Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

Post by IvanSC »

My cumulsative years of married bliss, totting up all the assorted Mrs. Terribles, tops 40.
Trust me.
I have not only been there, got the T shirt, etc., I also bear the scars.

P.S. The current incumbent has me so [ ****** ] scared, I would frankly nod dumbly, look at the carpet and say "anything you say, dear".
But on here I can be as brave as I wish I really was. (biiig shiteating grin)

Just got called to the table, so gotta go.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3041 Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: UK France & USA depending on the time of year.
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Post by _Nuno_ »

This mouse is supposed to be silent, according to on-line reviews. It's very expensive but probably worth the price in order to avoid trouble at home. I'm not sure it's available in Europe though.
_Nuno_
Regular
Posts: 259 Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland

Post by Agharta »

If I’m watching TV and my other half is clicking away on a mouse on a regular occasion it would bug me especially if it’s in the lounge or bedroom. I know it’s not that loud but it can still be too loud if you’re trying to relax and enjoy TV or something else. Keep PCs in the study I say.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by IvanSC »

but you don`t mind having a telly in the bedroom and keeping him/her awake when they are trying to sleep? (grin)
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3041 Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: UK France & USA depending on the time of year.

Post by Sosabba »

If anyone does manage to locate a retailer who does the Thanko linked to above (or any other silent mouse), I'd be interested to know as well. Not because of the GF, but I can definiteyly see the advantage of a silent mouse in the studio.

CHeers

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster
Posts: 618 Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: South West Wales

Post by Agharta »

Li-rocchi wrote:Not because of the GF, but I can definiteyly see the advantage of a silent mouse in the studio.

For the people that suggested that his GF was being unreasonable, if the tables were turned and you were making music on your PC and the GF was making a small amount of noise that was distracting you I expect you’d ask her to be quieter without thinking you were being unreasonable. It works both ways fellows otherwise you end up with.. :round1:
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Li-rocchi wrote:If anyone does manage to locate a retailer who does the Thanko linked to above (or any other silent mouse), I'd be interested to know as well. Not because of the GF, but I can definiteyly see the advantage of a silent mouse in the studio.

If you fancy a little DIY you could do worse than following this set of instructions:

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/blog/hajma/2005/3/23/81023

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20640 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by DRUMZ »

Agharta wrote:
Li-rocchi wrote:Not because of the GF, but I can definiteyly see the advantage of a silent mouse in the studio.

For the people that suggested that his GF was being unreasonable, if the tables were turned and you were making music on your PC and the GF was making a small amount of noise that was distracting you I expect you’d ask her to be quieter without thinking you were being unreasonable. It works both ways fellows otherwise you end up with.. :round1:

Question what is so creative about watching TV?
Knock a guy out?What real woman would put herself with a guy she can beat up?LOL Anyways she ain't complaining when she's dancing to the music and/or a cheque comes in.I'm pretty sure she knew the deal before she got into it. ;)
DRUMZ
Poster

Post by Agharta »

cmdr_hb wrote:Question what is so creative about watching TV?

I was expecting this sort of response from someone judging by the tone of some of the replies. It’s a classic egocentric viewpoint which says that what I do is more important than what you do and has to justify itself by belittling the other person’s pastime.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by IvanSC »

Agharta wrote:
cmdr_hb wrote:Question what is so creative about watching TV?

I was expecting this sort of response from someone judging by the tone of some of the replies. It’s a classic egocentric viewpoint which says that what I do is more important than what you do and has to justify itself by belittling the other person’s pastime.

So how do you feel about my comment on televisions in the bedroom?
That is either a solution or yet another problem, of course.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Post by Agharta »

IvanSC wrote:but you don`t mind having a telly in the bedroom and keeping him/her awake when they are trying to sleep? (grin)

IvanSC wrote:So how do you feel about my comment on televisions in the bedroom? That is either a solution or yet another problem, of course.

I have no opinion as it’s up to individuals to negotiate a solution for their particular tastes and living environment. All these examples boil down to the same thing for me which is that living with people is easier if you respect each others’ viewpoints, communicate openly and don’t act selfishly or unreasonably.
I can’t say whether the mouse in question is being used in an insensitive way as I don’t know the precise details of the scenario in which it’s being clicked.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by Sosabba »

Dale Campbell wrote:I personally feel that Paul Whites Leader column is getting a bit behind the times. We should petition to have it replaced with a relationship advice/agony aunt column (Paul could still write it of course).
And perhaps the following month readers answers could be printed maybe with a synopsis of the advice by Hugh?

Its a winner I think.

:tongue:

My vote goes to Agharta as the potential writer of the column..."Aghartany Aunt" perhaps. He is, after all, very fair in what he is saying, and is considering all angles and possibilities in an attempt to resolve friction. Not bad for a musician. In fact, not bad for a human being in this day and age!

Max.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster
Posts: 618 Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: South West Wales

Post by Martin Walker »

No-one was interested in trying my DIY solution then? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20640 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by IvanSC »

Agharta wrote:
IvanSC wrote:but you don`t mind having a telly in the bedroom and keeping him/her awake when they are trying to sleep? (grin)

IvanSC wrote:So how do you feel about my comment on televisions in the bedroom? That is either a solution or yet another problem, of course.

I have no opinion as it’s up to individuals to negotiate a solution for their particular tastes and living environment. All these examples boil down to the same thing for me which is that living with people is easier if you respect each others’ viewpoints, communicate openly and don’t act selfishly or unreasonably.
I can’t say whether the mouse in question is being used in an insensitive way as I don’t know the precise details of the scenario in which it’s being clicked.

(grin) so you`re not a relationship counsellor, you`re a divorce lawyer!
Where`s my shotgun....?
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Post by Agharta »

IvanSC wrote:(grin) so you`re not a relationship counsellor, you`re a divorce lawyer! Where`s my shotgun....?

Almost right; I’m a divorce lawyer by day and a relationship counsellor by night. I have to wear a disguise in the evenings so that my legal clients don’t recognise me from earlier in the day. Not that I’m biased towards pushing them towards divorce of course as being a lawyer I uphold the strong ethical base of that noble profession. :ooo:
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by recordplay »

it would be useful for radio stations, We've got a trackerball at our station, but you still hear it clicking if you listen carefully
recordplay
Regular
Posts: 231 Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 am Location: Devon, UK

Post by Mixedup »

I'd go for a good trackpad, set up to tap for left click, two fingered tap for right click... And if you don't get on with navigating by trackpad, I'd use a mouse for that, and use the trackpad as a huge but silent mouse button. :headbang:
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Mixedup »

Ah... I see I'm commenting on a more-than-decade-old post :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Indeed... funny what things people can find and respond to when they have a link to promote... but it's a useful thread with useful recommendation, nonetheless.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39028 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by wireman »

comradec wrote:Does anyone know of a commercially available computer mouse that doesn't actually click? I mean one that works, obviously.

Alternatively, don't use a mouse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_mouse/computer/win/win7/index.shtml
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal/dp/B008MU0TBU
wireman
Frequent Poster