Need advice on Panning.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Need advice on Panning.

Post by Rokas108 »

Hello

I have a track which has drums, bass, cello and violin. I panned the bass and drums mainly in the middle as usual. But I am having trouble in deciding where should i pan the violin and the cello. The violin is playing staccato 8ths notes. The cello is playing staccato 4ths notes which is accenting the violin melody. This track will also have a vocal which will be panned in the middle. I am considering panning the violin left maybe 50% percent and do the cello 50% to the other side. Would this be a good approach ? Or will this create an unbalanced mix because the violin is playing notes an octave higher than the cello ? Should I record another cello playing the same thing and pan it while keeping the violin in the middle ?
Rokas108
Poster

Re: Need advice on Panning.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I think with that line up I'd pan the violin hard left and the cello hard right. There's more than enough stuff hogging the centre. Go for some dramatic ping pong stereo effects! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38985 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Rokas108 »

Awesome, thanks for the advice, was thinking to do something like that but i though since both parts are different that might make wired experience. I only used to pan doubled sounds before so this is going to be a first :D
Rokas108
Poster

Post by RichardT »

That would work. Alternatively put the violin and cello close to one another on the left side and put something else on the right to balance them.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4179 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Martin Walker »

And if you're worried that hard left and hard right will sound too extreme (especially for headphone listeners) add some reverb to each that is heard largely on the opposite side.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by robin746 »

Every case is different, so it's impossible to offer advice without hearing the music.

Just have fun experimenting with different options, and in this way accumulate experience.
robin746
Poster
Posts: 38 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 am Location: Ireland
website | blog | soundcloud | label