Anything cheaper than iZotope's RX?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Anything cheaper than iZotope's RX?

Post by TNGator »

Hey gang. Im plagued on this song with pops and crackles on various tracks. Not extremely loud but they are there. I tried Audacity and it did nothing. I know iZotope software is really good and i have one or two items of theirs. But even the RX7 elements is like $130. Anyone know of a good software fro removing unwanted pops and such? Thanks y'all.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Re: Anything cheaper than iZotopes RX?

Post by awjoe »

Adobe Audition is on a subscription model, so at 20 USD a month it's cheaper than RX depending on how long you plan to use it. And it's great noise reduction software.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Before I went over to Izotope I used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. Not in the same class as Izotope but it is a lot cheaper. For the money I was happy enough with it as long as I didn't let it 'auto' anything, but set the parameters myself.

Hint: two gentle passes is better than one more aggressive one...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

You need the standard version of RX to effectively remove pops and crackles as the Elements version doesn't include De-crackle or spectral repair. I also use Adobe Audition (albeit the old Version 3) and find it to often be better at removing pops and crackles from vinyl while still retaining the original sound quality. I also find Audition better at removing single clicks - RX seems to have a habit of affecting audio outside the area that you select.

And as Mike says, multiple gentle passes are always better.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by TNGator »

Thanks AW, Mike and James. Much obliged. Yes the RX Elements wont be use then by the sounds of it. I'll check out Audition and Magix. It's just this one particular project and i dont want to have to re-record the various problem tracks. I could subscribe for the $20 a month and then cancel when Im done.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by TNGator »

That Soundforge looks pretty useful and is about $80. A lot cheaper than iZotopes baby.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by James Perrett »

TNGator wrote:That Soundforge looks pretty useful and is about $80. A lot cheaper than iZotopes baby.

I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the Sony or Magix restoration software when I last looked at it but that was many years ago so it may be better now. As you already own some Izotope products it is well worth checking out their special offers as they often have good deals on RX for existing customers.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by TNGator »

James Perrett wrote:
TNGator wrote:That Soundforge looks pretty useful and is about $80. A lot cheaper than iZotopes baby.

I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the Sony or Magix restoration software when I last looked at it but that was many years ago so it may be better now. As you already own some Izotope products it is well worth checking out their special offers as they often have good deals on RX for existing customers.

I might fire them an email. One of the guys here said that Elements doesnt have the De Click so it wouldnt be much use. I'd have to get the next one up which is RX Standard. And that bad is about 300....ouch.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by ConcertinaChap »

James Perrett wrote:As you already own some Izotope products it is well worth checking out their special offers as they often have good deals on RX for existing customers.

I was about to post similar. They're like a few other companies like UAD - their software is expensive but they quite frequently come up with generous upgrades and offers. Thus I got RX6 Elements originally for 25 quid and worked my way up to RX7 Standard over the next few months in relatively inexpensive steps. The time scale may not help you but if you can wait it's a good strategy.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12863 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.

Post by Zukan »

Acon Digital might be worth a look. Cheap as chips.

https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by Mike Stranks »

.... several versions ago the Magix offering incorporated Spectral Repair under licence from Izotope. Fortuitously I have that version as well as a comparatively recent one... It's a bit glitchy, but does what it's supposed to...

James makes an interesting point with which I concur. Although my experience is limited I've found different packages each have their own strengths and weaknesses. So X may be better at de-clicking, while Y may be better at almost transparent hum removal.

I have several different 'cleaning' packages and mix and match depending on what I need to do.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Tim Gillett »

TNGator wrote:Hey gang. Im plagued on this song with pops and crackles on various tracks. Not extremely loud but they are there. I tried Audacity and it did nothing. I know iZotope software is really good and i have one or two items of theirs. But even the RX7 elements is like $130. Anyone know of a good software fro removing unwanted pops and such? Thanks y'all.

Really to advise with more certainty we need to hear the "pops and crackles" that you are hearing. There are limits to what's possible without damaging the wanted audio. Any chance of a short sample audio?

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2625 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia