Crackly treble/rhythm selector

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Crackly treble/rhythm selector

Post by IAA »

Hi, although I’m a keyboard player I “do a bit” of guitar. I have an Epiphone Les Paul which is fine, but for this crackly selector. Not having any guitar tech capabilities (at the mo although I’m handy with a screwdriver) what’s the best course of action? It’s not been played for about 6months which is likely the problem. :headbang:

Thanks all.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: Crackly treble/rhythm selector

Post by resistorman »

If it’s an open frame switch it will be very easy to clean the contacts with Deoxit. Pull the cover plate and have a look. Spraying into the top of the switch won’t help, BTW.
Last edited by resistorman on Sat May 15, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Wonks »

If it a box-style selector switch (it depends on the level of Epiphone you have) then you may fix it temporarily with a squirt of contact cleaner, but they are prone to sudden failure, so I’d always recommend replacing that style of switch with an open-frame Switchcraft unit.
Last edited by Wonks on Sat May 15, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by IAA »

Thanks both, I’ll check the switch and use some contact cleaner. I’ve looked up the open frame switch so if it’s not one of those I’ll replace too. It’s a 100 model, pretty basic IIRC, but completely fine for my limited guitar chops which involve the odd chord and comped solo note or two!

Cheers
IAA
Frequent Poster