Windows 11, will be launched by October 2021

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 11, will be launched by October 2021

Post by garrettendi »

I'm still running 7, and can't be arsed to pay to upgrade... I wonder if they'll do another big free upgrades kick?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
You don't need reverb, just stack two EQs together with a really long cable

Post by James Perrett »

garrettendi wrote:I'm still running 7, and can't be arsed to pay to upgrade... I wonder if they'll do another big free upgrades kick?

You can still upgrade for free - Microsoft haven't switched off the servers. It is possibly worth buying a spare disk and upgrading to that so that you can choose which system you run by swapping the boot disk.
James Perrett
Posts: 11172 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by OneWorld »

Will they be giving away a free copy of imaging software with it?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by blinddrew »

OneWorld wrote:Will they be giving away a free copy of imaging software with it?

Why would they need to? They've already got a copy of all your information?
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15958 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Post by ef37a »

I don't understand why so many people get so much crap from Ms? This Lenovo is on several hours a day on the net, every day and yes, I get asked to install updates but they have never caused me a problem, nothing odd has appeared in my taskbar.

Re the display port? (a 'mini' DP on this T510) I bought an adapter to feed a JVC FSTV with HDMI. Did not work. Frigged about with the laptop for quite a while then had the inspiration to power cycle the telly...BAZINGA! It worked!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13066 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by uselessoldman »

Installed Windows 11 and up and running running everything working as usual, Liquid 56 over firewire and Behringer X32. Watch out for old motherboards it likes to have secure boot v2 or else you have to copy the install.wim into a WIndows 10 boot
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by adrian_k »

uselessoldman wrote:Installed Windows 11 and up and running running everything working as usual, Liquid 56 over firewire and Behringer X32. Watch out for old motherboards it likes to have secure boot v2 or else you have to copy the install.wim into a WIndows 10 boot

How old is old? I don’t have anything newer than 10 years all running quite nicely thank you. I am not PC techy I just want things to work and preferably stay the same.

I am filled with dread.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1304 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
getting better all the time..

Post by Mike Stranks »

Hmmm.... :(

My PC is 8 years old and came from Scan...

The Win 11 compatibility-checker tell me that it's not compatible with Windows 11...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Rwkitch »

There's a good (I think) summary here:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/24/ ... indows_11/
Rwkitch
Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Mike Stranks wrote:Hmmm.... :(

The Win 11 compatibility-checker tell me that it's not compatible with Windows 11...

Mine is similar vintage and source.

I wonder if it came with the same inexpensive passively-cooled graphics card as mine did? It became an obstacle to ongoing Windows updates. A newer-model replacement may be all you need. About £30.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5699 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by S.Crow »

'Your PC will need UEFI Secure Boot firmware and a TPM 2.0 security chipset to run it. And you'll need an internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup of Windows 11 Home.'

The TPM module will be a stumbling block for many systems I suspect.
My 3 year old system with a Z370 chipset lacks one and it was a £100 motherboard so not ultra budget.
But it does have a socket to accept a TPM module so others will also be in the same boat.

The requirements for setting up the Home edition will annoy many and hopefully the Pro edition is less demanding.
S.Crow
Regular

Post by N i g e l »

S.Crow wrote:'...My 3 year old system with a Z370 chipset lacks one and it was a £100 motherboard so not ultra budget.
But it does have a socket to accept a TPM module so others will also be in the same boat.

I'm ASROCK 'ing a Z390M pro4 motherboard which has a TPM socket but maybe its time to lock it down and take it off the web for music use. Then again the modules seem to be ~£12, good value for a free OS upgrade.
It was ages ago I had to buy Windows 7, how are MS making their money these days ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1769 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by adrian_k »

Mike Stranks wrote:Hmmm.... :(

So mine won’t be either, which I don’t care about as long as there is a decent support horizon for W10.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Post by adrian_k »

Redmond blithely suggests you "consider purchasing a new PC" if your system doesn't meet the requirements.

Well if I’ve got to buy new hardware just to keep what I’ve got running, I might as well look at the whole thing and consider going Mac/Logic. I used to worry about being able to reload old projects, but in 21 years I’ve needed to do it just once.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster