Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

Post by Marbury »

Well, I went for the QCon Pro G2 which is a thing of beauty and very well built as my choice of controller for Reaper.

I can get it pretty much working but some niggles I need to get round.

1) I can’t get the solo button light to display on each track when pressed. It does solo but only shows graphically in Reaper.

2) When writing automation to more than 1 track ( selecting them via select buttons) the faders all go jittery and odd as if confused, trying to all move in sync, instead of following my movements independently.

3) Reaper does not follow selected tracks made on the icon so its hard to know where you are on screen.

4) I wan’t audio only tracks to show on the icon, but it seems to display every track, including midi and folders which I don’t want.

5) Is it necessary to use the Reaper template supplied ?

7) Turn down the brightness of the LCD

8) Get the metronome button to work (it doesn't work, even using the button that the Reaper template overlay indicates)

I have had some advice from other Reaper users regarding CSI, TCP and MCPs, but it's gobbldygook to me at this stage. All I want is the hardware to work with the software without having to work out something similar to cracking the enigma code after spending £469

Again, very impressed with it in general but.........
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

Post by Marbury »

Can nobody help me with this lease ? I am getting a headache as this unit is not doing even half of what I want with Reaper, and I have now managed to install the DrivenbyMoss extension

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

But it doesn't seem to solve my problems

1) Faders do not auto track select on touching
2) Solo button does not illuminate on the console (but highlights in Reaper)
3) I can't filter out all my midi tracks/folder etc on the console as I just want the audio ONLY to show
4) I can't write fader automation to more than one track at a time as the faders go all spasmodic and weird

And much much more I could list. The Reaper overlay that came with the unit is pretty useless and thee are no online video tutorials to help my situation. It seems you have to be a rocket scientist to get this thing to work with Reaper.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Marbury wrote:Can nobody help me with this lease ? I am getting a headache as this unit is not doing even half of what I want with Reaper, and I have now managed to install the DrivenbyMoss extension

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

But it doesn't seem to solve my problems

1) Faders do not auto track select on touching
2) Solo button does not illuminate on the console (but highlights in Reaper)
3) I can't filter out all my midi tracks/folder etc on the console as I just want the audio ONLY to show
4) I can't write fader automation to more than one track at a time as the faders go all spasmodic and weird

And much much more I could list. The Reaper overlay that came with the unit is pretty useless and thee are no online video tutorials to help my situation. It seems you have to be a rocket scientist to get this thing to work with Reaper.

I wish I could help, I feel your pain. But I am a Cubase user, and my Icon works atreat. But my experience to getting it to as it should be was confounding at times. There does seem to be a paucity of help, knowledgable contacts. I only got the help I needed by emailing some big shot at ICON, who was very helpful, fixed my problem quite quickly, it was down to an update but it was not made widely known that the update fixed a particular issue. The person that got in touch me revealed he was in the process of writing a comprehensive user document but hadn't had the time to finish and he sent what he'd done already.

It is a shame because I really rate the quality of the ICON stuff, I much prefer my ICON to the MCU Pro I had before. There are 2 buttons on my ICON that don't seem to so anything, but I have given up trying to track down a solution.

But for what it's worth, best of luck
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

Well it looks like I am stuck with a pig in a poke yet again.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Are you using the Klinke MCU approach or does the Icon have its own approach?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Marbury »

No idea what that is sorry, but I looking into using CSI
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Ah, sorry, the Klinke extension is some code written by one of the folks on the Reaper forum to turn a non-Mackie Control Unit (MCU) into something that behaves the same way. I use it for my BCF2000.
I'd suggest at this point heading over to the Reaper forum and seeing what you can find there about using the Icon. I've not always found that forum as useful with responding to direct queries but there's a huge amount of stuff there if you take a bit of time and dig around.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by VCF917 »

I am on Reaper and after having initially set myself to buy a X-Touch I will probably rather buy a QCon Pro G2.
I have found a very comprehensive web page about using it with Reaper at :

https://siniarch.wixsite.com/sinisound/ ... pro-g2-csi

SiniSound, a professional studio in Los Angeles, use QCon Pro G2 with Protools and Reaper and, although I have not yet tried, I believe they provide all necessary information (plus files) to get an QCon Pro G2 working successfully with Reaper.

A big thank to the nice people of SiniSound !
VCF917

Post by Marbury »

VCF917 wrote:I am on Reaper and after having initially set myself to buy a X-Touch I will probably rather buy a QCon Pro G2.

SiniSound, a professional studio in Los Angeles, use QCon Pro G2 with Protools and Reaper and, although I have not yet tried, I believe they provide all necessary information (plus files) to get an QCon Pro G2 working successfully with Reaper.

Yes I did follow that but it never worked. I ended up using the Drivenbymoss which worked for a while, loading Reaper every time and getting the Qcon in sync but now it's hit and more miss to get it to talk to Reaper. It's a real dark Art which I can do without as I just want a working control surface mixer every time I load Reaper. I can get it working, close Reaper but the next time those settings don't seem to apply as it again fails to communicate.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by VCF917 »

Marbury wrote:
VCF917 wrote:I am on Reaper and after having initially set myself to buy a X-Touch I will probably rather buy a QCon Pro G2.

Yes I did follow that but it never worked. I ended up using the Drivenbymoss which worked for a while, loading Reaper every time and getting the Qcon in sync but now it's hit and more miss to get it to talk to Reaper. It's a real dark Art which I can do without as I just want a working control surface mixer every time I load Reaper. I can get it working, close Reaper but the next time those settings don't seem to apply as it again fails to communicate.

Thank you. So, I believe I will not go for a Qcon, also wishing to have a controller operating in a reliable manner. I was actually still a bit dubious about QCon Pro and Reaper, and having searched further for alternatives to the X-Touch I may finally choose a FaderPort 8.
VCF917

Post by Marbury »

So I seem to be stuck with a pig in a poke as every time I configure the Qcon Pro to work with Reaper, the next time I load Reaper it never seems to remember the set up. I just wish I could have something that works every time I switch it on. All this does is makes me not want to bother with it at all.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Is the configuring happening at the Icon end or the Reaper end? Or both?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Marbury »

its in the configuration of Reaper.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

In the control surfaces section? Or is it configured as a midi device? Are you using the Klinke extension or an Icon-specific one? It's not one of the listed ones in my drop-down but I've never tried to set one up.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Marbury »

Its in both. I have it set as active in the midi list and the surface controller section in preferences. I am using the Drivenbymoss extension which used to work fine everytime I loaded Reaper.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Ok, bearing in mind that I don't have an Icon and I'm not sure exactly how you're configuring it, but does it need to be active in both places? I have my BCR set up in the control surfaces section but disabled as a midi device.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Marbury »

Ok, I just thought you would have to identify it in the midi section so it can be picked up in the control surface section. I will try that though and report back.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

It might need to exist in there, not sure, but it shouldn't need to be enabled.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Marbury »

Nope, disabling in the midi section has no effect. It still shows up in the control surface in preferences but is unresponsive. It seems intermittent as every so often, doing the same actions links it up fine. I then shut down Reaper, open again (same settings) and the Qcon is again left out in the cold unresponsive. So why would it work intermittently ? It's not logical.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Unfortunately we're now beyond my ken. Only thing I can suggest is asking on the Reaper forum. :(
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado