Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Post by AlasdairEaston »

Hi all. After getting this console emulation a few weeks ago in a "any plug in for $29.99 deal" I've been wanting to sit down and write a post here about how it's been a revelation for me.

Now I see it's part of the PlugInAlliance christmas sale (today and tomorrow) so I'll just write a quick word now so that others might get a chance to grab it if they feel like it. On their website it's on sale for $69.99 but if you use the code they've been mailing out to their mailing lists folks then it'll be $29.99. The code is XMAS20-CONSOLE. There will be VAT to add to that if you're in the EU though. Full price, whatever that means in this industry, is $299.

I've nothing to do with these guys by the way, I just bought it and was floored.

I trialled it, full of scepticism, but was immediately won over. I've always slightly scorned talk of mojo and magic when it comes to plugins, and I've also scoffed at the idea of channel strips, thinking "I've already got EQs and compressors, gates, and all that, I can choose whatever I want and make my own custom channel strip. I'm not falling for any of that marketing rubbish." But, I was totally naive and totally wrong. No more drowning in open plug-in windows. Now every channel has this console on it and it simply sounds great. Workflow: clean, simple, efficient. Sound: awesome.

In fact I now have the SSL 4000G and the Focusrite SC ones as well.

Anyway, there you go. My Dad's just arrived for Christmas (extended household - all within the Covid rules :-) ) so I need to go. I'll write something longer soon cos I'm interested what other people think about these channel strips and the concept in general.

In the meantime, see what you think.

Cheers,
Alasdair.
AlasdairEaston
Regular
Posts: 116 Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 pm Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Post by MOF »

Hi Alasdair, I’ve got the Focusrite console plugin and really like it for its eq particularly. It’s very clean, not characterful, I haven’t experimented with overdriving it yet though.
I can’t say that the TMT function makes a massive difference.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2259 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Post by muzines »

I prefer SSL channel strips to Neve ones in general.

What's the CPU load like on these things?
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by MOF »

What's the CPU load like on these things?

It’s not too bad. I have an iMac 27” 2017/8@ with 32GB RAM and SSD storage. I can have 20@ tracks each with its own Focusrite channel and quite a few of those channels are virtual instruments and there’s no sign of cpu overload.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by CS70 »

Well. I just spent ten times that amount in food for Christmas, I figured I could try a different console, so thanks!

I also discovered I had accumulated a few plugins from PA that I had never installed, so Xmas is early!

Now gotta find a mix where to try 'em out :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Martin Walker »

AlasdairEaston wrote:I've also scoffed at the idea of channel strips, thinking "I've already got EQs and compressors, gates, and all that, I can choose whatever I want and make my own custom channel strip. I'm not falling for any of that marketing rubbish." But, I was totally naive and totally wrong. No more drowning in open plug-in windows. Now every channel has this console on it and it simply sounds great. Workflow: clean, simple, efficient. Sound: awesome.

I'm glad the channel strip concept is working so well for you Alisdair. I can see the plus side of not 'drowning in open plug-in windows', and that your workflow becomes clean and simple as a result. This approach also appeals to those who have worked with comprehensive analogue desks in the past, as the whole process must seem more familiar. I've been temped by a few channel strips myself in the past, but never succumbed.

By way of contrast, I've ended up resisting the whole channel strip area because I only use plug-ins when I need to change a sound, and when I do, it probably only needs a little EQ, or a special effect. The only time I end up using the equivalent of a channel strip with three or four plug-ins in a row is probably when the sound was ill-chosen in the first place.

It's a good job we're all different ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Martin Walker »

MOF wrote:I can’t say that the TMT function makes a massive difference.

My head is still reeling on this 'Tolerance Modeling Technology' aspect.

I fully accept that tolerance in components means that individual channels of an analogue desk will exhibit slight variations in frequency response etc. I can even accept that this 'limitation' may result in an interesting addition of richness across many channels (think of the Maag EQ4 plug-in for instance, with its rippling frequency response even when set to 'flat').

However, when I see that the developers have applied for a patent on TMT my jaw still drops - yes, it's a novel twist, but worth a patent application?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170060527A1/en

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

I'm Mr. Grumpy today ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by AlasdairEaston »

MOF wrote:Hi Alasdair, I’ve got the Focusrite console plugin and really like it for its eq particularly. It’s very clean, not characterful, I haven’t experimented with overdriving it yet though.
I can’t say that the TMT function makes a massive difference.

Interesting to hear that about the Focusrite, MOF. I got the Neve one first, fell in love right away, then they had the deal still running, so I trialled and bought the bx_console SSL 4000 G. Also fell in love (ooh, awkward). Then on a seperate deal, I worked out I could get the Focusrite for 18 quid. The thing is I had a rationale for the Neve and for the SSL to justify having them both: I thought Neve if I want rich, open and kind of grand somehow; SSL if I want focussed, direct, slightly aggressive, even. I confess I didn't have any clear rationale for the Focusrite. But it was 18 quid for what should have been a 420 quid plugin (inc VAT), so I reckoned I could loosen my "rules" a wee bit. :thumbup: I really do like it, and it does offer some things the others don't (de-esser on every channel, eg.). I haven't really decided on its character yet, early days. Perhaps neutral is its thing, which would be fine by me - I've got two other characters available, and a huge part of the benefit I'm finding of these is workflow anyway.
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Post by MOF »

However, when I see that the developers have applied for a patent on TMT my jaw still drops - yes, it's a novel twist, but worth a patent application?

I guess it’s their USP and so they’ve got to protect it. I suppose some of it is to do with efficient coding for dsp use to stop cpu spikes.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by MOF »

Perhaps neutral is its thing

It was originally commissioned and specified by AIR Studios/Geoff Emerick to have a massive frequency response, headroom etc.
I also have the Focusrite twin channel pre-amp, so a no brainer to buy the rest of the mixer in digital form.
If I want more ‘character’ I’ll use other plugins with it, I own quite a few UAD plugins which I really like too.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by muzines »

Mostly to either prevent competitors from trying to implement similar features, or requiring competitors to license technology from them if it's a desirable feature.

it's not really about novelty, or clever tech, it's about commercial interest.

There are plenty of plugins that use various ways of implementing component tolerances/differences to result in subtle character differences...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by AlasdairEaston »

Martin Walker wrote:
MOF wrote:I can’t say that the TMT function makes a massive difference.

My head is still reeling on this 'Tolerance Modeling Technology' aspect.

I fully accept that tolerance in components means that individual channels of an analogue desk will exhibit slight variations in frequency response etc. I can even accept that this 'limitation' may result in an interesting addition of richness across many channels (think of the Maag EQ4 plug-in for instance, with its rippling frequency response even when set to 'flat').

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170060527A1/en

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

I'm Mr. Grumpy today ;)

Martin

:) That would have been my default position too, Martin. I read stuff like that in adverts and websites everyday and think, yeah, yeah, whatever. So I did trial it with a healthy dose of cynicism. I can see the point they're making with TMT, and it does appeal to my intuition (which of course it's, in part, designed to) but a part of me still resists the marketing. I can't deny I love the results though.
AlasdairEaston
Regular