Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Silent mouse - is there such a thing?

Post by recordplay »

it would be useful for radio stations, We've got a trackerball at our station, but you still hear it clicking if you listen carefully
recordplay
Regular
Posts: 231 Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 am Location: Devon, UK

Post by Mixedup »

I'd go for a good trackpad, set up to tap for left click, two fingered tap for right click... And if you don't get on with navigating by trackpad, I'd use a mouse for that, and use the trackpad as a huge but silent mouse button. :headbang:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Mixedup »

Ah... I see I'm commenting on a more-than-decade-old post :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Indeed... funny what things people can find and respond to when they have a link to promote... but it's a useful thread with useful recommendation, nonetheless.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38838 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by wireman »

comradec wrote:Does anyone know of a commercially available computer mouse that doesn't actually click? I mean one that works, obviously.

Alternatively, don't use a mouse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_mouse/computer/win/win7/index.shtml
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Foot-Switch-Keyboard-Pedal/dp/B008MU0TBU
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Indeed... funny what things people can find and respond to when they have a link to promote... but it's a useful thread with useful recommendation, nonetheless.

Well I've gotta thank thushara25 anyways - this gotta be one of the funniest thread I've read in years on SOS.

I wonder if comradec's partnership is still going strong or not.. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by ef37a »

I have one of theses: https://www.johnlewis.com/microsoft-all ... lsrc=aw.ds

Got mine ages ago from Sainsburys, uses two AAA cells which apparently last for ever. Comes with a tiny dongle.

I got mine to replace a wired kbd and mouse for a computer in my living room. The trackpad does not 'click' as such but makes a very quiet, dull thud. Quieter even than the buttons on my HP laptop.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16449 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by BJG145 »

To be fair, there's only one thing that annoys me more than necroposting, and that's clicky mice. I was rummaging through a box of them in my office the other day trying to find the quietest one, but they're all rubbish. I'm really surprised no-one has come up with a good cheap one.

(Forums oughta have a control for preventing new users from bumping old threads.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

BJG145 wrote:To be fair, there's only one thing that annoys me more than necroposting, and that's clicky mice. I was rummaging through a box of them in my office the other day trying to find the quietest one, but they're all rubbish. I'm really surprised no-one has come up with a good cheap one.

(Forums oughta have a control for preventing new users from bumping old threads.)

Oo! I don't know? SOME people take great pleasure in pointing out that one of us has been 'fooled'. They probably don't get out much?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16449 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk