What are you using your Atari for?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What are you using your Atari for?

Post by alexpop »

Got two Ste‘s one is 4MB, not sure what the other one is can’t determine the ram. Ironically the 4MB STe disc drive started playing up, ie not working ( both Ataris I bought just over 10 years ago ..cheap then) so I had to dig the other Atari out not used for a decade and it fired up no probs. With Unitor I’m managing to run a Roland /Micro Korg .. and a Casio WK - not much overflow ( if any) with the Emagic Notator 3.21. With the lockdown bla bla bla .. it’s been great fun tarting up old songs. Need more gear though.
alexpop
New here

Post by David Etheridge »

Alex - need more gear? Everyone knows that you can NEVER have too many synths/samplers/fx/ etc ad nauseam.. :bouncy:
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Post by alexpop »

David Etheridge wrote:Alex - need more gear? Everyone knows that you can NEVER have too many synths/samplers/fx/ etc ad nauseam.. :bouncy:

Hi David,

NEVER have”?

True dat. :)

Fun working on old songs. Ironically I’ve not written any new stuff, just rearranging old songs tempo change, groove mode etc with Notator SL 3.21...never ends the endless creativity loop.
Keeps you busy I guess. But, new gear? Always on the lookout. :)

Best wishes,
Alex
alexpop
New here

Post by The Korff »

There's some fine Atari (and Amiga) action in our latest SOS Feature Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn7ZDcx9w0
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2271 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by Chromeman »

I've been using my Atari for 6 months now (last used in 1996). It powered up without a fuss after 24 years in the loft - and seems to work perfectly. I currently use it with Notator and Maschine Studio hardware to sequence drums - it's far quicker than using Maschine's awful arrange mode and despite all the power of modern DAWs I can create everything so much more quickly on the Atari even though I've used Logic and PT for years.
Chromeman
Regular

Post by peredur »

I have a friend who is a dyed in the wool Atari user. Up until recently, he has been happily transferring files by formatting the FD in his PC and inserting that into the Atari. Suddenly he the PC drive does not want to know, and if he uses FD which is already formatted then the PC will not read it after it has been in the Atari.

Does anyone have any ideas which might help?

TIA
peredur
Poster
Double Bass - an airfix kit waiting to happen

Post by Eddy Deegan »

peredur wrote:I have a friend who is a dyed in the wool Atari user. Up until recently, he has been happily transferring files by formatting the FD in his PC and inserting that into the Atari. Suddenly he the PC drive does not want to know, and if he uses FD which is already formatted then the PC will not read it after it has been in the Atari.

Does anyone have any ideas which might help?

TIA

A PC can't read an Atari-formatted disk, but a stock Atari ST with a double density '1 meg' floppy can read a PC-formatted disk if it's formatted as a 720k volume.

There are utilities for the Atari that will convert an ST-formatted floppy to 'DOS' format, which can be read by a PC, as well as utilities that will format a floppy to standard PC format but I'm afraid it's been too long for me to remember any names. A few google searches should help there.

He's probably using a floppy formatted on the ST instead of one formatted on the PC. Assuming he has a DD drive in the ST, if he formats a 720k disk on the PC and then uses the Atari to copy the files from the floppy that the PC won't read onto that PC-formatted disk, it should work OK.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by johnny h »

Is anyone still using an Atari for making music on a regular basis?
johnny h
Jedi Poster