Must have pedals that remain unused.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Must have pedals that remain unused.

Post by Arpangel »

I have a couple of these, and they very rarely get used, I thought they’d be really useful at the time.
I’m reluctant to sell them, as sometimes I find a new thing about them I didn’t know about, which brings up the question, I can have too many things, we joke about it, but in reality my attention is too thinly spread, and I don’t make the most of what "I actually need" sometimes.
Some pedals aren’t cheap, far from it, and some are undoubtably excellent from the word go, some seem to gel from the very beginning, like my Zoom CDR70, Big Sky, but others languish around and I’m not sure.
There are some dodgy pedals out there, by dodgy I mean nothing special, mutton dressed up as lamb with fancy graphics, clever YouTube videos that make a pitch shifter and what is basically a really bad reverb into something "mystical" "magical" something that they convince you will ad "mojo" to your sound, basically, if you can’t explain it in simple terms it is, nothing but marketing blurb.
How many more dense reverbs do we need? How many more delays with a zillion different flavours? There is reverb, and modulation, basically, everything else is a twist on the same tune.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Must have pedals that remain unused.

Post by shufflebeat »

I've got.one of these which I do love to play with but can never really justify taking it to gigs, usually because it requires the cooperation of others to StFU and let it be heard.

shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Ha! I've actually been thinking about one of those recently. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by BJG145 »

I'd love a freeze pedal, I've been thinking about a Gamechanger Plus for ages but the right planetary alignment hasn't happened yet.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

It does some very weird stuff if you put it through other processes. I was gigging with a Tak dread and mandola, both through first the Freeze and then a Yamaha AG Stomp. Having finished a song with the Tak I'd hit a 1:5:8 (in Drop D) and freeze it to a drone. When I switched over to the mandola preset on the AG the drone sounded completely different and seemed to be modulating somehow with the mic modelling section.

Then I'd play a song/tune on mandola over the drone.

I was really pleased with this until one evening when the bar manager of an Irish pub in Manchester beckoned me over and said, "it sounds fine but there's a bad buzz coming from somewhere".

PHILISTINES!!
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by BillB »

Brilliant. Esoteric Effect or Bad Buzz. Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by shufflebeat »

BillB wrote:Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

Artistically and philosophically correct but some people should keep their beholdings to themselves until they know what they're beholding about.

:)

While we're on the subject if anyone has an ambition to start a museum of acoustic instrument preamps and processors I may have some items of interest.
Last edited by shufflebeat on Sun May 09, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by BillB »

Mmmmm, processors. Do let us know...
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

That's not a proper museum you're thinking of.

Bad BillB!
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Luke W »

In general I'm fairly well behaved with pedals, although along the same sorts of lines as the Freeze I do have one of these sat in the box still:

It's mainly because I haven't quite finished putting together the rig that I bought it for, but apart from a quick play when it arrived to get to grips with what it does it has done very little.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by The Elf »

Luke W wrote:In general I'm fairly well behaved with pedals, although along the same sorts of lines as the Freeze I do have one of these sat in the box still:

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Superego+. I've given this one a few sideways glances as I think it would be great for my 'One Man and a Mellotron' improv gigs.
Last edited by The Elf on Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Luke W »

The Elf wrote: I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Superego+. I've given this one a few sideways glances as I think it would be great for my 'One Man and a Mellotron' improv gigs.

I'll keep you posted, that sort of thing sounds right up its street though. My initial impressions were good, a lot of potential but I think it'd definitely need some time invested to really get the hang of it.

You can connect a sustain pedal to control the freeze as well which I think is a nice touch. My feet are a bit unwieldy so I find the stompbox footswitches a bit tricky. :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

I must apologise to Luke W, as only by looking closely have I finally realised that his avatar is actually a clever design using his initials Luke Wood Audio, and not (as I've mistakenly thought for ages) a pair of trousers.

:shifty::blush:

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

I thought it was a moustache!

Post by Dynamic Mike »

The best way to solve the unused pedal conundrum is to buy something new to go on the other end of the cable :lol:
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Luke W »

Martin Walker wrote:I must apologise to Luke W, as only by looking closely have I finally realised that his avatar is actually a clever design using his initials Luke Wood Audio, and not (as I've mistakenly thought for ages) a pair of trousers.

:shifty::blush:

Martin

:lol:

You're not the first to think it! I myself can't unsee it after my friend kindly drew the rest of the body on for me...

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:I thought it was a moustache!

Drawing please! :D
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by BillB »

shufflebeat wrote:That's not a proper museum you're thinking of.

Bad BillB!

Oh, you were thinking of a proper museum. I thought you just meant a collection of gear which is often admired and occasionally played with. I already have one of those and your processors might have fitted right in...
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

True sods law style, recorded three tracks yesterday with a pedal I was on the verge of selling, fantastic.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

BillB wrote:

Bad BillB!

Oh, you were thinking of a proper museum. I thought you just meant a collection of gear which is often admired and occasionally played with. I already have one of those and your processors might have fitted right in...

Ah, sorry, I see you have entirely appropriate intentions.

We are curators for future vintage.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

BillB wrote:

Bad BillB!

Ah, sorry, I see you have entirely appropriate intentions.

We are curators for future vintage.

[Please insert emoji for "heavy irony" if the other thread ever bears fruit].
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster