Keyboard shortcuts from Logic 9 to Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard shortcuts from Logic 9 to Logic Pro X

Post by BigRedX »

Having finally managed to "upgrade" from Logic 9 to Logic Pro X I find that all my keyboard short cuts have disappeared.

I realise that some more "advanced" functions have been hidden from the casual/novice user, as when I loaded in a project that uses some of these functions I was asked if I wanted to turn them on. However the message wasn't very clear if I was just enabling those functions that this particular project required or if I was turning on all the advanced editing functions.

I tried the obvious solution of looking in the Preferences Key Commands menu which is where it should be possible to select Logic 9 key commands but the option isn't there for me.

How do I get my old Logic 9 keyboard shortcuts back?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Keyboard shortcuts from Logic 9 to Logic Pro X

Post by Luke W »

Did you have custom commands saved? There's an option to import settings when you select "Edit" in the drop-down menu (or hit Option+K, if you want a key command for your key commands!).

If it's just the default Logic 9 commands you want I'm sure there will be a file available for download somewhere to be imported in the same way.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by BigRedX »

Yes, I have custom commands going all the way back to Logic 2. And now they have disappeared.

I tried the import option but I can't find anything to import. Where is the default place that Logic 8 and/or 9 would have saved these?

Sometimes I wish for the days when the OS didn't try and be clever for you and you had to make your own decisions on where to save stuff. At least I knew where my files were back then!
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Luke W »

When I open it it seems to look in User > Music > Audio Music Apps by default, which is also empty.

Not had a chance to look myself yet but my search would start somewhere around Mac HD > Library > Application Support and then look for any Apple/Logic folders.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Kwackman »

We miss Desmond.....
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Guest »

Apple removed the logic 9 keys from logic pro x a while ago, to get the original logic 9 keys:

Download the logic 9 key file file from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xyMGEHKcvydKfpuxyaMHYkcXRK00SOwg/view

Copy it to : /Users/<YOUR_USERNAME>/Music/Audio Music Apps/Key Commands and remove the .xml from the end.

Then in logic use menu: Logic Pro X->Key Commands->presets->Logic9KeyCommands

Post by Guest »

If you still have Logic 9 you should be able to export your key commands as well and copy them to the same place and choose them in the same way.

Post by Humble Bee »

Kwackman wrote:We miss Desmond.....

+1 :(
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Post by Dan LB »

Kwackman wrote:We miss Desmond.....

+1000
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by BigRedX »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:If you still have Logic 9 you should be able to export your key commands as well and copy them to the same place and choose them in the same way.

Logic 9 no longer works on my Mac since I updated to High Sierra in order to be able to get more up-to-date versions of Adobe CC for my paying work, so I can't export them. This the only reason why I've "upgraded" to Logo Pro X. I've looked through all the folders in ~/Library but can't find anything specifically related to Logic 9. It looks as though the Logic Pro X installation has over-written them.

If it was just a question of getting the default Logic 9 key commands it wouldn't be so bad, but I've slowly built up a set of custom commands over the past 25 years and now they have all gone. I first noticed when the my "jump to next marker" command no longer did anything. I've already had unexpected things happen because some of my old key commands have been used for completely different things in this new version of Logic.

BTW what has happened to Desmond? Is he taking another break or gone for good? I haven't seen anything saying he was off.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Guest »

I think the old location was: /Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/Logic/Key Commands.

So if you have a backup from before you upgraded the os it might be worth looking there.

or the brute force approach on your machine from terminal:

sudo find / -name "*.logikcs"

Post by bean438 »

Where is Desmond? I don’t really “know him”, but I kinda feel,like I know him. I hope all is well and he’s enjoying some holiday time.
bean438