Is there really any point making music to sell anymore ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is there really any point making music to sell anymore ?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Ah, ok, i was misreading that.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by wearashirt »

Great question, and a very important one.

I wonder if others here have read "Rockonomics" by Alan Kreuger (1960-2019). Kreuger was an outsider to music and took an interest in analyzing it with his economics lens, himself chiseled in the national economics of the US.

In the book, he used several sources of data to illustrate the un-straightforward way that the music economy phenomenally operates. He has posited them into models described as Big Winners, Luck, political influence, black markets and piracy, among other ideas.

Ultimately, Kreuger discovered that music exists in many price points from super expensive to practically free, and the fact that musicians derive equal pleasure from their work inasmuch as they want to make money off of it - all of which affect its economics and being a commodity. The book has anecdotes on the legal and financial woes of global superstars such as Sting and Paul Mccartney.

The thesis of the book is just as dumbfounded as we all are about the music landscape, and Kreuger concludes by citing that music itself is a marker of social life and is deeply intertwined in feelings of peace, unity, and attainment of a utopian vision we all have as we trudge through life's miseries and injustice. With that, music is forever.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 122 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines

Post by wearashirt »

One thing about the music landscape that stands out for me is that while record labels are consolidating and being run more like a ledger rather than a creative center, the latter creativity has transitioned to music tech and instrument companies.

The number of products and companies involved in audio interfaces, plug-in development, electric and acoustic instruments, microphone companies have all expanded.

One product is at least $100. The other product is The Dream.

The dream of making it successful in music. This market has become so mature, that it has tapered off into an expensive hobby just like 4x4 off-roaders, gun and archery enthusiasts, or SCUBA diving. I'm surprised that the backing-track market has expanded the way it has, and I feel so counter-entrepreneurial for not taking an interest in it.

And so, demand for music - in whatever shape it may be - has shifted so dramatically. Maybe the industry deserves it? Sex, drugs and alcohol isn't really much in the culinary arts - and running a food business is just as rewarding in 1970 as it is today. I guess the music industry had it coming for all its "sins".
wearashirt
Regular

Post by wearashirt »

Came around this forum topic looking for anything to read, as I have 6 major tracks for release independently.

My business plan for it goes like this:

Release versions for digital streaming. Withhold a Bandcamp version that will contain 1 extra layer of instrumentation as well as the backing vocals.

I plan to sell both. Digital streaming for notoriety , and Bandcamp version for higher musical fidelity and extra harmonious parts.

I find that committing to selling music affects the way I arrange, record, and envision each track. I hope this can become a upward trend for popular music, 2021 going forward.
wearashirt
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

If you’re a successful, popular musician, you need to make money, it’s not an option, you’re paid to sit at home all day and write the stuff, you don’t work in Tesco’s and treat it like a hobby.
That’s the problem nowadays, we need the big advances, the record company machine, thats where the internet is a massive failure, some of us aren’t web designers, PR people, accountants, or promotors, we don’t want to be, also, we don’t have the connections, or move within the music business network, we need the guys with the big cigars, whether we like it or not. They make the all important circuit, they "know" they can make money out of us, and in return, we get paid to sit at home being inspired.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Arpangel wrote:If you’re a successful, popular musician, you need to make money, it’s not an option, you’re paid to sit at home all day and write the stuff, you don’t work in Tesco’s and treat it like a hobby.
That’s the problem nowadays, we need the big advances, the record company machine, thats where the internet is a massive failure, some of us aren’t web designers, PR people, accountants, or promotors, we don’t want to be, also, we don’t have the connections, or move within the music business network, we need the guys with the big cigars, whether we like it or not. They make the all important circuit, they "know" they can make money out of us, and in return, we get paid to sit at home being inspired.

Ah - but they tend to interfere with the process of sitting at home being inspired!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by DarthPaul »

wearashirt wrote:Came around this forum topic looking for anything to read, as I have 6 major tracks for release independently.

My business plan for it goes like this:

Release versions for digital streaming. Withhold a Bandcamp version that will contain 1 extra layer of instrumentation as well as the backing vocals.

I plan to sell both. Digital streaming for notoriety , and Bandcamp version for higher musical fidelity and extra harmonious parts.

I find that committing to selling music affects the way I arrange, record, and envision each track. I hope this can become a upward trend for popular music, 2021 going forward.

Good luck with your releases, wearashirt, please let us know how well it works for you.
DarthPaul
Poster

Post by N i g e l »

SecretSam wrote:Trying to think of current artists that impress me and weren't around 20 years ago ...
Any suggestions?

David Guetta ?

just sold back catalogue for £72m
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Drew Stephenson »

RichardT wrote:
Arpangel wrote:If you’re a successful, popular musician, you need to make money, it’s not an option, you’re paid to sit at home all day and write the stuff, you don’t work in Tesco’s and treat it like a hobby.

Ah - but they tend to interfere with the process of sitting at home being inspired!

They do still exist of course, but they have become increasingly risk-averse during all the transformation to a digital economy. As a result they only tend to write those big advances to acts that have already established a following and reputation.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Marbury »

You get some fortunate artists like Peter Gabriel and Brian Eno who have one foot in the "Arty" camp and manage to sell in the popular music field, without compromising too much.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Post by Terrible.dee »

If you need to ask that question?

DEFINITLY not.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by The Red Bladder »

No! No! No! No! No!

You guys just ain't getting it!

It's show business. That is two words and not one. You have to master both disciplines - the show and the business. No show, no business. No business, no show.

I see bands spending silly money on guitars and keyboards and stupidly expensive drum kits and then ask if they have got £1,000 for a tiny lighting rig. And even those that have some lighting, have absolutely no concept behind that lighting.

So rule one - a great stage show. A show people will remember!

Songs have to have at least five melody lines, fantastic hooks and meaning. Somewhere in that song, there has to be a message and a hook people remember.

Rule two - meaning and hooks have to be memorable.

You must be young and beautiful - or just quirky and different. But you must be photogenic in some way because like it or not, YouTube is where people are going to be looking for you.

Rule three - great videos.

Lastly, look after business. Get a good agent. try to get as many gigs as possible - you will not conquer the world from your bedroom! Get out there and watch them pennies, cos they ain't gonna look after themselves!

Rule four - treat it like a business because that's what it is.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3298 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .