Vintage Phase Linear Amplifier Upgrade

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Moderator: Moderators

Vintage Phase Linear Amplifier Upgrade

Post by Old Phase »

Almost everyone knows the legacy of Phase Linear 400 and 700 Watt amplifiers. Some big name acts used them, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith to name two. These amps were introduced in the early 1970's and were the loudest, cleanest sound reinforcement amps ever created.

After a few years these amplifiers developed a nasty habit of sending the power supply rail voltages (80VDC or 100VDC) directly to the speakers. Before you could jump, your expensive monitor or stage speakers were toast. The names "Blaze Linear" and "Flame Linear" were used back in the day. Phase Linear tried to fix the problem, but never really found the source of the tendency for the amplifier to unexpectedly "latch up".

Fast forward to today, and a talented engineer at White Oak Audio Design http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/estore.aspx
began using the SPICE Simulator to diagnose and predict solutions to the problem. One has to wonder-- What if Bob Carver at Phase Linear had the SPICE Simulator? In any case, the problem has been resolved with a newly designed double-sided White Oak Audio Phase Linear Control Board and the newest and best electronic components available today such as MUSE and Wima capacitors, Xicon 1% resistors, and regulated power devices.

The result is not only a robust and reliable Phase Linear amplifier, the sound has been improved dramatically. If you have an old, dead, broken, or just dusty Phase Linear 400 or 700 amplifier; it can be rebuilt to better than new. In fact, these amps typically produce 600 or 1000 Watts and rival the sound of any other amplifier currently available. Many are in use as home audio amplifiers, they are that good.

Our goal is to restore every Phase Linear 400 and 700 amplifier. Contact me and I will give you the information you need to bring back the smile you had on your face the first time you heard these amplifiers. Have an old Phase Linear 400 or 700 amplifier that you don't want? I'll take it and bring it back to life for someone who needs a forever amplifier. Thanks!
Old Phase

Re: Vintage Phase Linear Amplifier Upgrade

Post by bscote »

Hi, I have Phase Linear 300 II, 400 II, and 700 II amplifiers that I would like to upgrade and improve. Do you have information for doing the upgrades myself? Also, if there are improvements made, do I really need the speaker protection offered by White Oak and others?
Thank you for your time, Bradley Scott Erwin
bscote

Re: Vintage Phase Linear Amplifier Upgrade

Post by Wonks »

Old Phase hasn't been back here since making that post, so I doubt you'll get a reply.

If you follow the link in the middle of the post you'll see that White Oak supply parts for the upgrades, they don't do any upgrades themselves, though they have got a few recommended people who can do the work if you wish.

I'd email them at their 'info' email address to discuss your needs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17042 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.