iTunes buggery

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

iTunes buggery

Post by baward »

Hi,

iTunes has decided to remove, or make inaccessible, random some albums of music I added to it. I have no idea why. I am still on Mojave, and have full Time Machine backups.

What should I restore, in this situation? Thanks!
baward
Regular

Re: iTunes buggery

Post by baward »

...when I try to play one of my missing albums (now greyed out), iTunes actually plays a completely unrelated song to the one I intended. Weird and disconcerting. About 40% of my albums are doing this.
baward
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

I try to have all my music (and everything else) on a computer somewhere with the cloud as a backup but recently iTunes has not been cooperating (about 80% of my iPhone app are shown as in the cloud since I upgrade to iOS14, admittedly not the ones I use regularly but they are few TBH). There will be a way to sort it out bit I haven't got around to it yet.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19587 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by muzines »

If you're disk is and your files are ok, maybe try restoring the iTunes database file...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by baward »

Thanks all for your responses. Hopefully, Apple have revamped iTunes for Catalina & Big Sur, before I finally upgrade.
baward
Regular

Post by muzines »

baward wrote:Thanks all for your responses. Hopefully, Apple have revamped iTunes for Catalina & Big Sur, before I finally upgrade.

By "revamped", you mean "killed", right?
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by baward »

Do I? :mrgreen:
baward
Regular

Post by Humble Bee »

iTunes died didn't it?
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Post by baward »

I think that I have most of my music squirrelled away on another drive; Desmond if you were me, would you a) try and recreate your damaged album playlists by hand (Time Machining the iTunes .itl and .xml didn't do anything) and then install Mavericks or B) install Mavericks now and try and fix the music albums issue after that?
baward
Regular

Post by muzines »

baward wrote:I think that I have most of my music squirrelled away on another drive; Desmond if you were me, would you a) try and recreate your damaged album playlists by hand (Time Machining the iTunes .itl and .xml didn't do anything) and then install Mavericks or B) install Mavericks now and try and fix the music albums issue after that?

Mavericks? I don't really know what your issue is but I doubt installing a ten year old OS is going to magically fix anything?

Assuming your files are stored in folders for albums etc, I'd probably just start with a clean empty iTunes and reimport the music - but it depends on what you usage of playlists is (I have a few, but they're not particularly important to me, I tend to use them for housekeeping more than anything else ).

Do you have a backup of your iTunes library at all?
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by baward »

I meant Catalina, not Mavericks.
baward
Regular

Post by baward »

iTunes library backup; yes I have plenty with Time Machine.I restored one when I know my missing music was intact, but when I came out of Time Machine and restarted iTunes, the missing/damaged albums were still M.I.A.
baward
Regular