Disappearing synth pad in mono - any tips?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Disappearing synth pad in mono - any tips?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

MarkOne wrote:On the left channel you cut every even band and on the right channel you cut every odd band, and then make up the overall gain.

Yes, this can work with a mono or not-too-wide stereo signal, but all those interacting filters can affect the sound quality too. It's a variation on a standard fake-stereo technique.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39030 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Kwackman »

There’s a plug-in that makes the fake widening process very easy. I’m not at my computer, but I think it’s called “Wider” and is made by Infected Mushroom and I believe it is free.

Edit.. back at computer now..
Here's a link, and it is still a free plug-in!
https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3222 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Martin Walker »

Spot on Kwackman!

According to Infected Mushroom:
"Thanks to Wider’s one-of-a-kind all pass and comb filtering algorithm, a natural sounding stereo image is created from a mono channel, without compromising the phase between the sides! Instead, Wider cancels itself out when summed to mono, so the original signal is left intact.

Wider can be used to increase the stereo image of any mono signal up to 200% of full stereo for an extra wide, exaggerated effect."

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20642 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Murray B »

Martin Walker wrote:Spot on Kwackman!

According to Infected Mushroom:
"Thanks to Wider’s one-of-a-kind all pass and comb filtering algorithm, a natural sounding stereo image is created from a mono channel, without compromising the phase between the sides! Instead, Wider cancels itself out when summed to mono, so the original signal is left intact.

Wider can be used to increase the stereo image of any mono signal up to 200% of full stereo for an extra wide, exaggerated effect."

Martin

Definitely going to investigate this - sounds like just the ticket :clap: Thank you
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by Martin Walker »

Murray B wrote:Definitely going to investigate this - sounds like just the ticket :clap: Thank you

Glad Kwackman and I could help! :thumbup:

Just be aware that it's intended for turn MONO sources into stereo ones, and not primarily to make already stereo sources wider - I downloaded it as a freebie and tried it out, but it's rare that I'd want to turn mono into stereo (my mono sources tend to either get mono or stereo effects on them, or just a little EQ and reverb, which places them in the stereo picture.

When I want to make something wider in the mix, it's invariably a stereo sound that I want to get out to the edges of the stereo image, beyond everything else, for dramatic effect. Apart from this special case, most of the time I'm far more likely to REDUCE the stereo width of a stereo sound so it doesn't take up so much real estate in the mix.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20642 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK