Leslie and Rotary

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Leslie and Rotary

Post by mountain lion »

Hi !
Is Leslie Effect and Rotary Effect the same thing?

Thank you
mountain lion
Regular

Re: Leslie and Rotary

Post by Martin Walker »

Essentially, yes.

Leslie generally refers to the hardware, which has spinning loudspeakers, while rotary effect is the generic term more often used by plug-ins or stomp boxes that aim to emulate the hardware.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Sun May 16, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by mountain lion »

I see, thank you

I was looking into ni organs.
They look pretty nice.
mountain lion
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

mountain lion wrote:Hi !
Is Leslie Effect and Rotary Effect the same thing?

To all intents and purposes, yes.

The 'rotary effect' refers to a system originally created by placing rotating baffles or horns in front of loudspeakers to 'throw' sound around the room. This introduces a complex combination of vibrato and tremolo to the source sounds. Originally used on organs, but later became popular on guitars, electric pianos, and even vocals.

There are normally two or three speeds of operation: (off), slow (chorale) and fast (tremolo), but the way the speed changes -- ramps up and down between chorale and tremlo -- is critical to the effect and the high and low frequencies typically change rates differently.

Leslie is the best known maker of physical rotary speakers, and strongly associated with Hammond organs, but there were other brands all with variations on the theme, including Sharma, Elka, Roland, Yamaha and others.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38970 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

And there are numerous variations on rotating speaker cabinets, some with a single speaker, some with bass speaker and treble horns, some cabinets where bass and treble speakers/horns both rotate, and some where only the bass or treble speaker/horn rotates.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Folderol »

Also because of the way the real thing throws sound around, the room it's in can make a lot of difference to what you hear, and why a recording never seems to sound quite right.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18177 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Luke W »

I've always quite fancied building a rotary cabinet. I have absolutely no need for one, but it'd be a fun project.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK