Is there really any point making music to sell anymore ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is there really any point making music to sell anymore ?

Post by Albatross »

The Red Bladder wrote:Rule(s)

Rule 5 - Break all the rules.

Every artist who ever made a real difference ignored all the rules and went their own way.
Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2415 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by shufflebeat »

Albatross wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:Rule(s)

Rule 5 - Break all the rules.

Every artist who ever made a real difference ignored all the rules and went their own way.

I think that comes under rule #2
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Marbury »

The Red Bladder wrote: You must be young and beautiful - or just quirky and different. But you must be photogenic in some way because like it or not, YouTube is where people are going to be looking for you.

You forgot to add tattooed up to the neck.

Btw - this has nothing to do with the kind of genre I am working in. But I agree, it's all about young people these days.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Post by Sam Spoons »

shufflebeat wrote:Might struggle with "young and beautiful".

Yeah but you have quirky and photogenic in spades mate :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

Sam Spoons wrote:

Thanks Sam but I don't always dress as Posh Spice, that was a special occasion, my heels couldn't take it.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sam Spoons wrote:

I did have a plan for ways around this but couldn't get the band to agree. They're a bit traditional and some of them still cling to the idea that 'the music should be enough'.
As we're all just doing it for a bit of fun I've never pushed it but part of me still has an eye on trying it as an experiment. But it's hard enough finding one reliable band round here let alone trying to start a second! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24645 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by shufflebeat »

blinddrew wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:

I did have a plan for ways around this but couldn't get the band to agree. They're a bit traditional and some of them still cling to the idea that 'the music should be enough'.
As we're all just doing it for a bit of fun I've never pushed it but part of me still has an eye on trying it as an experiment. But it's hard enough finding one reliable band round here let alone trying to start a second! :D

A good band should be a treat for all the senses. That's what draws me inexorably towards folk music.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Me too (and gypsy jazz) but both those genres seem to place the emphasis on the music and the playing with not too much in the way of theatricals...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

Maybe (or maybe not) that's because there's an inherent theatricality in the style(s), since we're not reinventing the wheel entirely and people have an existing expectation, which can also be a total PITA at times, of course.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote:It's not often I agree with everything you say in a post TRB but I think I do this time! :D

I agree with him on one level, but totally disagree on another.
You’re talking about the "music business" here, with which I have nothing to do with.
I appreciate a good "show" and appreciate how much money goes into them.
Some artists are in one camp or another, art or pure business, some straddle the line, and take from both camps.
For me, money has no connection with music, it’s totally unnecessary, as for a show, I can do that, it comes naturally, simply because I don’t care, if you asked me to play on a stage in front of 500,000 people, I could do that and keep them entertained, but it hasn’t got anything to do with my desire to make money, I’m not in business to make money, I’m in business to make music.
As I keep saying, it’s all a matter of context, some people can manufacture substance out of nothing, others have substance and no need to manufacture a product.
Music is not a business, it’s a gift from heaven that is often abused and misused, to our peril, it is magic, you can choose to practice black, or white.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

Returning to Marbury : I can only suggest
If you haven't already
contacting indie game developers on forums.

:::::::

I recall Commander (Colins) could churn out Library tracks like it was piece of cake.
It's a skill.
I don't have this skill.

(I tend to put something of me into songs, so i find it difficult to be able to churn out Library tracks).
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by johnny h »

Marbury wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 pm
The Red Bladder wrote: You must be young and beautiful - or just quirky and different. But you must be photogenic in some way because like it or not, YouTube is where people are going to be looking for you.

You forgot to add tattooed up to the neck.

Btw - this has nothing to do with the kind of genre I am working in. But I agree, it's all about young people these days.

It always has been. The only difference is you've got older.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Post by MixAndMatch »

Marbury wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:52 pm Well, I don't know about anyone else here but I am at a loss at what to do regarding music for use in libraries etc. Fortunately I make most of my earnings with sound effects but as companies have fallen, sales have been reduced from a decent licence to the price of a cup of coffee I am pretty depressed with the whole business. Even libraries that have showed interest, one in particular who was keen on my work was about to send me the contract and I didn't hear diddly squat, no response of my emails.

There is money to be made out there but it's not easy to tap into it. Library composers are prospecting for gold alot of the time.

It's a very tough industry is the library music biz. There are very few worthwhile opportunities and there's perhaps less than 10 companies worth writing for. On top of that there's several thousand composers wanting to get into the biz now.

One can only try and come up with a wonderfully executed unique idea and try and entice one of the premier league chaps to take it on. If one is doing what everyone else is doing, one is not going to find exciting opportunities. No reflection on your music Mr. Marbury, I haven't heard your music. It's just a general comment.

The key to it is a powerful, authentic concept alongside flawless execution. It is about creating ideas that engage with those difficult creatives on the lookout for something different. The emphasis with alot of companies now is library music that doesn't sound like library music! I hear this alot. It is probably BS but that is the mindset and we are all going to have to adapt out ideas around it sooner or later.
MixAndMatch
Poster

Post by Airfix »

You want it - you have to pay for it - life's a bitch. She'll be back.
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Airfix wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm You want it - you have to pay for it - life's a bitch. She'll be back.

Not sure who or what this was aimed at?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24645 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/