the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by The Elf »

There will always be a market for 'clones' of successful products.

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (Jon Ruskin 1819-1900)
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18167 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:There will always be a market for 'clones' of successful products.

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (Jon Ruskin 1819-1900)

But that's the trouble Elf, often it's really good, not worse in terms of sonics, the build and ergonomics may not be "ideal" but the sound is fine. Like the Behringer D, I couldn't tell the difference between that and my Mini Moog, it was actually shockingly good.
And I'm sure the other Berry clones are just the same.
I think in terms of sound generation and new types of synthesis the hardware keyboard has had its day, and it's in software these days, but are we really that interested in new types of sounds, are we REALLY??? I think it's all getting a bit same year, and how many sounds do we need for gods sake, maybe it's all peaked out.
And that's why people are still using old synths, and buying clones.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11070 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That’s another thing

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by Langur »

The Elf wrote:There will always be a market for 'clones' of successful products.

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (Jon Ruskin 1819-1900)

Yeah but as far as I know, it's the first time that a big corporation relies only (or almost only) on clones.
Langur
Posts: 3 Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by nathanscribe »

Arpangel wrote: And that's why people are still using old synths, and buying clones.

And guitars, and violins, and pianos. Even the bassoon!

They're all just instruments, people will like them or not and want to play them or not, and if new synthesis is mostly (but not always) software, well, maybe one day there'll be a set of laptops at the Albert Hall for the proms, but it's all good as long as it makes noise :)
User avatar
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1358 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by DGL. »

nathanscribe wrote:
Arpangel wrote: And that's why people are still using old synths, and buying clones.

And guitars, and violins, and pianos. Even the bassoon!

They're all just instruments, people will like them or not and want to play them or not, and if new synthesis is mostly (but not always) software, well, maybe one day there'll be a set of laptops at the Albert Hall for the proms, but it's all good as long as it makes noise :)

Now Kraftwerk at the proms is something I would watch :thumbup:
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1640 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by blinddrew »

nathanscribe wrote: And guitars, and violins, and pianos. Even the bassoon!

They're all just instruments, people will like them or not and want to play them or not,

Even banjos? ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18675 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by Wonks »

blinddrew wrote:
nathanscribe wrote: And guitars, and violins, and pianos. Even the bassoon!

They're all just instruments, people will like them or not and want to play them or not,

Even banjos? ;)

To cut costs. Behringer would just skip the building stage and just sell the firewood.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12762 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by The Elf »

Langur wrote:
The Elf wrote:There will always be a market for 'clones' of successful products.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (Jon Ruskin 1819-1900)

Yeah but as far as I know, it's the first time that a big corporation relies only (or almost only) on clones.

Ahem... Have you looked at the vast range of products that Behringer produce?!!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18167 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by Adam Inglis »

Arpangel wrote:[
But that's the trouble Elf, often it's really good, not worse in terms of sonics, the build and ergonomics may not be "ideal" but the sound is fine.

But that's it exactly... "ergonomics" (which I think probably includes the hard-to-define term "playability" of an instrument) is EXTREMELY important to musicians, and gets more important the more experienced you are, because it has a huge effect on creative flow.
It's not just the "sound", it's what you can do with it with your two hands in real time.
User avatar
Adam Inglis
Regular
Posts: 452 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by blinddrew »

Exactly this. I could buy a kit guitar, build it in a day, and the specifications would be virtually the same as whatever model it was based on. Wouldn't play, look or feel like a Fender/Gibson/whatever though. :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18675 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by Arpangel »

Adam Inglis wrote:
Arpangel wrote:[
But that's the trouble Elf, often it's really good, not worse in terms of sonics, the build and ergonomics may not be "ideal" but the sound is fine.

But that's it exactly... "ergonomics" (which I think probably includes the hard-to-define term "playability" of an instrument) is EXTREMELY important to musicians, and gets more important the more experienced you are, because it has a huge effect on creative flow.
It's not just the "sound", it's what you can do with it with your two hands in real time.

Absolutely true, but it depends on the clone, the knobs on the Berry D are small, but you get used to them, you can get used to anything. Connect a decent controller keyboard to it and you can be as expressive as you like. I really can't imagine it having a negative impact on my creative flow.
What I personally don't like are small keys, like on the Korg MS20 mini, they are just a step too far, and short keyboards too, they really do limit me in terms of just playing the thing.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11070 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That’s another thing

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by DGL. »

And another one, looks like their first prototype eurorack module (if you exclude the boog/neutron/pro one Etc.).
Going from a post on gearslutz it looks identical in layout to the Moog 921B VCO.

Image

Image
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1640 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset
Locked