Windows 11, will be launched by October 2021

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 11, will be launched by October 2021

Post by Rwkitch »

There's a good (I think) summary here:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/24/ ... indows_11/
Rwkitch
Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Mike Stranks wrote:Hmmm.... :(

My PC is 8 years old and came from Scan...

The Win 11 compatibility-checker tell me that it's not compatible with Windows 11...

Mine is similar vintage and source.

I wonder if it came with the same inexpensive passively-cooled graphics card as mine did? It became an obstacle to ongoing Windows updates. A newer-model replacement may be all you need. About £30.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by S.Crow »

'Your PC will need UEFI Secure Boot firmware and a TPM 2.0 security chipset to run it. And you'll need an internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup of Windows 11 Home.'

The TPM module will be a stumbling block for many systems I suspect.
My 3 year old system with a Z370 chipset lacks one and it was a £100 motherboard so not ultra budget.
But it does have a socket to accept a TPM module so others will also be in the same boat.

The requirements for setting up the Home edition will annoy many and hopefully the Pro edition is less demanding.
S.Crow
Regular

Post by N i g e l »

S.Crow wrote:'...My 3 year old system with a Z370 chipset lacks one and it was a £100 motherboard so not ultra budget.
But it does have a socket to accept a TPM module so others will also be in the same boat.

I'm ASROCK 'ing a Z390M pro4 motherboard which has a TPM socket but maybe its time to lock it down and take it off the web for music use. Then again the modules seem to be ~£12, good value for a free OS upgrade.
It was ages ago I had to buy Windows 7, how are MS making their money these days ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by adrian_k »

Mike Stranks wrote:Hmmm.... :(

My PC is 8 years old and came from Scan...

The Win 11 compatibility-checker tell me that it's not compatible with Windows 11...

So mine won’t be either, which I don’t care about as long as there is a decent support horizon for W10.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2568 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by adrian_k »

Redmond blithely suggests you "consider purchasing a new PC" if your system doesn't meet the requirements.

Well if I’ve got to buy new hardware just to keep what I’ve got running, I might as well look at the whole thing and consider going Mac/Logic. I used to worry about being able to reload old projects, but in 21 years I’ve needed to do it just once.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2568 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Mike Stranks »

adrian_k wrote:
Redmond blithely suggests you "consider purchasing a new PC" if your system doesn't meet the requirements.

Well if I’ve got to buy new hardware just to keep what I’ve got running, I might as well look at the whole thing and consider going Mac/Logic. I used to worry about being able to reload old projects, but in 21 years I’ve needed to do it just once.

Yup!

Win10 active support scheduled until 14 October 2025...

But I'm now the same as you... is it time for a change anyway?... I'm doing a lot of video work now and this PC has 'just good enough' graphics as part of the motherboard... I'd like better graphics capability anyway.

I ran a benchmark last night... graphics performance very poor, processor still very good. In fairness to Scan this was purchased as an audio PC so these figures are just what should be expected.

When to 'jump'.... and to what... ?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

You’ll face similar issues on Mac - old machines will not run new operating systems. Not that I’m discouraging you from trying The Mac world - I prefer it!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Luke W »

I've got very used to scrolling straight past threads regarding Windows, and keep forgetting that I do now actually have a PC...

Mike Stranks wrote: Win10 active support scheduled until 14 October 2025...

Looks like I can probably just leave things alone for a while then.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Mike Stranks wrote:But I'm now the same as you... is it time for a change anyway?... I'm doing a lot of video work now and this PC has 'just good enough' graphics as part of the motherboard... I'd like better graphics capability anyway.

I ran a benchmark last night... graphics performance very poor, processor still very good.

Well, you can always swap in a more powerful graphics card. If you don't mind the noise from the fan.

But will it actually increase your video productivity?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by uselessoldman »

When to 'jump'.... and to what... ?

Taking into account the current chip shortages together with hiked prices, estimates are it might be 18 to 24 months before the market balances out. With specific regards to GPUs you have to go back to something like a RX570 6Gb to get a decent price for performance something like a Vega 64 which I have and is 50% faster currently costs x5 the price when it was previously only x1.5 (£240) and as for those new super fast cards, just forget it !!!! I also have the RX570 6Gb a good card if not spectacular and sells for about the same price I paid a couple of years back, £150.

I would be looking to upgrade a couple of computers MOBO CPU, Rams and GPU, would have cost about £800 each now closer to £1100 so in a couple of years when we have USB4, DDR5 and sensible prices I could save about £500. I would consider buying another Vega64 to replace my RX

The secure boot option is I think not something everyone will want to sign up for and its an install prerequisite not actually part of the OS specifically, my HP Z600 is running Windows 11 fine without it.
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:But I'm now the same as you... is it time for a change anyway?... I'm doing a lot of video work now and this PC has 'just good enough' graphics as part of the motherboard... I'd like better graphics capability anyway.

I ran a benchmark last night... graphics performance very poor, processor still very good.

Well, you can always swap in a more powerful graphics card. If you don't mind the noise from the fan.

But will it actually increase your video productivity?

Nope! But it would enable me to get a better assessment of what I'm working with for picture adjustments... on my PC the pictures look very 'bleugh'... on the TV, reading a USB stick, they're superb.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster