Emily Wolfe Epiphone Sheraton Stealth

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Emily Wolfe Epiphone Sheraton Stealth

Post by Drew Stephenson »

BJG145 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:My package turns up around page 4 I think

Is that safe for work BD?

Approved by customs!
If not custom.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Random Guitarist »

Guess I'm in a minority as I kind of like the gold Duesenberg.

Loved those ibanez archtops as well and nearly bought one but this guitar won on the day. Wish I could have bought both.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by Dynamic Mike »

blinddrew wrote:I'll try and find the thread...

EDIT: here you go https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 22&t=60871
My package turns up around page 4 I think...

Very tempting but it says not recommended as a first build. I have plenty of woodworking experience but my electronics knowledge is close to zero. Should I start with something easier?
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Wonks »

A bolt-on neck kit would be the place to start. The Harley Benton kits are the cheapest, most complete kits out there that I’ve come across, plus the electronics all have push-fit connectors. The body wood is functional rather than ‘pretty’, so best finished in a solid colour IMO.

Both body and neck gave been reasonably sanded flat and sprayed with a clear sanding sealer. So staining the body and neck means sanding that all off first, though spraying with tinted lacquer is an option.

I’ve got a HB Jazz Bass kit and it’s not bad at all. I’m not using any of the kit hardware as I bought it to use up stuff that I hadn’t used on other builds. But the kit hardware and electronics are standard Chinese kit fare, useable but not outstanding.

The only real woodworking necessary on most kits is shaping the paddle headstock.

The Pit Bull kits are of variable quality, some with really annoying faults, so it’s a bit hit and miss. But they do offer ‘prettier’ kits with nice veneers on them (which are often spoilt by being covered in glue spots which need removing first (not always possible). The LP kits are probably the most reliable set-neck kits, but I think the bolt-ons are the safest bet.

Hollow body kits really aren’t that more complicated to build than solid body kits. Getting the wiring harness inside is the hardest part, but using latex tubing makes things pretty easy, just adds time.

But you really need to learn to solder if you want to start building kits. It gives you so many more options.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Dynamic Mike wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I'll try and find the thread...

EDIT: here you go https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 22&t=60871
My package turns up around page 4 I think...

Very tempting but it says not recommended as a first build. I have plenty of woodworking experience but my electronics knowledge is close to zero. Should I start with something easier?

Oops, I must have missed that bit about not being recommended as a first build.
In reality I didn't find it any more difficult than my bass so I'm not quite sure what's driving that. It is a bit nerve-wracking gluing the neck in but that's all about making sure you've done your prep.
And you don't really need electronics knowledge, just a soldering iron and the circuit diagram. Having a multi-meter to check continuity helps but I don't think that really counts as 'electronics'. :D
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Dynamic Mike »

Thanks, I think I'm up for it. I've disassembled strats and teles for refinishing & I'll entrust the soldering to my son if it looks too tricky. I might even try a bit of MOP or epoxy inlay decoration. I'm retiring in September so time won't be in short supply. :)

If looks half as good as yours I'll be a happy man.
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart