Which of these headphones? Decision paralysis looms.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Useful honesty?

HD 600
71%
HD 650
7%
HD 660 S
No votes
SRH1840
21%

Total votes: 14

Re: Which of these headphones? Decision paralysis looms.

Post by Smellthevalve »

My vote might not count as much as I have only tried the hd600s out of that list, didn't want to spend any more money though
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster
Posts: 714 Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey, UK

Post by BWC »

forumuser840717 wrote: ...but could that be because there isn't an answer to the question you asked?

I think it's more that you're overthinking the question. I disagree that honesty is "hugely subjective." I think its subjectivity is more subtle. As you said, all four of these could be (and have been) described as honest. Of course, not everyone will have the same opinion about this, that's the point of polling, which I do find useful, even if you don't. So, if you walked in to a room, and these four, and only these four, headphones were available to use, and you wanted the most honest listen you could get, which pair would you pick up? Don't think about it. Just see the scenario in your mind, and tell me which pair you picked up.

I'm with you and The Elf on Sonarworks and the like. On paper, it certainly seems like just the thing, but I remain skeptical about its practical application. I would likely only use such things as, like beej65 said, just another way to check, and only if I picked them up as part of a bundle with something more worthy of my dollars. I do enjoy reading about the latest developments in this area though. If nothing else, the research they're doing, and the data they're collecting, is valuable.

forumuser840717 wrote: ...not everyone is happy buying secondhand...

Nothing against it in general, just in this case, to be clear.

Burn-in time is a very contentious subject. Personally, I think it's because, as with many contentious subjects, there's no simple, universal 'yes or no' answer, it depends. I have some experience in the world of electronics manufacturing, and have performed, and participated in the design of, burn-in testing (as a part of the manufacturing process) many times. It's not just about stress testing (the tests that precede burn-in are far more stressful), some circuits (and certainly electromechanical devices) do behave differently after a good burn-in, even when the reason why is not apparent, even to folks who are far smarter than I am. I seem to remember a good one from the Q & A archives answered by Hugh Robjohns. ...let me see...ah, here it is: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-gear-should-be-burnt-use

forumuser840717 wrote: ...At which point, it's time to sit down and try them...

...would if I could...

I do appreciate your thoughts and your time, and I'm not judging anyone for the occasional tupo, er, typo.

Thanks,
BWC
Regular
Posts: 478 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

To be honest, the sound produced by all four of your shortlist is absolutely fine and all make the grade as professional quality, accurate headphones. They will each have their own small characteristics but they are largely negligible in the grand scheme of assessing music and can be quickly learned and accepted/appreciated anyway.

Probably of greater significance are the physical attributes -- weight, pressure on or over the ears, stability when moving the head, cable type and noise conduction -- and that type of thing. The three Sennheisers are broadly similar in their design, although there are some variations as have been mentioned above.

As you're certain you can't try before you buy, I think your only option is to go with your gut instinct and pick the ones that appeal the most. They are all capable of a decent sound.

In answer to your question as to which I'd pick up, it would be the 600 or the 650. I have a slightly preference for the 600, but they are so similar as to not matter as an analytical tool. I've not used the other Senny, and while I liked the sound of the Shure's I found them less comfortable on my planet-sized head than the Sennheisers.

But my personal 'phones brand of choice is the AKG range, and I routinely use K702s (although I also have and use Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 pairs, and for location use I work with Senny HD25s and Sony MDR7509s.

The AKG range is probably considered less neutral than the Sennys and the Shure, but I prefer what they do and am very familiar with their foibles. (And they definitely do benefit a short burn-in whereas the Senny's don't). The other brand well worth considering is the Beyer, of course, which I've always found extremely comfortable, too.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I’ll answer your question first - HD 650 - why? Nothing to do with honesty, it’s just that I’ve owned a pair in the past, and haven’t the others, so I’d stand a better chance of interpreting their sound, if I didn’t have my own headphones with me (which I would).

I’m with 840717 on this one. The reason you settle on a particular headphone model is not solely because of its 'honesty' - assuming you mean flat frequency response and transient performance. Take a look at this frequency response plot:

For most of the frequency range, the above headphones respond in a very similar way, certainly enough to give you all the information you need. As a matter of interest the DT880 is green, HD600 red and HD650 blue.

Once the headphone is delivering enough information for you to make mixing decisions (and most of the high monitoring headphones do), it’s very much down to personal preference in terms of whether you like its (more than likely subtle) sonic character, and just as important is the degree of comfort over long sessions. No forum can answer these last two points - you really do have to try them.

For what it’s worth, I use Beyer DT880s. I find they’re very comfortable for long sessions on my somewhat large head (HD650s were a real squeezer) and the HF lift helps my ageing ears.

This site is useful if you don’t already know about it: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by BWC »

Thanks for your answers, and thoughts, Hugh and Bob. I fully understand the other factors to be considered. I asked specifically about honesty, because that's the question to which, after all of my research, I still hadn't found a satisfactory answer. It now seems clear that it's because it's really too close to call, and all four are honest enough. There does seem to be a preference for the HD600, but when you factor in 'tried and true' vs. 'new and only tried by a few', it's slight. Still, as I mentioned earlier, I was pretty well settled on the HD600 at one point, so...

While there's certainly no substitute for direct experience, I can get a pretty good sense of what will and won't be physically comfortable for me from pictures, reviews, and knowledge of my own anatomy. This, and pretty much all of the other factors everyone has suggested I consider, are the things that I considered in narrowing it down to these four. The Sennheisers do look more comfortable to me than the Shure, though only slightly.

I'm feeling closer to a decision, so, thanks!
BWC
Regular
BWC

Post by forumuser840717 »

BWC wrote:Of course, not everyone will have the same opinion about this, that's the point of polling, which I do find useful, even if you don't.

I see the point of polling in certain circumstances. I just don't believe that it's of any use in opinion based polls about things which can only be decided by personal experience; that's just canvassing opinions.

BWC wrote:So, if you walked in to a room, and these four, and only these four, headphones were available to use, and you wanted the most honest listen you could get, which pair would you pick up? Don't think about it. Just see the scenario in your mind, and tell me which pair you picked up.

It depends.

If I walked into the room to find a job to be done and a choice of those four headphones sitting on a table I'd probably go with the HD600 as they're the ones I know best. Closely followed by the HD650, then the Shures. HD660S last as I don't know them.

If I walked into the room to find a comfy chair, a nice pot of tea, a good book and those headphones, I'd probably try the HD660S (or at least try them on to see whether they were comfortable). After a while I might compare them to the HD600 to see whether my first impressions of the HD660S were accurate in comparison to a known reference. If the HD660S were a noticable improvement over the other HDs then I might stick with them. Or, more likely, switch to the Shures as I find them more comfortable than the Sennheisers for relaxed listening (not so much if I'm working as they're a bit loose/wobbly on my head) and they sound fine.

However, if I walked in to find a job to be done, those four headphones, with three pairs containing colleagues using them and only one spare pair, then I'd use the spare pair and not worry about it. The only issue might be if (as is likely since nobody I know has used them so would be unlikely to pick them first) the spares were the HD660S then, after I'd got work underway and had a balance to compare, I might ask to borrow the HD600 for a few minutes just to see how the unknown cans stack up against a known reference. Once I'd heard what the new cans are doing differently from what I know and, assuming that they're not somehow very different in weird ways that make them too hard to work on, I'd carry on with the HD660S. Other than that, I wouldn't care and could get on with any of the four pairs.

There again, if I were going to work, I'd have at least two pairs of my preferred headphones with me so it wouldn't be an issue :p (Two pairs, after an incident on a live broadcast from a cathedral about twelve years ago, where I moved away from the mixer and snagged the headphone cable with my foot, dragging the headphones off the mixer and onto the stone floor. After which I had to do the rest of a live broadcast monitoring in mono, in one ear! Thankfully I'd already done the panning and often/usually balance mixes in mono anyway but the one-eared bit made is a bit more interesting!)

BWC wrote:Burn-in time is a very contentious subject. Personally, I think it's because, as with many contentious subjects, there's no simple, universal 'yes or no' answer, it depends.

Like choosing headphones then :p

Like some others here, I use several different pairs of headphones for different things: AKG K701/702 for day to day use (they're the ones of which I carry multiple pairs), Beyer DT1350 closed back for when I need a bit more isolation (also have HD25 and MDR7509 but moved to the Beyers as they're much more comfortable than the HD25s and are less coloured than either the HD25s or MDR7509s), Etymotic Research ER4SR and Shure KSE1500 in ears for high isolation mixing and mobile listening, JHA Layla in ears as personal monitors when playing (though they're plenty good enough to mix on too). And for 'Sunday best' use, Stax SR007 Omega II and SR009.

Also have AKG K240DF, Sennheiser HD580, HD600, HD650 and, mostly for comms use (though the DT300 series are just about useable for rough mixes) Beyer DT109, DT300 & DT390 and Canford Audio/TecPro DMH210, DMH220. And there are some others that I've owned but sold on as I've changed to something new or upgraded.

Indecisive? Me? :beamup:
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Mixedup »

It's not what you want to hear, I know, but you absolutely need to try them because the fit to your head and ears is so critical to their performance. The position of each driver relative to your ear is important and so too is the seal made around your ears. So loose fitting phones that slide around as you move your head are no use, no matter how good the specs or other people's perception. For me, the Sennheisers and Shure seem to fit well. But the AKGs that are much loved by others here are no good to me.

Also, I think you need to define 'honesty'. Eg. Does that mean a flat frequency response? Or a response more like speakers in a room? Particularly good separation at some part of the spectrum (eg for speech)? Does it mean low distortion? You can 'correct' (or adjust) frequency response with software but you can't remove distortion...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by BWC »

Mixedup wrote: Also, I think you need to define 'honesty'.

The ambiguity was deliberate; I'd already read the specs, seen the graphs, etc.

Mixedup wrote: It's not what you want to hear, I know, but...

It's not that I don't want to hear it, it's that I've heard it, I've agreed with it, I've been clear that I don't have a choice...asked and answered...moving on.

Some of you may be surprised, but I've actually gotten what I needed here, so thanks all. I've decided to go with the HD600. Can you guess what happened next? That's right, they went out of stock, argh. I'll have to wait another week for the next batch to come in, at least they'll be fresh.

Hopefully the next recommendation, I'll soon be looking for, will be an easier one. I think it will be, we'll see.

Thanks,
BWC
Regular
BWC

Post by Kwackman »

BWC wrote: I'll have to wait another week for the next batch to come in, at least they'll be fresh.,

Just wait, in a few months there'll be a heated debate about how the pre May21 HD600s were much better than the new ones :bouncy:

Enjoy your new toy when they arrive!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by BWC »

Yep, I fully expect that!

Thanks,
BWC
Regular
BWC

Post by James Perrett »

BWC wrote: Some of you may be surprised, but I've actually gotten what I needed here, so thanks all. I've decided to go with the HD600. Can you guess what happened next? That's right, they went out of stock, argh. I'll have to wait another week for the next batch to come in, at least they'll be fresh.

They were in short supply when I bought mine a couple of months ago. Interestingly, Bax-Shop have the HD650's in stock for little more than the 600's.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The OP is in America.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...