More Windows bloatware

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: More Windows bloatware

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And you don't need deep insight to know that the Chinese regime would never allow for such an investigation to take place.
No-one is saying China is all bad anymore than they are saying the west is all good.
But I think I'll follow Mike at this point. :wave:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by MOF »

From what I've seen in reality cop shows, if you've turned your phone off in the UK, you're probably hiding a body.

Or run out of juice?
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by shufflebeat »

blinddrew wrote:...I think I'll follow Mike at this point. :wave:

Oh no, not that old one! Name your Mike, Dynamic or Stranks.

(Worse than bloody Johnson with that slippery side-talk).

:) by the way.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9092 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Dynamic Mike »

blinddrew wrote: For what it's worth I don't really recognise the rest of this description either. The millenials and gen Z I work with are no less educated, intelligent, articulate or astute than the boomers and gen X I work with.

What they are though, in a way I don't remember my peers being, is cynical, jaded and bitter about being lectured by a generation who've taken advantage of a host of benefits (free university education, final salary pensions, free dental care, a realistic minimum wage) that they've then whipped away from their children and grand-children. And I can't say I blame them for that, especially when you lob in the climate crisis (that they didn't create but will have to live with) as well.

I'm willing to accept my apparaisal may not be applied universally but it's based on my personal observations. Just short of 90% of long term sickness I have to manage is for people aged 20-40, not one of whom has a physical illness. They may well be educated, intelligent, articulate, astute but they haven't been taught resilience because they're not exposed to it. The current social & education systems don't give people effective tools to deal with disappointment and failure. I have genuinely had med certs from GP's submitted for 'sadness' & 'tiredness'. Meanwhile the majority of older staff turn up day after day, no matter how crap they feel, no matter what personal stress they're suffering, and not only put a full shift in but try to cover the workload of those who haven't turned up. YMMV, & I'm happy for you if it does.

Every generation blames the one before. We may have had free university education, but the trade off was only a tiny percentage of us got one. Final salary pensions have disappeared for pretty much anyone under 60. Dental care is free (or part-funded if you're earning) & dentists are no longer paid a tariff to fill perfectly good teeth. If you grew up in the 70's & have a mouth full of fillings, go figure. Even an unrealistic minimum wage is one step better than we had in 80's. A guy I knew in the early 80's raised a health & safety issue at work & was told if he looked over his shoulder he'd see 3.5 million unemployed people willing to take his place. It was hardly a bed of roses, a zero hours contract is bad but still better than no contract at all.

The climate crisis was likely triggered by the industrial revolution, I won't be holding my hands up to that one. And for those of us who lived through the cold war recycling wasn't always our major concern. I think the anxiety caused by being taught in school how to deal with a four minute warning of a nuclear strike probably trumps that caused by not getting enough facebook 'likes'.
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I think this is has developed into an interesting conversation but it's rather off-topic now. Might it be better to spawn a dedicated thread for matters Chinese in the lounge as opposed to continuing it in the Windows Music forum? ;)

In other words, please restrict further additions to this thread such that they relate to the original topic.

Thank you!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Sorry Eddy! ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Dynamic Mike »

Sorry. I forgot this was visible to all :oops:
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Guest »

All I know is that it is the bloody Americans who added that weather icon.

Post by OneWorld »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:All I know is that it is the bloody Americans who added that weather icon.

Yes they might have done but it’s still China’s fault, because Trump said so.

And there endeth the lesson, as suggested, might be more appropriate to have this discussion on the Lounge Forum
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Eddy Deegan wrote:I think this is has developed into an interesting conversation but it's rather off-topic now. Might it be better to spawn a dedicated thread for matters Chinese in the lounge as opposed to continuing it in the Windows Music forum? ;)

In other words, please restrict further additions to this thread such that they relate to the original topic.

Thank you!

I think that is a good idea. And it is somewhat ironic that a topic pertaining to the issue of Windows Bloatware has morphed into an issue where the hot topic the new Cold War LOL
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by miN2 »

I don't have these problems with Windows. Like glitches, bloatware, etc., i just don't have it. I don't mean it doesn't bother me, i mean i don't have it. For example, that news and interests option in the Taskbar context menu isn't there for me.

I don't know what option i've checked to prevent all these annoyances but i'm thinking it must exist because i don't experience any of them. Like, none. Honestly.

I did check/uncheck a whole host of stuff ages ago when basically nosing around Win 10 deciding whether that makes sense or not, but for any specific option to enable/disable a particular feature i have no idea.

I know i did turn off/uninstall/delete everything to do with tiles, and considering 'News' is part of their live tile stuff maybe it has something to do with that?

Same goes for 'weather', and all the other apps and notifications of that ilk.

My Windows is up to date. I run no 3rd party software to control/prevent anything to do with the OS.

:?
miN2
Regular

Ssssh! Don't let them know!
;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster