Selling advice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Selling advice

Post by Enmore Audio »

Has anyone ever has any experience with selling items through Reverb.com?? -https://reverb.com/
Enmore Audio
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:I suspect the days of 'Shonky Shop" bargains are well behind us now :frown:. The internet means your Cash Converters et al can easily find out the value of nearly everything. Sad but I have my £27.50, car boot sail Mountain D45 to reassure me such things were once possible......

Yes, the dreaded interweb had destroyed everything, I certainly won't be getting an EDP Wasp for £10, a Juno 6 for £40, and a pair of Quad 11 valve amp's for £45 again anyntime soon. My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.
Last edited by Arpangel on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

:shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
Last edited by Martin Walker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote::shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Yes, they were buried under a pile of old clothes on the floor, and looked like a pair of cheap music centre speakers, until I had a closer look, I said how much for the speakers? the guy said three quid, I didn't haggle!
Another great find was an Onkyo amplifier, a real beast, 90 watts per channel, twin transformers, a massive thing, plus a matching graphic EQ, and tape deck, all for £18!
I had that amp for years, and it sounded superb. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BigRedX »

James Perrett wrote:Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.

But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by James Perrett »

BigRedX wrote: But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.

Erm - I bought one because it was what I wanted. It was better than my Electro Harmonix mini synth and was great for adding extra textures to the music I was doing. It is still going strong and the only repair I've done has been to fix a cracked connector PCB. Given the comments that I get from various studio users when they see it, I'd guess there are quite a few people who would pay much more than £15 for one.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by TJ1 »

Just out of interest - what would stop an unscrupulous dealer selling an item for a price that they then 'under-reported' to the seller?

I'd assume that they might be situations where the dealer needs to be given some flexibilty over price negotiations with the buyer - which is where I would guess the above abuse could occur.
TJ1
New here

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.

Very strange times we seem to be going through James, I know people that have put very good stuff on the garden wall, for people to take, or as you say, can’t be bothered to sell it, even though they know how much it’s worth.
I’m wondering if the influx of very cheap, but good new gear, has devalued a lot of secondhand stuff, making it not worth bothering with.
I like buying the older stuff, simply because it sounds better than a lot of expensive gear today.
Juno 6? Yes, I swapped a pair of Celestion hi-fi speakers for one, worth about forty quid!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Must be a dull day! You've resurrected an 18-month old post... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38982 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by OneWorld »

'A lucky find?'

Some years ago, I was just walking out the door of the post office and there was a £20 note on the ground, being the fine upstanding citizen that I am, I handed it in at the counter. About 200 yards down the road, I found a £10 note and thought "Well, what am I supposed to do with this, my lucky day or what, is someone sending me a message?"

I was across the road from the mini-market so went in and bought some bits and bobs, I had about £2 left so I bought a lottery ticket, and won £100!!!!!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by garrettendi »

I had to sell my Alesis Forge kit the other day on Facebook. Cost £500 roughly new, and at first offered it for £200. Then £150. Then finally I looked it up on eBay, saw some people had managed to buy them for peanuts, and eventually sold it on Facebook for £60.

The buyer got an absolute bargain. Meanwhile I'm feeling disheartened at how little electronic drum kits retain their value. Especially as all the low end kits now have mesh pads!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Post by Wonks »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:29 am Must be a dull day! You've resurrected an 18-month old post... :lol:

Well, it's a sticky so should really be kept alive if it's to be kept relevant.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

garrettendi wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 am I had to sell my Alesis Forge kit the other day on Facebook. Cost £500 roughly new, and at first offered it for £200. Then £150. Then finally I looked it up on eBay, saw some people had managed to buy them for peanuts, and eventually sold it on Facebook for £60.

The buyer got an absolute bargain. Meanwhile I'm feeling disheartened at how little electronic drum kits retain their value. Especially as all the low end kits now have mesh pads!

I find that's the wrong way to look at things. I rationalise it by saying to myself, "I considered item Y to be worth amount X at the time I bought it." (otherwise I wouldn't have). "I have now used Y as much as want to / need to / can. Therefore it no longer has value to me. If it is valueless, then any cash I can get for it is a bonus."
The world moves on, what something was worth a few years ago is not just different to what it is now, it's irrelevant. Therefore any comparison is also irrelevant.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by garrettendi »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pmI find that's the wrong way to look at things. I rationalise it by saying to myself, "I considered item Y to be worth amount X at the time I bought it." (otherwise I wouldn't have). "I have now used Y as much as want to / need to / can. Therefore it no longer has value to me. If it is valueless, then any cash I can get for it is a bonus."
The world moves on, what something was worth a few years ago is not just different to what it is now, it's irrelevant. Therefore any comparison is also irrelevant.

Wise words! Thank you kindly!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Post by DonMilan »

annac wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am The tips are intelligent for marketing. i just would like to add that in selling, give value to customer service. That's one way of keeping and attracting customers or buyers on your side.

Totally spot on here. I'm curious though as I've struggled to sell some of my old (bought them new) Deadbeat, and other off brand beginner pedals and haven't gotten any hits on them. FB marketplace and a few other places listed. Helpful thread otherwise! I have half a mind to go to Guitar Center and take the pennies I may get back on them, but I'd love to sell and keep whatever $$ I can get for my own gear on whatever platform it needs to be sold on. I always find selling to friends in person is the best, despite the obligatory price knock. Any further tips??
DonMilan
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Every time I've sold anything on FB marketplace I've initially had zero interest. Then, after a few weeks, I've had a flurry of contacts. It's almost like stuff gets circled round the loop to the top again.
This may be nothing more than coincidence, but unless you need the cash in a hurry, I'd say patience was your friend.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

I had similar with a car I was selling, several weeks with no interest then a dozen or more enquiries in a day. I'm pretty sure it was because FB randomly pick a few items to 'feature' every day an I was lucky enough to be picked.

Ebay is variable and expensive but it's still probably the most efficient way of selling after word of mouth.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19701 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

I find the search feature on FB Marketplace totally dire and if you search for say Vox AC30 you’ll get one, then probably a couple of Fenders, then a sponsored listing, then a Vox pedal and then an AC30 then something else, with what you are interested in scattered all over the page.

So you have to be prepared to sift through the dross. And if you’ve put up a listing, then you just have to hope that it appears near the top of someone’s search.

Of course, gear searches can be prompted by mentions in magazine articles or popular YouTube channel reviews, which then give rise to multiple searches and enquiries.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Music Wolf »

For guitar related stuff I'm a poster on 'The Fretboard', a guitar related forum.

There's a lot of buying and selling there (some people are passing guitars around like library books). Bedroom dealers are frowned upon and there’s an unwritten rule that, if you buy a guitar via the forum, then you sell it on at the same price (less wear and tear or plus upgrades). I sold a guitar on there because somebody was inquiring about a particular model and I had one gathering dust, I hadn’t thought to sell until then. When I wanted a PRS Silver Sky I found one in as-new condition in the colour I wanted at a fair price within a couple of weeks of looking. When, on New Years eve, I posted on a thread about ‘guitars you were thinking about for 2022’ I was contacted within hours by a local guy and on New Year’s Day I acquired a lovely PRS SE Hollowbody II which had already been sold between members a couple of times (I love it and it isn’t going anywhere soon). Last purchase was a Helix HX Effects on behalf of my friend.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens