Zoom Newbie Needs Help!

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoom Newbie Needs Help!

Post by Mike Stranks »

Calling Concertina Chap. Blinddrew, The Elf or any of the other Zoom cognoscenti...

I've bumbled along in Zoom just using an iPad and not bothering much about sound as I've been a low-level meeting participant...

But I've had an invitation to give a more formal presentation in a few week's time so I want to up my game a bit.

I don't have a webcam on my Windows 10 computer. I have just ordered some bits and pieces so that I can connect a camcorder to USB 3.0 using an HDMI-USB conversion gizmo.
That should sort the pics (I hope!) but I need a steer on sound.

Can I connect an audio interface to another USB port so that I can improve the sound? Will both sound and video be routed appropriately in and through Zoom?

[For background: I have an audio interface currently connected that is buried deep behind my desk and is used for playback only via a monitor controller. I'm suggesting connecting another AI to get sound into the system - something I don't normally do because of PC fan noise.]

Any responses appreciated, but please keep it as concise as possible without lots of interesting detail! :D Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Zoom Newbie Needs Help!

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Hmmm. Yes, it should all work. I have had at one point a webcam, one AI for input and one AI for output all connected at once.
Within Zoom you get to choose what device to use for what job under the audio settings. It should all be pretty straightforward.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thanks Drew!

I'll wait for the 'bits' to arrive and then have a trial run...

:thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by wireman »

Mike Stranks wrote: I don't have a webcam on my Windows 10 computer. I have just ordered some bits and pieces so that I can connect a camcorder to USB 3.0 using an HDMI-USB conversion gizmo.
That should sort the pics (I hope!) but I need a steer on sound.

Can I connect an audio interface to another USB port so that I can improve the sound? Will both sound and video be routed appropriately in and through Zoom?

I did exactly the same today (purchase an HDMI to USB/webcam converter) as part of a plan to start having music lessons again but remotely. My video camera has XLR inputs so I will first try embedded audio but I may end up using a USB interface if that does not work.

I think there have been previous posts here covering appropriate Zoom settings for quality audio.
Last edited by wireman on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Yep, just as Drew says, you can choose which bits of gear you are using for video and audio, so it *should* be straightforward. ;)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Murray B »

Hi Mike,

If you intend to share your screen it's a good plan to have another device (camera and audio off) as a meeting attendee with you (your iPad perhaps) as you tend to be a little blind on what the audience are actually seeing.

Good luck
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by The Elf »

I had typed some info about screen sharing, but thought better of it!

I did a family quiz where I was able to screen-share the iPad while using Zoom on the laptop in order to create a photo round. It was simpler than trying to do everything on one machine.

If it's of interest, Mike, let us know.
Last edited by The Elf on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Mike Stranks »

Will do!

At the moment I just need to do a 'piece to camera', but the way things are developing with COVID... who knows?

(I've realised that I've done a 'one AI in, one AI out' a few times with sound and it worked fine. I think it's the whole Zoom thing that had me a bit befuddled!)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Did some experimenting with Zoom this afternoon...

Both AIs recognised and working as they should... just the camera to go now... :)

By the way... CC's 'How To...' articles provided a useful steer on setting things up... :clap::thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by dfira »

I'm wondering how syncing the video and the audio would work.

I guess one can always clap and just judge more or less the delay, but I'm wondering if there is a more scientific approach?
dfira
Poster

Post by wireman »

I was hoping to provide some input to this but for some reason my Zoom work login is not working.

In any case my new capture card arrived and I can get the input (video and embedded sound) into OBS. I can route sound from onboard XLRs to the channels in the video stream so I think in my case that is what I'm going to try with my NT5(omni)s.
I wonder as well if there are any delay implications if you route sound independently of the video stream from the camera.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

If you like the camera of the ipad - which is pretty good as portable cameras go - you can use the free EpocCam - https://www.elgato.com/en/epoccam - and run the video thru the ipad and the audio thru the pc audio interface with the mic and preamp of your choice, while having the Zoom/Teams/Meet/Whatever session of the pc.

Full control and very stable, I use it all the time these days.
Last edited by CS70 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Eastonone »

I do quite a lot of Zooming using various setups and if you are using different converters for Audio and Video you will find that that conversions happen at different speed (video depending on frame rate and resolution of image will always take longer than audio). The easiest solution is to play the sound through the camera microphone input so that the audio becomes part of the HDMI or SDI stream.
Otherwise you will need to introduce a delay in the audio to achieve acceptable lip synch. I do not use my low latency AI for this reason but rather use a dedicated video an audio mixer which has a facility to introduce delay on the sound mixer to achieve a match.

If using the camera route check whether the 3.5mm socket is TRS not TRRS vs the output from your sound mixer/microphone....
Eastonone

Post by Mike Stranks »

Eastonone wrote:I do quite a lot of Zooming using various setups and if you are using different converters for Audio and Video you will find that that conversions happen at different speed (video depending on frame rate and resolution of image will always take longer than audio). The easiest solution is to play the sound through the camera microphone input so that the audio becomes part of the HDMI or SDI stream.
Otherwise you will need to introduce a delay in the audio to achieve acceptable lip synch. I do not use my low latency AI for this reason but rather use a dedicated video an audio mixer which has a facility to introduce delay on the sound mixer to achieve a match.

If using the camera route check whether the 3.5mm socket is TRS not TRRS vs the output from your sound mixer/microphone....

Welcome Eastonone - and thanks! :thumbup:

I'll be experimenting a bit before I have to do my presentation so your tips are useful. If the separate audio link causes sync problems then I'll connect a mic direct to the camera mic input... I have several I use for this purpose when shooting video.

I also have an interview (me being interviewed) with an online sound tutorial setup delivered via YouTube, tentatively in the pipeline. For that I shall record the sound and video as discrete files here - on the camcorder and into my Zoom F4 and then send them over for syncing in post.
Last edited by Mike Stranks on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Quick update...

Yesterday I had to host a Zoom meeting at short notice due to the usual host being unwell.

Some frantic scrabbling ensued! :lol:

I brought my Win 7 laptop out of retirement as it has a - admittedly poor - webcam. But the HDMI-USB converter for my good camera is still in transit... :(

I took the precaution of using an Ethernet connection rather than relying on Wi-Fi - good decision.

I used a decent cardioid SDC via an audio interface for my voice and earbuds direct out of the laptop for hearing the incoming audio.

The only bummer was screen-sharing. As the Elf indicated above, this was a bit of a faff and I got in a tangle a couple of times when I needed to lose the shared screen and then pick it up again. I've subsequently discovered some tweaks which would have helped, but for prospective future use I'm thinking of getting an HDMI switcher and using the laptop as a 'second camera' feed.

Good news is that I don't have to get an ATEM Mini! I've discovered some 'seamless switchers' which work and are about 25% of the cost of an ATEM. Will also be useful for subsequent true multi-camera 'live' work...
Last edited by Mike Stranks on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

If you end up doing this regularly, Mike, one thing that has helped me mightily is my Elgato Stream Deck.

On there I can instantly switch cameras/screens, mute mics, etc, with nice, friendly icons to help my poor brain! It would be worth considering, and it has uses far beyond this.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thank 'e kindly young sir!

I'll bear it in mind, but at the mo I'm thinking of switching HDMI sources upstream of the PC.

That said, the Elgatos do look very useful little bits of kit... :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Further update...

HDMI-USB converter now installed. Excellent! :thumbup:

I may now even put in an appearance at tomorrow's SoSZoom... :shock::lol:

[Sigh!]... and that ATEM Mini looks a lovely bit o' kit... [Sigh!]... makes live-streaming a doddle...
Last edited by Mike Stranks on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Mike Stranks wrote:[Sigh!]... and that ATEM Mini looks a lovely bit o' kit... [Sigh!]... makes live-streaming a doddle...

HDMI inputs aside, this is essentially what you get with OBS. As long as you can get the cameras connected OBS will take care of the rest. And it's free! All you then do is flip between the 'Scenes' you set up that includes any combination of your video and audio inputs.

I've not used OBS to connect to Zoom, but maybe I should try it...
Last edited by The Elf on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Mike Stranks »

The Elf wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:[Sigh!]... and that ATEM Mini looks a lovely bit o' kit... [Sigh!]... makes live-streaming a doddle...

HDMI inputs aside, this is essentially what you get with OBS. As long as you can get the cameras connected OBS will take care of the rest. And it's free! All you then do is flip between the 'Scenes' you set up that includes any combination of your video and audio inputs.

I've not used OBS to connect to Zoom, but maybe I should try it...

Quite true... and I've had a look at various bits of in the box software... impressive stuff.

But you know me... inherently lazy and always looking for the easy solution. Something like the ATEM or a cheaper seamless switcher means that the computer - and thus YouTube - sees it all as simply a webcam. Going live is thus a cinch!

BTW - screen-sharing is sorted now I'm on the 'grown-up' PC and have worked out how to optimise the screen to be shared. I can drop in and out at will now without getting screen lock-ups. :thumbup:

This afternoon I've been fiddling around with light panels. My make-up kit is due tomorrow! :D:lol::bouncy:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster