start any more threads with links to dodgy web sites offering software at amazingly low prices, have a read of some of these existing threads instead:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ber=667699

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ber=716268

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ber=710691

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ber=720714

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

Post by benton »

Ive seen this fish before. Nice job on the heads up!
benton

Post by NickDawes »

Really useful to know, thanks for the post!
NickDawes
New here
Posts: 6 Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 am Location: Nice, France

Post by DaleSmith »

Cracked software is what it is. The sites do make it look legal, and people do buy them in good faith.
The amount of people doing it on ebay is amazing. I thought they would have tighter rules on this kinda thing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290545082057&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_1058wt_1141

for example

:madas:
DaleSmith
Regular
Posts: 261 Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am Location: Hull, UK

Post by hollowsun »

DaleSmith wrote:The amount of people doing it on ebay is amazing. I thought they would have tighter rules on this kinda thing.

You seem to be under the impression that eBay actually give a sh!t. They don't!

Impudent wastrels sell my free sound library stuff on the Bay of E claiming it to be their own work ... and eBay couldn't give a toss and you have to leap through hoops and suck pebbles through a straw to prove your copyright. It takes so bloody long that the feckers have long gone by the time eBay start to take notice by which time it's too late.

And when it happens again, you have to start all over again!

As long as eBay get their sales commission, they couldn't care less! Image
hollowsun
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2036 Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cowbridge, South Wales
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Post by Henry Mark1 »

Nice post. Thanks for sharing this useful resource here with us.
Henry Mark1
Poster

Post by Stoney »

So is this legitimate?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XP-PROFESSIONAL-SP3-Windows-Professional/dp/B002ORYHKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350746057&sr=8-1

I thought I was buying a genuine copy from amazon - but it says OEM on the package...
Stoney
Regular
Posts: 304 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Post by James Perrett »

Windows XP is legitimately available as OEM software provided it is sold with hardware - hence the odd reference to hardware in that listing.

James.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Stoney »

No hardware with it - just CD and booklet
Stoney
Regular
Posts: 304 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Post by Skerrick »

DaleSmith wrote:Cracked software is what it is. The sites do make it look legal, and people do buy them in good faith.
The amount of people doing it on ebay is amazing. I thought they would have tighter rules on this kinda thing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2905450...

for example

:madas:

yeah man i bought a sample pack for like $4 off ebay that had all the kick drums, hats snares etc from reason, logic, maschine, ableton, fl and cubase... :s
Skerrick
Regular

Post by Dr60hz »

Nice post Martin. I am new to the forum and I like that people look out for each other here. I have been working with audio for almost 30 years now and the only advice I can add regarding software is, buy it directly from the manufacturer. Go to Waves or whatever company it is that makes what you are looking to purchase, and purchase it from them directly and you can't go wrong.
Dr60hz

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Richard, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Yes, we like to look out for forum users, SOS readers and software developers alike here :D

We're all musicians after all!

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Nannie Braz »

It's nice to know, Very useful..thank you for the post! :)
Nannie Braz

Post by alexis »

James Perrett wrote:Windows XP is legitimately available as OEM software provided it is sold with hardware - hence the odd reference to hardware in that listing.

James.

I'm speccing a pre-built DAW from a reputable company ... the included Windows 7 is "OEM" ... is that anything I should be concerned about/ try to change?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3851 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by James Perrett »

I wouldn't have thought that would be a problems as the company building your computer are a proper OEM - exactly the sort of people that Microsoft intend the OEM version to be sold to.

First line support should come from the DAW maker rather than Microsoft themselves.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by alexis »

James Perrett wrote:I wouldn't have thought that would be a problems as the company building your computer are a proper OEM - exactly the sort of people that Microsoft intend the OEM version to be sold to.

First line support should come from the DAW maker rather than Microsoft themselves.

Great, thank you, James!
alexis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3851 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by Scramble »

alexis wrote:I'm speccing a pre-built DAW from a reputable company ... the included Windows 7 is "OEM" ... is that anything I should be concerned about/ try to change?

This is standard with companies that custom-build computer and DAW systems, and I'd be suspicious if they weren't using an OEM version.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Post by stewartjames008 »

OEM (original equiment manufacturer) Music software easy to work with, and when included with your hardware, provide your customers with everything they need to start recording and making music. It is the Best mixing music software.
stewartjames008
New here

Post by KsJohn »

Good work...enough said!!! don't fall for cheap products ....reliability is all matters.. thnx for the post!!!
KsJohn
Poster
http://www.analogmix.com/
::.ANALOG ONLINE MIXING...to make your music spellbinding.:

Post by OneWorld »

I thought I was safe buy applying the wisdom "If it sounds too good to be true it is" So, some years ago now, I paid £100 for Reason 5, which I thought was a reasonable price for used software. I received it and all I got for my £100 was a white label cracked CD in a plastic sleeve, total cost have been about £1.00 including postage.

So next time I bought used software, it was Cubase 4, I asked for confirmation that it came with the official USB dongle, boxed and with the registration card, the seller assured me yes yes yes, and took £120 off me - what I received was a cracked copy, in a plastic sleeve and the darned thing was so scratched it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I only ever buy from retailers or manufacturers, and in fact considering the cost of upgrades which are on the whole reasonable, I think it works out cheaper!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster