Sick MBP, move to Catalina and newer MBP Logic woes

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Sick MBP, move to Catalina and newer MBP Logic woes

Post by Guy Johnson »

Hello, I've done searching, to no avail, apologies if this is a dumb question...
I have been on High Sierra, and trying a newer machine on Catalina.

Logic is very slow or unresponsive. Hangs on AU verification, whether my 10.4.1 or 10.6.2
The iLok manager seems to be working. But many of the plugs think they are unlicensed. Grr!
This happens both on my migrated account, & the other admin a/c that the new MBP came with.
Many plugin components will NOT be looked at by the OS, as they are not from the Apple Store and are unverified or 'could be malware'... bollox!
I can't see any way to get around this 'Aunty Knows Best' rubbish. And it's this process or the AU validation that causes the 'logic unresponsive' hang...

So. Is it worth getting Mojave, and starting again on the newer MBP?

Thanks in advance, Guy|

Also, and I've never had this before, my Mail passwords didn't 'migrate' and I have no way of knowing what they are on my ailing MBP (screen probs) that I'm typing on now. Sheesh, but I'm a fed up and getting to be a reluctant Mac user
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1335 Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 12:00 am Location: North Pembrokeshire
This is my few words.

Re: Sick MBP, move to Catalina and newer MBP Logic woes

Post by Guest »

Start Logic while holding Shift + CTRL keys on your mac keyboard.

This will start it without any plugins being involved.

Does it work then?

Post by Guy Johnson »

Hi, tried that, still get the same message which is
"Updating information about Audio Unit plug-ins..."

If I remove the Components folder from the Plugins folder, Logic boots fine, and I miss all my 3rd party plugins. I tried removing the old left-over components no longer used, putting back the folder, and ... the same hang.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure the current state of what needs to be Notarised on Catalina, I know originally if the plugin was built pre-catalina then it would be allowed to run, this may have changed now.

I guess you need to check for each plugin you have if it runs under Catalina and if you need to install a newer version of it.

One thing you could try is just to start Logic and wait till it sorts it self out. There has always been a problem/bug with Logic that when it scans of using multiple validation processes to improve the speed, each time a validation process fails though it stops using it so in the end if you have loads of failures it ends up only using one. If this gets stuck you should then see it bouncing in the dock (or maybe not bouncing but also dead and logic stuck), kill it and logic will continue scanning. It should be called "auvaltool".

Once logic has actually managed to start itself then go to "Preferences->Plug-in Manager" and you will be able to see the plugins that need reinstalling.

Or try Mojave and then everything will just work but you only get Logic 10.5.1.
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guy Johnson »

Thanks Bob. Been trying that... I think I'll try Mojave. The nannyishness of Catalina is infuriating.

The newer machine seems to have some weird partitioning:
▼ Apple SSD
▼ Container Disk1
------MacOS----------------------(the HDs name on the desktop)
------MacOS - Données-----((I never see this one!)
Cheers :)
Last edited by Guy Johnson on Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Post by Guest »

Is it a French Mac?

Post by Guy Johnson »

Came from Cheshire Macs - who knows. A bit odd, I'll try a clean OS install.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Post by Dave Rowles »

I never used Catalina. Moved from High Sierra to Mojave, and never had a problem.

I recently had a major loss of data and had to have a clean install of my harddrive. I have to say that it solved a load of problems. It was annoying not using migrate or anything like that, but installing things manually meant I streamlined my install and got rid of a load of stuff I never use.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man