Expression Pedal Recommendations?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Expression Pedal Recommendations?

Post by BWC »

It would be plugged in to one of the controller inputs of an IK Multimedia AXE I/O interface, and would be primarily for wah / volume, though I could imagine other creative uses, so versatility is always welcome.

Thanks,
BWC
Regular
Posts: 478 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Re: Expression Pedal Recommendations?

Post by IAA »

I use these in my keyboard rigs https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/volume-expression-pedals/moog-moogerfooger-ep3-expression-pedal

They just do the one thing they’re supposed to well. Have had one of them for at least 7 years + and it’s had some hammer! But still works great.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

The AXE I/O manual doesn't specify what sort of expression pedal is required apart from 'will work with any 1/4" TRS expression pedal', which I think is rather poor. Does the fixed voltage go out on the tip and the signal come back on the ring, or the fixed voltage go out on the ring and the signal come back on the tip? What is the maximum and minimum pot resistance that it will work with?

Whilst some pedals (like the Moogerfooger one) have a switch so that it can work in both modes, not all expression pedals do, and if you get the wrong one, then it won't work properly (or you have to rewire the cable to suit, which isn't great if you can't solder).

Another vote for the Moog pedal. I have one and although it hasn't had much use it's been 100% reliable and is well constructed. The minimum output pot control is also a useful feature.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17005 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Folderol »

I've no idea how they're designed these days, but the best ever that I came across had a lamp and an LDR. The pedal worked a vane between them. Beautifully smooth, with no pot to wear out. This was in the 1960s and was specific for a lugable simple organ :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Wonks »

But I expect that LDR was a CdS device. RoHS rules mean they can't be used in new equipment because of the cadmium. Which is why I need to finish off replacing the noisy add-on tremolo board in my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amp with the lamp/LDR 'roach' they fit in the US.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

And they are just pots, typically 25k, 50k or 100k, wired as potential dividers. Sometimes with a second pot wired as a variable resistor to provide a non-zero minimum setting facility.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Folderol »

Thanks Wonks. Pretty much as I suspected.
Incidentally, you can still get LDRs from RS (prolly Farnell too). I expect they'd work quite well with a yellow or green LED
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I like the Yamaha FC7. The pedal angle range can be configured for sitting or standing positions, and there is an adjustable spring-return 0-10 degree 'overpress' action if required for emphasis 'stabs' which can be handy. It has a 50k pot and the wiring obviously suits Yamaha keyboards, but I've not had any problems with any of the things I've plugged it into so far.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by BWC »

The Moog certainly looks like a solid choice. The other one that caught my eye while browsing is the Yamaha that Hugh likes, and for exactly those reasons.

Wonks wrote: The AXE I/O manual...

What I saw in the manual was a little different, but not really any more useful or detailed. I suspect, in keeping with the overall design philosophy of the thing, it's able to cope with as many scenarios as possible, and offers software control of curves, and ranges, and whatnot. For the record, a little soldering is not a problem for me, though my lazy side objects.

Thanks,
BWC
Regular
BWC

Post by Wonks »

Folderol wrote:Thanks Wonks. Pretty much as I suspected.
Incidentally, you can still get LDRs from RS (prolly Farnell too). I expect they'd work quite well with a yellow or green LED

It’s like 60/40 solder. You can still get it and use it for repair work but can’t use it commercially any more.

I’ve bought a pre-assembled ‘roach’, and have already removed the add-on board (I fail to see how they couldn’t design a circuit that didn’t make an audible tick every cycle). I just need to fit the ‘roach’.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

Apologies for the thread hijack but as I started I may as well finish...

Just soldered the 'roach in' and I now have an almost noiseless trem/vibrato. There's still a very faint pulse in the background, but its far quieter than anything I could get with the add-on board, and replacing the circuity driver valve may make it even quieter still. The add-on board had a trim pot to minimise the pulsing noise, but even the best adjustment couldn't make it silent. When playing, the noise got hidden, but when you stopped, back it came. It's now fully useable.

This will be the case in most of the Fender reissue amps built after RoHS came into effect in 2006, including the 65 Deluxe Reverb, or any other Fender amp that uses a LDR trem/vib circuit. And it's a pretty simple fix to replace the add in board with the lamp+LDR 'roach' and it will cost less about £10 for a pre-assembled 'roach'.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by BWC »

Wonks wrote: Apologies for the thread hijack...

Eh, these things happen. I'd think that there'd be a modern, fully compliant, optical expression pedal on the market, but I haven't come across one. Anyone know of such a thing?
BWC
Regular
BWC