Cubase Range Editing Errors

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Cubase Range Editing Errors

Post by Ellicott »

Here's a problem that has stymied me and many others who've witnessed it via remotes and MP4 clips. Any help would be much appreciated!

In Cubase Range Editing, the following procedures produce phantom events (silent “notes”) that resemble muted notes, but are not (they can’t be unmuted with the mute tool). These appear well within all the tracks’ timeline ranges.

Global Copy: I set the left and right locators, go to Range > Global Copy; I place the cursor where I want to insert the segment in the project (which should also move all subsequent events to the right of course). Instead, when I paste the segment, the result is spectacular – it overlays not only the selected segment (without moving anything), but also the rest of the whole project, with phantom “notes” that replicate much of the rest of the project, but don’t sound. All the phantom events appear well within the tracks' timeline range.

Then I try Global Copy again, this time placing it to the right of the project (but within the track range) to make the pasted items clearer. The results are the same (the selected segment appearing at the cursor, but the entire project, before and after the selected segment, appearing to the left and right of the copied selected segment – sometimes thousands of white phantom notes).

Paste Time : I place the left and right locators to indicate the amount of time I want to insert at the location of the left locator (which should also move all subsequent events to the right), and choose Paste Time in the Range pull-down. Instead of doing this, nothing moves, and the project is overlayed with phantoms.

These are not muted notes. In fact, they’re not notes at all – there’s no way to make them sound. As you can see, they can’t be unmuted with the mute tool. If inserted elsewhere in the project, in another project, or in a new project, nothing can make them sound.

Over the last nine months, I have downloaded new “copies” of Cubase more than a dozen times (versions 9.5, 10, 10.5 and 11).

Sweetwater reformatted all my drives, a new copy of Windows was installed, and Cubase loaded onto the “virgin” PC. Same results, regardless of the VSTs loaded.

Steinberg worked on this for months, with no solution. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Cubase 11
Intel i5-7700
32 GB RAM
Ellicott
New here
Doug R.

Re: Cubase Range Editing Errors

Post by Kwackman »

I'm on a Mac, so maybe that makes the following irrelevant, but I had a look as I've never used those facilities.

The first method you talked about SEEMED to work as I expected.
It's a small project, only 2 MIDI and 2 audio tracks.
I chose in and out points about halfway through the tune, so there was audio/midi after the out point that would need moved.

I set the "in" and "Out" points, and moved the cursor to the outpoint.
[Edit] > [Range] & select [Global Copy]
Then
[Edit] > [Range] & select [Paste Time]

The bit between the in & out point was repeated at the out point and the rest of the song moved along by the same length as the in/out gap.
I looked in the midi events and there are no ghost or muted notes that I can see.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not.
Good luck!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by RichardT »

Hi Ellicot,

Are you using Range > paste time to do the pasting?

I use that all the time with global copy and I’ve never had a problem. Sorry I can’t help!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by The Elf »

I use range cut/copy and paste/insert time frequently for both MIDI and audio data. I've never experienced anything like the issues you're describing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Kwackman »

Richard/Elf, just to help eliminate platform differences, are you on PCs or Macs?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by RichardT »

Kwackman wrote:Richard/Elf, just to help eliminate platform differences, are you on PCs or Macs?

I’m on Mac.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by The Elf »

Kwackman wrote:Richard/Elf, just to help eliminate platform differences, are you on PCs or Macs?

PC.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Ellicott »

Thank you for your comments. Steinberg has figured out a an unlikely workaround that works -- but they still have no idea what's causing the "phantom note" problem that requires the workaround for Range Editing to work. If anyone has this problem, I'd be happy to share it -- but apparently this is unique in the history of MIDI, so I won't waste your time!
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Ellicott
New here
Doug R.