HEDD 20 Mk2 - Are they worth the money ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: HEDD 20 Mk2 - Are they worth the money ?

Post by Marbury »

Looks like I will stick with the absolute 2s in a room, and monitors I know well. For the end mix I will use the Shure headphones.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

It's the boring option but probably makes sense.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Marbury »

For now at least unless someone would take a commission on designing/treating my room :D
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Marbury wrote:For now at least unless someone would take a commission on designing/treating my room :D

Dare I mention that most online acoustic treatment manufacturers will happily provide free recommendations based on your room dimensions and a quick sketch of where you intend to place your gear?

You've got nothing to lose by asking advice from the professionals! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Martin Walker »

RichardT wrote:Room correction software can only get you so far - actually not that far at all! Although it will adjust the frequency balance, it won’t affect how long your room will resonate. This is what causes most of the blurring at lower frequencies. It also won’t do anything to deal with reflected sound.

In my experience, once you've got sufficient acoustic treatment to get your room frequency response to have peaks and troughs no bigger than 6dB from the baseline, room correction software can make a significant improvement to the final result.

However, room correction software can never totally correct for an untreated room, so it's an enhancement rather than cure-all.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Mike Stranks »

Martin Walker wrote:
Marbury wrote:For now at least unless someone would take a commission on designing/treating my room :D

Dare I mention that most online acoustic treatment manufacturers will happily provide free recommendations based on your room dimensions and a quick sketch of where you intend to place your gear?

You've got nothing to lose by asking advice from the professionals! :thumbup:

Martin

I mentioned this in an earlier post... I even included a URL link that took you straight to a manufacturer's "We can help you" page.

You can take a horse to water... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Martin Walker wrote:
RichardT wrote:Room correction software can only get you so far - actually not that far at all! Although it will adjust the frequency balance, it won’t affect how long your room will resonate. This is what causes most of the blurring at lower frequencies. It also won’t do anything to deal with reflected sound.

In my experience, once you've got sufficient acoustic treatment to get your room frequency response to have peaks and troughs no bigger than 6dB from the baseline, room correction software can make a significant improvement to the final result.

However, room correction software can never totally correct for an untreated room, so it's an enhancement rather than cure-all.

Martin

Yes I agree!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Sam Spoons »

Another +1 for "TREAT THE ROOM"... Been their bought the tee shirt, the difference is night and day :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Marbury »

But again, my room does not have any way of accommodating big sound traps anywhere, and I don't have the luxury of an extra room to play with. I think egg boxes are the way to go, and I read in Mike Oldfield's biography that it worked for his his first home studio in Hergest Ridge and we all know what a perfectionist with production he was.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Marbury wrote:But again, my room does not have any way of accommodating big sound traps anywhere, and I don't have the luxury of an extra room to play with. I think egg boxes are the way to go, and I read in Mike Oldfield's biography that it worked for his his first home studio in Hergest Ridge and we all know what a perfectionist with production he was.

Fair enough...

In that case, the answer to your original question is, "No", but in your situation neither are any monitors over about £500 for the pair. You simply won't reap their benefits.

You don't need "big sound traps". You want an effective form of acoustic control; the two are not synonymous.

As a final forlorn attempt... https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/diy-acoustic-treatment-15-minute-challenge
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Egg boxes - I think Marbury may be gently trolling us. ;)
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland