Waves plugins - Mono or Stereo?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Waves plugins - Mono or Stereo?

Post by dehaan »

I want to buy the waves doubler - because I want to make my mono vocals sound stereo.
Waves plugins have mono and stereo versions so I dunno which to use.

If my original vocals are in mono.
And I apply the waves doubler.
- Do I use the mono version - because its recorded in Mono?
- Do I use the stereo version - because I want it to BECOME stereo.

And Then - After the vocals are processed with the waves doubler - they are Stereo
If I want to use another waves plugin (e.g. reverb) on the same track, after the doubler
- Do I use the mono version - because the original recording was mono?
- Do I use stereo version - because the track has become mono due to the waves doubler?
dehaan
New here

Re: Waves plugins - Mono or Stereo?

Post by muzines »

I don't know what DAW you use, but if your source audio is mono, and you want it to *become* stereo (because you want doubled vocals panned to opposite sides), you want a mono to stereo version.

In Logic, you'd insert a "Mono -> Stereo" version of the plugin on the mono track, and after the plugin, the channel becomes stereo at that point.

I assume other DAWs will have something similar, they all do more or less the same things.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by ManFromGlass »

Good question about the reverb. I would suggest, as you aren’t going to break anything, so try the verb on one at a time and see which sound you like best or works best for your song
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by CS70 »

dehaan wrote:I want to buy the waves doubler - because I want to make my mono vocals sound stereo.

And Then - After the vocals are processed with the waves doubler - they are Stereo
If I want to use another waves plugin (e.g. reverb) on the same track, after the doubler
- Do I use stereo version - because the track has become mono due to the waves doubler?

If you want your vocals to sound stereo, use the mono-to-stereo version on a stereo track.

There's always three things conceptually involved in a DAW (some DAWs have defaults or do some magic on this, so you may or may not see all of this in all of them):

- the track interleave type (stereo or mono)
- the audio signal nature (stereo or mono)
- the effect input and output (stereo or mono)

The audio is, of course, mono (one channel) or stereo (two channels, L and R).

The track type controls how the audio signal is handled when placed on a track: if the track is mono, mono signals will stay mono and stereo signals will be summed up; if the track is stereo, mono signals will usually be "stereoized" by creating L/R channels will identical content, and stereo signals will stay how they are (the DAW's pan law usually affects the levels).

For effects, it's a bit more tricky since it really depends on what the plugin developer decided to do. When put on a stereo track, many mono plugins simply use one channel in input and output to one channel, resulting in only one channel of the stereo track to be "effected", and/or one become silent if placed on a stereo track. But the developer may decide to be helpful and decide for example to have a two channels output also on a "mono" version of the plug, so that the (mono) output is duplicated on both.

Note also that if you record a mono input on a stereo track, some DAWs may try to be helpful and duly duplicate the input on two channels, resulting in a dual mono recording.. which makes things fun when you use a mono plugin on them :)

Not sure what Waves Doubler do, I have it but haven't used it recently - but basically:

- set up a stereo track
- import your mono vocal
- use the stereo ("mono to stereo") version of the plug
Last edited by CS70 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Fishnish »

I usually set a stereo version of the doubler100% wet so it gives only the doubles not the dry vocal, put it on a stereo FX track and send the mono vocal to it. That way I can easily automate or mute the doubler as required. The reverb goes on another send so I can send any amout of any vocal track (including the doubler) into it. All the vox tracks including the send FX then go to a group vocal channel .

But there's a multiude of ways to do this depending on your intended result. For me, the Waves Doubler works best as a stereo effect though.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by dehaan »

CS70 wrote:
dehaan wrote:I want to buy the waves doubler - because I want to make my mono vocals sound stereo.

If you want your vocals to sound stereo, use the mono-to-stereo version on a stereo track.

There's always three things conceptually involved in a DAW (some DAWs have defaults or do some magic on this, so you may or may not see all of this in all of them):

- the track interleave type (stereo or mono)
- the audio signal nature (stereo or mono)
- the effect input and output (stereo or mono)

The audio is, of course, mono (one channel) or stereo (two channels, L and R).

The track type controls how the audio signal is handled when placed on a track: if the track is mono, mono signals will stay mono and stereo signals will be summed up; if the track is stereo, mono signals will usually be "stereoized" by creating L/R channels will identical content, and stereo signals will stay how they are (the DAW's pan law usually affects the levels).

For effects, it's a bit more tricky since it really depends on what the plugin developer decided to do. When put on a stereo track, many mono plugins simply use one channel in input and output to one channel, resulting in only one channel of the stereo track to be "effected", and/or one become silent if placed on a stereo track. But the developer may decide to be helpful and decide for example to have a two channels output also on a "mono" version of the plug, so that the (mono) output is duplicated on both.

Note also that if you record a mono input on a stereo track, some DAWs may try to be helpful and duly duplicate the input on two channels, resulting in a dual mono recording.. which makes things fun when you use a mono plugin on them :)

Not sure what Waves Doubler do, I have it but haven't used it recently - but basically:

- set up a stereo track
- import your mono vocal
- use the stereo ("mono to stereo") version of the plug

Thanks, I use FL studio. I don't know how to set up a stereo track/channel. When you say import your vocal I assume you mean do it in parallel like #1 below. Below is the emal I sent to Waves just now.

Email:
●I want to use the waves doubler - to make my mono vocals sound stereo. 
Waves plugins have "mono", "stereo" and "mono to stereo" versions.
I use FL studio.

●Waves gave 2 options:
#1. Parallel - "You can create an FX bus and insert the Doubler "Stereo" plugin. 
Next, send the mono vocal track to the FX bus."

#2. Insert - "You can also insert the plugin on the mono vocal track.
Insert the Doubler "Mono to the Stereo" component."

● Question
Why must I use "Mono to Stereo" version for #2 but "stereo" version for #1. It's the exact same mono signal in both cases... In #1 the only difference is that the mono signal has been sent to another insert. 
dehaan
New here

Post by muzines »

dehaan wrote:●Waves gave 2 options:
#1. Parallel - "You can create an FX bus and insert the Doubler "Stereo" plugin. 

#2 is what I suggested above, and is the simplest way.

dehaan wrote:● Question
Why must I use "Mono to Stereo" version for #2 but "stereo" version for #1. It's the exact same mono signal in both cases... In #1 the only difference is that the mono signal has been sent to another insert. 

Because in 2, you are converting a mono signal into a stereo one (and essentially mixing in the dry mono with the plugin stereo doubles mixed within the plugin).

In #1, you are just sending a copy of the mono signal to a stereo bus with a stereo plugin on it. The original track (your dry vocal) remains mono, and the stereo bus contains the (wet) stereo output of Doubler.
Last edited by muzines on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by dehaan »

desmond wrote:
dehaan wrote:●Waves gave 2 options:

#2 is what I suggested above, and is the simplest way.

dehaan wrote:● Question

Because in 2, you are converting a mono signal into a stereo one (and essentially mixing in the dry mono with the plugin stereo doubles mixed within the plugin).

In #1, you are just sending a copy of the mono signal to a stereo bus with a stereo plugin on it. The original track (your dry vocal) remains mono, and the stereo bus contains the (wet) stereo output of Doubler.

According to the FL studio manual:
"Mono vs Stereo - The FL Studio Insert Mixer Tracks are stereo. To hear a Mixer Track in mono, turn the Stereo separation control as indicated above, to mono (fully clockwise)."

So if all the mixer tracks are stereo by default,
when I assign my vocals (recorded in mono) to an imsert on the mixer track - the mono vocals would by default be on a "stereo" mixer track right? So both #1 and #2 happen on a stereo mixer track. So shouldnt they use the same plugin version? They are both a mono signal on a stereo track...
dehaan
New here