HEDD 20 Mk2 - Are they worth the money ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: HEDD 20 Mk2 - Are they worth the money ?

Post by Marbury »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Luke W wrote:...for the same reason that I wouldnt use rockwool panels to carry food around. :D

Oh... so shouldn't I be doing that then? :shocked:

It's just that I had some left over and I didn't want to pay 10p for the bags... :lol:

Ok, you've all had your fun with me. :roll: But seriously, I appreciate all the help and advise and will take on board the home made solution as I like a bit of DIY and would rather spend as much as I can on the monitors. How big to make the paneling a small room is uncertain but perhaps a large one on the ceiling, and two small on each wall would probably do the trick.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Post by Luke W »

Marbury wrote: Ok, you've all had your fun with me. :roll: But seriously, I appreciate all the help and advise and will take on board the home made solution as I like a bit of DIY and would rather spend as much as I can on the monitors. How big to make the paneling a small room is uncertain but perhaps a large one on the ceiling, and two small on each wall would probably do the trick.

It's certainly worth it if you don't mind the work. You've got the right approach, even just three panels in the positions you mention will make a big difference. Acoustics is an incredibly complex subject but just by doing the basics you can usually get a decent result rather quickly, it's getting from "good enough" to "perfect' that gets a lot more involved.

In terms of size, if you can try to plan for anything that the size of your chosen filling (Rockwool or whatever) divides equally into then you'll be getting the most for your money. Apologies if that sounds rather obvious...

Sam, Drew and myself have all got recent(ish) threads in the DIY section showing how we've built panels for our rooms, and there have been others in the past as well.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

As is very evident from all of the published Studio SOS articles, a small amount of very basic acoustic treatment makes a HUGE difference to the perceived sound quality in the room, even with modest speakers.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Sam Spoons »

Just to reinforce the comments above, the first three or four panels at the mirror points (side walls, ceiling and rear wall if it's close) will get you 70% of the way there.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Marbury »

The HEDD Mk 2 is the one I think I will go for, and later get the treatment sorted. I will add that my room is about 11 x 9 ft.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As is very evident from all of the published Studio SOS articles, a small amount of very basic acoustic treatment makes a HUGE difference to the perceived sound quality in the room, even with modest speakers.

I can also echo this from personal experience. For the last 25 years+ I've worked on 'home studio' music in a variety of environments and steadily built my equipment over that time. In the last 3 years or so I've visited various people with treated home-based environments, a number of whom are forum regulars, and the difference in the listening experience was borderline unbelievable to me.

It was in no small part this realisation which kicked off my big home studio project that I'm now in the midst of!
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Wed May 26, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Marbury wrote:The HEDD Mk 2 is the one I think I will go for, and later get the treatment sorted. I will add that my room is about 11 x 9 ft.

...And the circle is complete: we return to page 1 of 4! :lol:
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by The Korff »

If you can wait a month or two, monitor guru Phil Ward has just received some of the HEDD MkII series monitors, and we'll be publishing the review soon. (We'd hoped to get them in advance of their official announcement but shipping was delayed by Brexit.)

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2272 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by Marbury »

The Korff wrote:If you can wait a month or two, monitor guru Phil Ward has just received some of the HEDD MkII series monitors, and we'll be publishing the review soon. (We'd hoped to get them in advance of their official announcement but shipping was delayed by Brexit.)

Cheers,

Chris

Ok, thanks for that.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by atswim2birds »

This is kinda off topic but here goes...

Recently bought a pair of Hedds Sys20 MK2 and have fallen seriously in love with the sound. (I've never tried 310's.)

But after week I have serious issues with the mode-switching function, the auto standby. The monitors seems to have a mind of their own about this, sometimes they go to sleep after 1/2 an hour of silence as expected, sometimes one of them will stay awake and the other goes to sleep, I also get loud pops out of the L channel when it goes into standby but not out of the R channel.

I'm alarmed and a bit wary. Naturally I've started a discussion with Support at Hedd. We'll see. In the meantime I'm wondering if the MK1's were super reliable, plagued with any such issues? Is the upgraded system any real improvement. The move to a digital system seems a big price to pay for having a Linearizer on board?

Does anyone agree or totally differ?

Interesting to see the 310's so highly recommended by Hugh R.
atswim2birds
New here

Post by akaspeedy505 »

I’ve the mk2’s and don’t think there is an auto standby mode, never did it on mine and nothing in the manual about it unless I missed it…!??
Last edited by akaspeedy505 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akaspeedy505
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

akaspeedy505 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:35 pm I’ve the mk2’s and don’t think there is an auto standby mode, never did it on mine and nothing in the manual about it unless I missed it…!??

Time to visit Specsavers! :lol::geek:
Hedd 20-2.jpg
"The monitors automatically jump into stand-by after 30 minutes. They wake back up when audio is played."
Hugh Robjohns

Post by akaspeedy505 »

I don’t have the required permissions to view the image lmao, but I’m on the manual now and still can’t see it…..lol

And I do wear glasses hehe
akaspeedy505
New here

Post by akaspeedy505 »

Lmao, how the hell did I miss that, just found it lol
akaspeedy505
New here

Post by akaspeedy505 »

May need to consider bi-focals lol
akaspeedy505
New here

Post by Drew Stephenson »

akaspeedy505 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 pm May need to consider bi-focals lol

It comes to us all in time. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

atswim2birds wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:53 pmThe monitors seems to have a mind of their own about this, sometimes they go to sleep after 1/2 an hour of silence as expected, sometimes one of them will stay awake and the other goes to sleep, I also get loud pops out of the L channel when it goes into standby but not out of the R channel.

Loud pops from only one speaker suggests a fault in that speaker.

Staying 'awake could also be a fault (is it the same speaker that pops?)... but more usually is because of low level noise on the input cable, often occasional interference clicks, for example.

Or it could be that the input signal detection threshold is set lower (sometimes an internal adjuster) and its therefore more sensitive to interference.

As an experiment, it would be worth disconnecting the input cables to the speakers to see if they then enter standby at roughly the same time (a minute or two between their switch off times is acceptible). That might indicate if the issue is incoming noise on the cables...

Old school traditional analogue, but superbly engineered and outstanding value for money IMHO.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by mattatec »

I just auditioned these boxes against each other at KMR Audio in London.

They have a very decent listening room and I fully recommend these guys if you're looking to buy new monitors. They give a top notch service.

I spent 3 hours in this process to decide my next speaker, I listened to everything from folk music to edm and my findings are such.

The KH310 is probably the best resolving in the bass end and is really impressive as a closed boxed speaker. It's also very pure in mids to top and sounds much like my Sennheiser HD650 which I love.

The Hedd 20 Mk2 are tighter and more lazer focused. They don't have the fun bottom end that the 310's have.

With pop/folk music I found the the KH310 performed excellent and for dance music, the bottom end was amazing.
The Hedds performed very well in pop and folk with voicing slightly more forward.

In dance music I felt the bottom end was tight and that meant more accuracy was given to the mid range.

I noticed with the KH310 dance music/heavy bass music the bottom end slightly overwhelmed the low mids a bit compared to the Hedds, this could also be room dependent.

I've asked KMR to send me the HEDD 20 for review in my studio.
They are both amazing speakers and I'm coming from Adam monitors so that may also skew my opinion.

I'm looking forward to testing the HEDDs next week in my room.
mattatec

Post by Sam_Sawling »

atswim2birds wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:53 pm This is kinda off topic but here goes...

Recently bought a pair of Hedds Sys20 MK2 and have fallen seriously in love with the sound. (I've never tried 310's.)

But after week I have serious issues with the mode-switching function, the auto standby. The monitors seems to have a mind of their own about this, sometimes they go to sleep after 1/2 an hour of silence as expected, sometimes one of them will stay awake and the other goes to sleep, I also get loud pops out of the L channel when it goes into standby but not out of the R channel.

I'm alarmed and a bit wary. Naturally I've started a discussion with Support at Hedd. We'll see. In the meantime I'm wondering if the MK1's were super reliable, plagued with any such issues? Is the upgraded system any real improvement. The move to a digital system seems a big price to pay for having a Linearizer on board?

Does anyone agree or totally differ?

I've arrived here after googling HEDD mk2 failures with these relatively new monitors.
My 2nd HEDD 05 mk2 has just failed 1 month after the first one, luckily i'm just within warranty but totally nervous now about the future of these things.
The first one suddenly started emitting loud white noise type sound then just died. Recieved a replacement maybe a month ago and so far so good, it comes out of sleep much quicker and more reliably than the previous one and no loud clicks when turned on.
The second one made a loud click when turned on and today has died, green light is lit but no sound.
Previously Seb at HEDD said it must have been a DSP hardware failure.
Don't have any other problems in my studio with power or RF so i'm sort of glad the 2nd monitor has died as it's obviously a fault with the HEDD's.
I love the sound of them but this is not acceptable.

Anyone else have similar experience or did i just get a bad batch ?
Sam_Sawling

Post by Ssnakeingrass »

I've had a pair of HEDD 07 Mk2 for about a year now. Love the sound, there very detailed speakers and I acutally love used them closed ported. Both speakers on seperate occasions have died on me now. Green lights turn on so not a power problem, but the speakers make no sound. Another one is sitting in the factory in Germany as we speak. It's pretty concerning after a year as what happens when my warrenty runs out. Speakers should last 10-20 years easily with little to no problems. The speakers are fantastic and i'm not sure how widespread these problems are but for a £1500 set its frustrating to say the least.
Ssnakeingrass